I'm having problems with ringing notes during fast solos/slings. When I play slow-medium speed I mute by releasing my fingers kinda slow but I realize that I need to mute with my right hand as well. I've been practicing playing scales always muting the lower notes with my palm and the higher notes with my left but it's kinda awkward. Is that the right way to do it. Tips and links appreciated.

Regards
Richard
Remember that muting isn't a replacement for good technique, if you're playing too fast and getting sloppy no amount of muting will rescue you - you need to work on cleaning up your playing and being more accurate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That was the whole idea with the post.

I consider myself accurat. I rarely hit a string I shouldn't. The problem is that the strings start moving by themselves when you play and with a LOT of distortion the start to sound a LOT as well.

I also never play (except sometimes to see improvement) above my capacity.
I don't play sloppily (I think). The problem is fast solos like I mentioned. For example:

Fade to black starts with an easy solo but in the end of it there's a small part that goes a bit faster:

p                        )\ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|---14-19-14-----15^14---------------------/--\------------|
|-15--------15--------15---17-15-14-------/----\-----------|
|-------------16--------14---------16-14-/----(14)---------|
|----------------------------------------------------------|

(It didn't copy good but those of you who knows the song prolly understands)

Anyway at the 15-14 fret pulloff I find my first problem. When I move my index from E string to the G string (at the fourth note) the E string rings. Because if I remove my index slow enough to mute it the solo is to slow.

This is just an example. I don't believe this is sloppy playing, but maybe I'm wrong. I need help solving it though..
Angle your middle finger on the attack of the 15th fret, B string to touch the e string and mute it. Your index should be off the e string and on its way to the G string while you are fretting the b string with your middle. Then slightly bar your index finger (a very shallow angle to the fretboard) to mute all the strings below the G.

Raw accuracy doesn't account for resonance. You can fret the G string and only the G string and the perfect place behind the fret, but that won't stop other strings from resonating with it when you pluck it. I use my palm of my picking hand in conjunction with my fretting hand attacking at shallow angles to mute strings.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Apr 15, 2008,
So I basically had the right idea? Because then I'm considering going back to the very beginning ALWAYS muting ALL strings to really get the hang of it. But I didn't want to do it if it was wrong.

One who understood me at least

Thanks

[EDIT]
BTW. Is it good practice to mute the lower string, say the E string when playing the A string? It feels okay to me anyways...
Last edited by riwa at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by riwa

The problem is that the strings start moving by themselves when you play and with a LOT of distortion the start to sound a LOT as well.

Turn down the gain?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Yeah but sometimes I want a lot of gain and I've been trying it now and it seems to work fine (sometimes) just a bit awkward.