I am sitting at americanmusical.com right now with these two amps in my cart but of course I'm only getting one. Buying a used 5150 or such off ebay is out of the question as I can only do payment plans right now. I play only heavymetal (trash,deathcore) through a Jackson DKMG with active emg81/85 pickups. My budget is about 600 dollars, which make the valveking($400) a bargain and the spidervalve a slight reach ($700). Also I can only order from americanmusical for this so amps like the randall rg50 are out of the question.
valveking=sex DO IT I DARE YA MWAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA.

im a weird motha ****a. but thats besides the point....

um go for the valve king, its nicer trust me
Both those amps aren't great, try stuff out, save up before you make the mistake of buying something you don't like.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Both those amps aren't great, try stuff out, save up before you make the mistake of buying something you don't like.

what????? you think neither of the amps are great ????

in its pricerange and considering the features... exactly which amp sounds better than the valveking?

again in its pricerange with similar features, which amp sounds/performs its function better than the spider valve?

have you actually tried these amps out or are you just forming an opinion on them based on looks & price?

peace

G
in actual response to your question popcorn88

the spider valve is an awsome amp if you can afford it. But if you have a shed load of effects already, you might wanna go for the valveking, which despite all the gear snobbery sounds really good, but youd need a distortion pedal to do really heavy stuff.

theyre both great amps but do very different things funtionally.

the spider valve has a really nice warm sound to it and is totally tweakable as it is out of the box.

the valveking is an awsome buy for the money if you already have a collection of pedals/effects - oh and dont fall into the trap of replacing the speakers with V30s if you wanna play metal, cos theyll make it sound too vintage for metal in my opinion.

somebody said go for the 2x12 valveking - good move as its more tweakable in that it will power an extension cab at the same time as the internal speakers, the 1x12 will mute its internal speaker when you plug in an extension cab.

Peace

G
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Apr 15, 2008,
I've got a Valveking 112. I aslo play just all kinds of metal. I haven't played a spidervalve, but I can give my opinion on the valveking.

The valveking is an awesome low buget valve amp, but you will need some pedals for playing metal. I use a Boss metalcore on the clean channel for modern type stuff and an Zakk Wylde OD on the OD channel to help it on. The OD channels sound is not very great due to the Valveking's stock speaker. The clean channel is great but as soon as you switch, I sounds very muddy. Most people replace the speaker, I myself am looking at a Celestion Vintage 30, but it is very expensive. So take into account when you buy the amp you will probably want to change the speaker at one point. Also the overdriven channel has a boost feature, but it just does not cut it for me, thats why I am using the OD stomp on it.

The choices I had to make when I bought the was between the Valveking and the Ashdown Fallen Angel DSP. The DSP whoul have been my personal choice, but sadly it was discontinued and I could not get a hold of one here in "left-behind" South Africa.

But as you already, know the ultimate test is to go out and play it

Hope this helps, and makes your decision a bit easier.
My gear:

Schecter Revenger FR
ESP Ltd Viper-500 (Seymour Duncan SH-4(N) + SH-12(B))
----
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde OD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
----
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by rhcp_freak

+1

Out of those, I'd go with the VK. The 2x12 might be a good idea for metal, although saving the money and putting it towards a new speaker and tubes isn't a bad idea, either.

I'd give a long look to the Crate V50, or maybe one of the new Bugeras, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thanks everyone! I thought about the bugeras but I think they are too new and coming from behrigher, there are just too many uncertainties. I think I will go with the peavey and a metal muff.
Quote by slatsmania
+1

Out of those, I'd go with the VK. The 2x12 might be a good idea for metal, although saving the money and putting it towards a new speaker and tubes isn't a bad idea, either.

I'd give a long look to the Crate V50, or maybe one of the new Bugeras, too.

+1, the new Bugera looks nice.

Quote by popcorn88
thanks everyone! I thought about the bugeras but I think they are too new and coming from behrigher, there are just too many uncertainties. I think I will go with the peavey and a metal muff.

Nah, just because they're from Behringer, doesn't mean they're as bad quality as actual Behringers are.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
How many of you actually have a Spider Valve?

I just kinda came over the same bridge. I could not decide between the Valveking 212 or the Spider Valve 112.

Well I walked out with the Spider Valve. (Got a screaming deal at a local shop $600 out the door.) I have had it for almost 4 days now and I can't stop playing. This is a real nice amp. Awesome range of tones.......I do not regret the decision at all.

Keep in mind that I was ready to get the Valveking 212, 2-Man-O-War speakers and new tubes......

theDogger
Quote by strings-N-stuff
Spider Valve was ok to my ear it diden't have too much of a digital sound.

I'd look into B-52s

You can't compare a hunk of loud with an EQ (B-52) to the Valveking imo.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance