So i try this, but i fail, ...miserably.

I've played for a at least 4yrs, i know strumming patterns etc,
But i cannot sing and play at the same time. I pretty much instantly go out of time.

Anyhelp?
Practice, practice, practice. Make sure you can sing well to begin with. Make sure you can play the guitar riffs. After you can do either one without trying, then combine. That's what worked for me.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
I'm struggling with this right now as well. The thing that helps me out the most is having both the tab/chords in front of me as well as the lyrics. I know them both separately but it helps me focus when practicing.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
It's hard. When I was learning, I pretty much rewound my guitar skill level by 2 or 3 years. (I taught myself around 4 years as well)

Play REALLY simple stuff with really repetitive strumming patterns.

Also, you can try singing the melody without the words to free up some of your brain's processing power at first.
start out with playing melody rather than chords so ur singing exactly wat ur playing then move on to chords etc.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
I taught myself to sing and play guitar at the same time with songs that had very simple rhythm riffs. I started with Master of Puppets and Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr. Start slow and easy, and move up.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
I learned by playin country music in cause theyre very easy strumming patterns of up down up down on beat. Find songs with that, and you'll be on your way.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Either the singing or the playing has to be auto pilot standard.

It's a juggling act.

Rub your head pat your stomach, once you can juggle the 2 things on something very simple then move on up.
im trying to sing while playing 'slow cheetah' and i end up screwing it up about10 seconds into it.
i just make sure i know the guitar part without even thinkin about it. it's definitely hard to do when you're playing a riff though
Play single notes, and hum them at the same time. This is so you can get the tone your voice needs. Once you can do this, move up to actually putting words to the single notes you are playing. After this, try chording some stuff. After much practice, you should be able to sing and play independently of each other, but it is A LOT of practice, practice, practice....
Pick really simple stuff to start with. Green Day, CCR, etc. Stuff where the accented beat gets both a down strum and an accented word.

Notice which words are accented simultaneously with which down strums and be sure to try to match those up. Simplify the guitar part to just a couple of down strums per bar if necessary until you get a feel for it.

Like:

LEFT a good job in the CIty, WORKin for the MAN every NIGHT and day....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I don't think this helps much. I just can do it and have been able. I can gallop while singing and play unusual chord patterns while singsing it's just a gift you get. Some people can just multitask cause I can think about both while playing and singing
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
Quote by nasadm
I don't think this helps much.

Agreed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ive been playing for 9 years and have the same problem
Forrest Drouin
Quote by nasadm
I don't think this helps much. I just can do it and have been able. I can gallop while singing and play unusual chord patterns while singsing it's just a gift you get. Some people can just multitask cause I can think about both while playing and singing
It's not like you can't, ya know, pick it up...
i am in the same boat.

the usual responses of "you have to know the song like the back of your hand" just aren't useful.

this must be a problem with multi-rythmn. i just posted in the singing thread asking for some exercises to improve this... i can only think drumming will improve it.

i can strum out a rythmn, but if the vocals go to a counter melody, i have NO chance of keeping correct rythmn. There must be some way of learning to counter-rythmn.

i dont know.

p.s. i used a lot of 'made up on the spot' terminologies in this post.
Try strumming just straight quarter notes, whole notes even at first. Then try straight eighths, then take out/add in whatever rhythms.
yeah, i guess the more practise the better, but the way i see it... if i went and got lessons, singing or guitar, they would give me some exercises to do to improve my abilities, right?

what would these lessons be? so i can do them myself

classic problem - Nirvana, Come as you are. Easy riff. Easy vocals. Bloody frustrating to put them together.
Uh, was that to me? I wish I knew, that's just the best I could come up with. And I know what you mean about Come As You Are.