What are some pedals that will help me get his tone? As for amps i really need one and i was think about a fender hot rod deville. I know John uses Marshall amps, but i really play alot of John Mayer and SRV so when i play RHCP do you think that a fender could pull it off? But i really want to know more about the pedals that would get me closer to his sound.I have a 57 american strat (like him lol) and my price rage for amps are 700-800$ and for pedals it can be as much as you want lol. Thanks!!

By the way i really like the clean sound that he is getting here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W604Va9Lmjg
Last edited by zaffie8808 at Apr 15, 2008,
As you hear, his clean sound isn't really "clean" - there is always a little bit of dirt in his sound; therefore, any amp that manages to produce good "inbetween" sounds (between clean and light overdrive) will be good for you.

For his distorted tones, you just have to buy BOSS DS-2 and Big Muff Pi/some other kind of fuzz (though Big Muff is probably your best bet here, and it's cheap). For more modulated stuff get some BOSS chorus pedal (CH-1 or CE-5), some phaser (maybe MXR 90 cheap one) and delay - I know that John likes to use Line6 Delay Modeler, but they are quite expensive, so you will be better off with any of BOSS delays, he doesn't use very often so it should do the job.

EDIT: Oh, and if you want a good wah and you can't afford Ibanez WH-10 (not to mention that they are hard to get), buy Budda BudWah, it's an amazing pedal, does both clean and distorted sounds really well, it's much better than any Dunlops, Vox etc.
Last edited by zombiak at Apr 15, 2008,
What amps amps??? a jcm 800 or 900 combo on ebay or do you think the deville for my srv john mayer and clapton tones pull RHCP off.

Oh i aslo play hendrix so which marshall would be the best for him and Frusciante???
He has a kinda OD'd tone, which is still fairly clear and light. He gets his rhythm distortion out of a DS-2, and for solos, he uses a Big Muff/Muff'n/Fuzzrite. He uses a vintage MIJ Boss CE-1, you might like to get one of the vintage MIJ CE-2s, which are fairly the same as it, and can be found on eBay. I reccomend you get an EHX Small Stone for a phaser, too. Any decent delay would also do you good, and a Holy Grail if you want reverb.

On the topic of wahs, IMO you should get any wah that is right for YOU. This is because no other wah sounds quite like the WH-10. Sure, It'd be awesome to get a WH-10, but there really isn't much of a point, as getting a wah you like is better for you, than getting a wah that works good for someone else, as it wont necessarily work for you.

John's main Strat is a vintage '62 Strat, and the only '57 he owns is a black one, which he used for just one show.

The Hot Rod Deville would probably do you good.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
you say you have a budget for an amp, then as much as you want for pedals..

why dont you spend a bit more on an amp to help get the tone you want ?
are you wanting a combo or a head+stack ?

my advice, get a Marshall Valve Amp, then likezombiak said, the Boss DS-2 (i use mine for solos). The OD channels an the marshalls are very very good
Quote by Carlson-online
you say you have a budget for an amp, then as much as you want for pedals..

why dont you spend a bit more on an amp to help get the tone you want ?
are you wanting a combo or a head+stack ?

my advice, get a Marshall Valve Amp, then likezombiak said, the Boss DS-2 (i use mine for solos). The OD channels an the marshalls are very very good

would a jcm900 combo be good??? or would a head+stack be better??
^Actually, this is the first one I've seen in some time.
TS, get a combo. Not only are they cheaper, but you can actually carry it.
Quote by zaffie8808
would a jcm900 combo be good??? or would a head+stack be better??

a combo would probably be better in your situation, and the jcm800's would be better for the sound your after as well, Frusciante used to use them around Mothers Milk era ...
POST FINDER
Quote by mattreid222
a combo would probably be better in your situation, and the jcm800's would be better for the sound your after as well, Frusciante used to use them around Mothers Milk era ...

Yeah, a JCM800'd do you really good for Froosh. Something like a JTM45 would do well for teh Cali era, but on the whole, I'd recommend a JCM800.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Yeah, a JCM800'd do you really good for Froosh. Something like a JTM45 would do well for teh Cali era, but on the whole, I'd recommend a JCM800.

exactly, a JTM45 would probably be better for the Hendrix and SRV stuff as well
POST FINDER
^Yeah, but didn't he have only 700-800 bucks to spend?
Quote by GreekRockr9
Is it just me, or does someone post wanting a John Frusciante tone every week?

More like every day :p But who doesn't wanna have his vintage tone?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
^Yeah, but didn't he have only 700-800 bucks to spend?

More like every day :p But who doesn't wanna have his vintage tone?

Teh Gilmour.

I wouldn't say his distortion was very vintage.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by mattreid222
exactly, a JTM45 would probably be better for the Hendrix and SRV stuff as well

yeah those are nice, but i think it will be a bit too bluesy.
Even more better for him: A plexi lead!!

Really man, get the ceriation plexi and some greenbacks in youre cabinet and off you go to hendrixfrooshland.

check www.ceriatione.com
+1 for JCM 800/900 combo.

Then get yourself a Crybaby and mod the living **** out of it. If you can't solder, learn.

Big Muff for his fuzzier tones, MXR Phase, and a Boss Chorus.
You would be better off with a blues Jr than a hot rod.

Also, pickups are just as important as his pedals. And although John has a 57 strat, he typicially plays 1 of his many 62 strats.
Not taking any online orders.
What would be better for the tone in this vid the jcm 800 combo or the jcm900 combo. so i guess im asking which has better cleans and can the jcm's do srv and hendrix
What would be better for the tone in this vid the jcm 800 combo or the jcm900 combo. so i guess im asking which has better cleans and can the jcm's do srv and hendrix?

There you go. Get all of those!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I can get a good frusciante tone out of my Blues Jr. Plus it's a lot lighter than the aforementioned amps and a lot cheaper
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Omg, I've been trying this too.
I hate that he has so many pedals! I mean, It's really awesome but it makes it harder for me to get that sound since I don't have the money.. xD
Quote by zaffie8808
What would be better for the tone in this vid the jcm 800 combo or the jcm900 combo. so i guess im asking which has better cleans and can the jcm's do srv and hendrix

I need someone to answer this question..
lol
Quote by zaffie8808
I need someone to answer this question..
lol

No one ever seems to have a direct answer to that...
John Frusciante used a JCM800 back in the days, so I'd say either go for that one or save up for a JTM45.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
So which amp would be better to get the tone he has in the video the jcm800 or 900?? And should a get a combo jcm800 or 900?? Which has better cleans?? lol
I've no idea, sorry dude. I haven't tried either of them, all I know is that John used a JCM800 during his Mother's Milk era (dunno about BSSM and further on), so if I were you I'd go for a JCM800. But if I were you I'd get a half stack because a JCM800 is a half stack in my book :P
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard