I'm looking to upgrade my ram from 1gb to 2gb. I'm running XP so that shouldn't be a problem but it says my processors secondary memory cache is 1024mb, essentially 1gb. Does this mean that my cpu can only handle and therefore recognise 1gb of ram? Please help pit!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
hello fellow weasel!

no, the secondary cache is like a shortcut memory, things that get accessed frequently are stored there, also used for operating system things where its quicker to access from cache memory than from main memory.

so, no upgrading to 2gb ram should be fine, just make sure you get the right sort.

EDIT: Im pretty sure cache clears itself when you shut the PC off
if memory serves me correctly
your cpu memory cache has nothing to do with your actual physical ram

all you need to do is go out and buy the type of ram that is suitable to your motherboard
and install it
and then u have 2gb of ram!

lol good luck
How does RAM affect your PC?

Does it make it faster or something?
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Thank you both, and good to meet a fellow weasel. I know I have ddr2 ram, but I am unsure how to find out how many pins I need. Is there anyway I can find this out without simply taking it out and counting them?
Quote by Alter-Bridge

Quote by rworsl

Quote by Vermintide

RAM helps load applications faster, if you have 1 Gig of RAM it'd probably take 1-2 minutes to load the first level of Crysis (if it would even boot), but if you had 2 gigs it'd probably take 1-1 1/2 minutes to load. It also lets you run multiple things at once without your computer slowing down.
To find the number of pins you have.....erm look in the manual i think, there is somewhere in your system settings you can see i think but i cant remember whereabouts exactly.

sorry, not very helpful i know
Quote by mix.lunar
RAM helps load applications faster, if you have 1 Gig of RAM it'd probably take 1-2 minutes to load the first level of Crysis (if it would even boot), but if you had 2 gigs it'd probably take 1-1 1/2 minutes to load. It also lets you run multiple things at once without your computer slowing down.

Meaning 512MB RAM is pretty ****e.

███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
Manual? Yeah I kinda lost that I think. In system settings you say? I shall look. And to mix.lunar, Crysis does boot =]. *throws Korean through a wall*
Quote by Alter-Bridge

Quote by rworsl

Quote by Vermintide

well in some cases it does. if you have little ram and your trying to do alot of jobs then you run out of ram to use. and since your computer needs to free up ram to do a job what it does it. write the uneeded stuff to a temp spot on your hard drive. then when it needs that memory back again it gets it back off the hard drive. bad thing about this is. it uses alot of processing power to do so. and writing and reading from the hard drive makes it even more slow.

so with all that going on your computer is now slower because of all the extra work it is doing just to run the apps.

the way to check this is if you get into perfmon and look at how much pages your system is doing. if there is alot of paging going on then that means your system is doing a lot of what i just explained.

(To the guy who asked about RAM effecting the pc)

so if you had more RAM then your system will be faster due to the fact it doesn't need to read and write the the disk all the time just to run a application
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Unless you've got a laptop, your DDR2 has 240 pins. Your CPU has nothing to do with the amount of RAM your computer can support. Just make sure you don't buy slower RAM then you currently have installed, as they need to run at the same speed, the new one will slow your RAM down...
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
secondary cache? sounds like it could be 1024kb, meaning 1Mb... this is cache memory on the CPU, nothing to do with RAM..
install 2GB it will be able to handle the memory, although XP has a limite of 2.5GB so thats the most i would install (2GB)
Quote by HeliuM
Unless you've got a laptop, your DDR2 has 240 pins. Your CPU has nothing to do with the amount of RAM your computer can support. Just make sure you don't buy slower RAM then you currently have installed, as they need to run at the same speed, the new one will slow your RAM down...

I beg to differ there.
it does to an extent, but if its anything made after an intel p3 itll support 2GB of memory

OP what is your current CPU? im guessing itll be either an athlon XP or atleast and intel P4, which will support 2GB or more of RAM, also check your motherboard, if you have 2 DIMM slots and it currently has 1GB split over 512mb x2 youll need to buy the full 2GB of ram, which is about £60+
Quote by Daniel8488
secondary cache? sounds like it could be 1024kb, meaning 1Mb... this is cache memory on the CPU, nothing to do with RAM..
install 2GB it will be able to handle the memory, although XP has a limite of 2.5GB so thats the most i would install (2GB)

I believe XP actually has a limit of 3.25gb RAM, mine shows up as 3.25GB with 2x 2GB sticks (4GB) installed. I think it's the same for any 32bit system, if you want to go over that, you'll need a 64bit OS.

To OP -

Upgrading your RAM will most probably have a very noticeable effect on your computers performance, but make sure your motherboard supports the right type of RAM. Chances are if you're PC has 1GB of RAM, and had 1GB or RAM when you bought it, it wont support DDR2 (most computers with later motherboards come with at least 2GB RAM from the factory). The problem with this is buying 2GB of ram that is not DDR2 normally costs a lot more than DDR2 RAM. In other words, check the compatibility with your mobo before you buy, obviously. If the price of the RAM goes over £80 or so, it may be worth looking into a new motherboard since it will open up a lot more upgrading possibilities in the future (a good one will cost you around £75-£80), but I'm not sure if you want to go that far. Overall you will spend more, but 2GB of DDR2 RAM normally costs around £40, and if you would otherwise spend £80 alone on the RAM, it might be worth just upgrading the motherboard and getting the cheap RAM with it.

Edit: Whoops didn't read that you were sure about having DDR2 RAM.
Last edited by Hawiz at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by Hawiz
I believe XP actually has a limit of 3.25gb RAM, mine shows up as 3.25GB with 2x 2GB sticks (4GB) installed. I think it's the same for any 32bit system, if you want to go over that, you'll need a 64bit OS.

Yup, and that's my IT related pedantry over for the day!
CPU Cache = nothing to do with physical RAM.

Upgrade all you want, just be aware that a 32-bit OS won't see anything about 3.25 (as already said).
Quote by saphrax
I beg to differ there.

I beg to differ you're wrong. It depends on the chipset (the northbridge to be exactly)
yeh i was gonna say download CPU-Z and go to the memory tab
and it will tell u about what type of ram u have.

Download:
CPU-Z

ive circled in red the information u need to tell the place your buying your ram from
yours (probably) will be different to mine.

hope this helps.
Quote by cheese_weasel
I'm looking to upgrade my ram from 1gb to 2gb. I'm running XP so that shouldn't be a problem but it says my processors secondary memory cache is 1024mb, essentially 1gb. Does this mean that my cpu can only handle and therefore recognise 1gb of ram? Please help pit!

If i was you i would by a horse
Alzzz