I want to get a tattoo that is basically of a street artist's work (or atleast in the style of); but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I've got a couple of options....

Obviously I could just print out what I want and take it to a tattoo shop, hope they don't ask too many question, and get it done (although I'm not sure how cool they would be with this). The problem with this is that many tattoo artists are familiar with the street art scene, and this guy is well known, so they might recognize his stuff.

Another option, I could try to contact the elusive artist to receive permission, which is the ideal scenario. I've yet to see anyone with his stuff tattoo'd yet, so he might be flattered as his stuff carries a political message. But there is a chance that he might say no (in which case I couldn't get the tattoo, which I really want); or that he may ask for a substantial fee before granting permission.

Granted, if he did say no, I could always try to get it anyway via option 1; but because he explicitly said no, I'd be far more liable to get sued (plus I don't want that on my conscious).

What should I do?
Last edited by Yougeee!!!! at Apr 15, 2008,
It's the artists work, you really should have his permission.
I'd feel really guilty walking around with a copyright infringement on me...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Is it Banksy? It's Banksy, isn't it?

Furthermore, if it is; is it the picture of the Mona Lisa with a Bazooka?
Body modification thread. Link in my sig.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by Volstkjar
Is it Banksy? It's Banksy, isn't it?

Furthermore, if it is; is it the picture of the Mona Lisa with a Bazooka?

Naw man, it isn't; but his stuff is pretty cool... lol.

Quote by fortysix&2

Yea, this is the feeling I have in my gut too. Oh well, I'll just cross my fingers that I can get teh permission.
i think in true street artist style you should tag something near the work you like asking and hope it gets back to him and await a response. if its banksy i dont thin there will be a problem. he seems a cool guy. but if i found sum1 with a tatoo of my work i had said no to i wouldnt like to be them after i had finished. if you get me
Quote by AvengedThrice
Best thread name EVER.

Just attack 'em with some pliers dude.

about me XD

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote:

I wish I was gay.
I didn't know you had to get permission for something like that. But if you asked him I think he'd be flattered you'd want to get it.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y
nachocheeez, that was awesome.
Quote by fortysix&2

Like an iPod full of [illegitimately downloaded] music, per se?
Anyway, street artists want their art to be seen and I doubt very much would have copyrighted it. As long as it's a good tattoo I can't see why they'd kick up a fuss anyway. And this is assuming you're going to meet them and stick your tattoo in their face.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!