I need a good solid delay that will hold up to lots of road use. While my Short Timer is a good sounding delay, and my Ross is a killer analog delay, I go through numerous settings during the course of a live show, and need a good tap tempo delay. Also, I am considering selling the Ross, as I have found them to be quite valuable.

I almost sprung for the DL-4 but I keep hearing about reliability issues. I'm hoping to hear from some of you guys who own them. Any big problems? Can you save settings?

I also keep hearing good things about the DD-20. Is it worth the money?

BTW I know they sound good, I have played on them. I want to hear more about long term use as this is an investment in something to last a while
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I'd go for the DL-4 personally. More intuitive, less bulky.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
From my experiences, Boss pedals are built like tanks. I'd doubt there would be reliability issues there, and as far as the pedal's operation itself goes, I haven't had any problems with my DD-20 since I've owned it.

I faced this problem a few months ago looking and ended up with a DD-20. How many delay settings do you use? The DD-20 offers 5 presets, while the DL-4 only offers three. The DD-20 has a tap tempo, but you have to hold the right pedal for two seconds, which it doesn't look like you have to do with the DL-4, but if anything, you can get a cheap external tap tempo switch for the DD-20.

One thing about the DD-20 I've realized is that contrary to most other delays, it likes to be first in the signal chain. If you can sacrifice using it as a looper (the SOS sounds terrible in my opinion, though I haven't tried it with the DD-20 last in the chain), the delays sound much nicer if the DD-20 is up front. Recently I've moved mine to last in the chain, and I'm not sure I like the sounds I'm getting right now.

Hope that helps.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I've used them both, but own neither (I'm in the process of trying to make up my mind myself).

I think the DL-4 is much easier to tweak settings on the fly, and I didn't even really use the presets, just tapped in a new one for each song. Plus, the fact that a DL-4 appears on virtually every professional pedalboard I've seen has got to account for something. However, the unreliability of this unit is the stuff of legend.

The DD-20's repeats sound much better to me and the thing could probably survive a nuclear attack, but I had a heck of a time dialing in settings.

So here's the quandary I face: obviously my audience isn't going to care much about the sound quality of the repeats on my delay pedal, meaning the most important factor to me is the ease of use, and for that DL-4 takes the cake. But will it crap out on me?

That probably didn't help you one bit.
Lol, thats ok....I still am not too sure..but i think i'm gonna keep researching. I do think they compare to each other fairly well. And yeah, I do keep seeing the DL-4 on pro pedalboards. But part of that could be because the DD-20 came out more recently...i dunno. Thanks for help so far.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
i have a few questions about both pedals

1) how many taps does it need to lock in the tempo?

2) infinate repeats?

3) and can it achieve the sound on the track called "curtsy" at 2:45 www.myspace.com/fieldlings
like the swelling analog delay sound?