Page 1 of 3
Seriously, It blows my mind. They're just so chunky and they feel clumsy. Does anyone here use 3mms? What is the benefit of such a fat pick?
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Thicker picks allow you to play faster and more accurately. But I doubt there is much difference between 2 & 3mm. I use between 1.14 & 1.5 mm
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Synyster Gates is neither fast nor clean; check out Rusty Cooley, Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert and Guthrie Govan on youtube then you will know what it means to really be in control of your instrument.

On a more related note: pick thickness is a matter of taste, if you don't like it then don't bother with it, get a thinner one.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
umm sorry i'm not an A7X fanboy but i think i can tell when i hear sloppy playing. if you're talking about LIVE, then i wouldn't really know whether or not he plays as accurately and fast as he does on record. but on album, i don't hear any sloppiness at all. and he does have a fast tempo in a lot of his leadwork.

now if you were to say he's not the FASTEST or MOST ACCURATE then i'd agree, but just b/c it's A7X does not mean you have the right to deny his talent.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
umm sorry i'm not an A7X fanboy but i think i can tell when i hear sloppy playing. if you're talking about LIVE, then i wouldn't really know whether or not he plays as accurately and fast as he does on record. but on album, i don't hear any sloppiness at all. and he does have a fast tempo in a lot of his leadwork.

now if you were to say he's not the FASTEST or MOST ACCURATE then i'd agree, but just b/c it's A7X does not mean you have the right to deny his talent.

F-F-F-FANBOY
and relating to the TS's topic, yes i find the small fat picks a lot better for lead work and fast rhythm work. i love them. the only thing i don't prefer them for is acoustic chord work or clean electric chord rhythms in acoustic style.

for me, thinner big picks sound great on an acoustic guitar for rhythm. but for everything else i'd have smaller thicker picks, preferably dunlop stubbies.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Synyster Gates is neither fast nor cleanQUOTE]

you are SUCH a tool
Fallen Into the Abyss of indignity, Doubt Does Not exist Or Dome Into Being Ignominious and Pale
Quote by slash_rocks2005

I have every right to deny his 'talent' and you cannot judge the quality of a guitarist from a studio recording because of all the millions of tricks that studios have to clean up sloppy players. Live he sucks and even on records his sweeps are kind of sloppy.

I'm naysaying because he's in A7X, he's not a bad songwriter it's just that of all the people to be hailed as a new guitar god like some people seem to think he is is just wrong when there are so many more deserving people out there.

Quote by Nekrofagist
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Synyster Gates is neither fast nor clean

you are SUCH a tool

Why? Because Syn isn't that good? Have you any idea how sloppy he is compared to huge amounts of people? Even his fastest, sloppiest playing is nothing special in terms of speed, clean-ness or originality.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Synyster Gates is neither fast nor clean.

you are SUCH A TOOL
Fallen Into the Abyss of indignity, Doubt Does Not exist Or Dome Into Being Ignominious and Pale
Its a lot easier to play fast with thick picks because
you dont need as much force to get a note to ring.

Imagine taking a Church Bell and hitting it with a wooden plank......

...now imagine hitting that same bell with a piece of cardboard from a cereal packet.

Thats the difference the thick picks make.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have every right to deny his 'talent' and you cannot judge the quality of a guitarist from a studio recording because of all the millions of tricks that studios have to clean up sloppy players. Live he sucks and even on records his sweeps are kind of sloppy.

I'm naysaying because he's in A7X, he's not a bad songwriter it's just that of all the people to be hailed as a new guitar god like some people seem to think he is is just wrong when there are so many more deserving people out there.

dont argue with him if he doesn't know who paul gilbert is
straightedge, don't make me summon my evil cat of destruction on you. her name is Patches, and she likes Black Sabbath and Ronnie James Dio. Do you like having a soul? Cuz if not, she'll suck it right out of you.

anyways, call me a fanboy if you want i could care less. i like their new album. hey guess what? i listen to OTHER bands that get flamed on here too!! i have every Kid Rock album starting from DWAC, i've liked some C&C, i REALLY like some Static-X too. well .... i guess i'm jus a regular ol' tool.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
want to hear fast/clean playing ?? listen to apocalyptica..... if those guys played guitars how fast would they be man!!!!!! (they all play cellos btw, they done lot of metallica covers.... n other metal covers)
well he's not that clen or fast but, the general consensus is that small fat picks are good for intricate picking but some players use larger thinner picks, steve vai's picks are in no way small, although im not sure of the gauge
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

hey guess what? i listen to OTHER bands that get flamed on here too!! i have every Kid Rock album starting from DWAC, i've liked some C&C, i REALLY like some Static-X too.

Goddam ur gay!!! to the max!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
of all the people to be hailed as a new guitar god like some people seem to think he is is just wrong when there are so many more deserving people out there.

Like Luke Hoskin of Protest The Hero
whoa whoa whoa....when did i say this guy was a guitar god? i don't think i ever even said he was close to god status haha. i'm saying he's got talent and just b/c his playing style, he's automatically compared to Legends 100 X better than him and if that's the case he'll never get any credit for what he has accomplished. You keep comparing these new guys to Vai, Satch, and Gilbert and it'll always end up the same, "LOLZ he thinkz hEs ShreDD-o-mAtIC, im gonNa go LisTEn to my PaUL gilBert reCorD"
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by the agony scene
dont argue with him if he doesn't know who paul gilbert is

+1
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by Nekrofagist
you are SUCH A TOOL

being right doesn't make him a tool o.O.
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by slash_rocks2005
straightedge, don't make me summon my evil cat of destruction on you. her name is Patches, and she likes Black Sabbath and Ronnie James Dio. Do you like having a soul? Cuz if not, she'll suck it right out of you.

anyways, call me a fanboy if you want i could care less. i like their new album. hey guess what? i listen to OTHER bands that get flamed on here too!! i have every Kid Rock album starting from DWAC, i've liked some C&C, i REALLY like some Static-X too. well .... i guess i'm jus a regular ol' tool.

I could take a stab at your favorite Metallica album.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

yup, you just lost all of your musical credibility
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

GuitarManNick you can blow me, cuz i know for a fact every single person on this site listens to bands that they wouldn't admit on a forum. only difference is i don't compensate for a small d*ck by telling people i only listen to the most RESPECTED and GODLY musicians. nothing defines the word of TOOL more than a bunch of people on a forum pretending they don't listen to anything that would be considered 'uncool' by the likes of the rest of the crowd. yall are makin me sick with your 'higher-than-thou-who-listens-to-what-he-likes' attitude
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
don't have a favorite metallica album. the stuff i enjoy the most is my 80s rock. i listen to a lot more AC/DC than i do Metallica.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Nekrofagist
you are SUCH A TOOL

I may be a tool but at least I know how the edit button works

Quote by slash_rocks2005
whoa whoa whoa....when did i say this guy was a guitar god? i don't think i ever even said he was close to god status haha. i'm saying he's got talent and just b/c his playing style, he's automatically compared to Legends 100 X better than him and if that's the case he'll never get any credit for what he has accomplished. You keep comparing these new guys to Vai, Satch, and Gilbert and it'll always end up the same, "LOLZ he thinkz hEs ShreDD-o-mAtIC, im gonNa go LisTEn to my PaUL gilBert reCorD"

I never said you said he was a guitar god but if people keep saying he's fast then people like me (who know what fast really is) will keep pulling out these example of faster, cleaner players. If people said "Yeah, he's written some pretty good songs" then I'd either agree or just shut up because that's opinion which i can't say is wrong but the fact remains: he isn't fast and he isn't clean.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

I think you'll find that that style of typing is reserved for A7x scene kid fanboys.

It's true though there is nothing about him that is unique or extraordinary yet some people (not you specifically) hold him in such a high regard.

on topic: I find it easier to p;ay quickly with a thick pick. granted I only use 1.14mm (i think, it's worn off) but I suppose it's personal taste.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
GuitarManNick you can blow me, cuz i know for a fact every single person on this site listens to bands that they wouldn't admit on a forum. only difference is i don't compensate for a small d*ck by telling people i only listen to the most RESPECTED and GODLY musicians. nothing defines the word of TOOL more than a bunch of people on a forum pretending they don't listen to anything that would be considered 'uncool' by the likes of the rest of the crowd. yall are makin me sick with your 'higher-than-thou-who-listens-to-what-he-likes' attitude

so because he doesn't have the desire to listen to unoriginal hyped up overrated bands makes him a tool? so because i happen to only like innovative (in composition and technicality as well as tonality) bands/artists, am i a tool?
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Why? Because Syn isn't that good? Have you any idea how sloppy he is compared to huge amounts of people? .

Uhmm.. I have a slight idea how sloppy is compared to a lot of know guitarists like paul gilbert, joe satriani, steve vai and other guitarists...

But have YOU got any idea how many guitarists are way more slopier than he is?? I believe it is more... a LOT more...

Furthermore beside being a little bit sloppy on stage (i know.. I've seen them several times) the man wrote some really good songs and has a lot of succes.

On topic, I use Dunlop Jazz 3 picks and i'd say it's just a matter of getting used to the picks. If you keep using them for a long time you can get the speed of Syn.
to the TS, beware that sometimes those small devils will slide right inbetween ur strings and fall in between that space btw ur p'ups if you don't practice w/ them alot. i was so used to holding thinner picks and switched to those, first time playing one i was like "alrite here we go...so far so good...alrite now-hey....where'd it go?"

well to the other topic that was created on this post, i think MY view was misunderstood big time and needs to be cleared up. i like the guys playing. i don't hear his song on a random rock station and go "oh god i gotta change it!!!" (really just listen to my iPod). i dont think he's the fastest player and i'm not gonna judge how cleanly he plays b/c i haven't heard them live, but yall seem to know he doesn't play that cleanly. i agree studio tricks can work wonders. i do NOT think he is anywhere near god status nor Virtuoso legend. but all that doesn't make me hate the songs from A7X that come on the radio every so often.

mostly i just listen to my iPod, which has all my Guns, a lot of RATM and Kid Rock, some Run DMC and some Zack de la Rocha solo stuff. i really like hip hop/rock fused music. and on this forum it's a big no-no for some reason. but you're never gonna make ME feel ashamed of it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
alritey, to mr. Lefty,

if that's UR preference then that's fine. i haven't judged you by it. and i ask the same in return. there's obviously somethin about that style that catches you. but don't go and flame people who have a broader range of taste that includes 'un-original' bands. you don't know why i listen to the bands i do, i have a different reason for listening to every band i do. it's not ALL about the guitar work, or ALL about the lyrics.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Because he likes them and they work for him.

You know if someone had just said that in the first place we could've avoided all this rubbish

EDIT (you should try this editing lark, it is just so very fun): You know slashrocks, for someone who's accusing everyone of acting holier than thou you seem awfully keen to tell us how diverse and different your musical taste is. NOBODY CARES.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I know that Syn isn't the best player out there, believe me. I just noticed on the A7X wikipedia entry that he uses 3mms, and I think he's pretty fast. I use Fender Mediums, and heavier picks seem to make me slower, so I was surprised. Although a few months ago I really liked Fender Extra Heavys. I might pick up some thicker picks and give them a second chance.

EDIT: God damn, I didn't mean for this to turn into a flame war. I just read over the last couple posts - this is crazy. It's a question about the benefits of thick picks, not about comparing a decent guitarist to Vai and Gilbert.

We all realize that Syn Gates is no Buckethead, okay?
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Last edited by AgentWiggles at Apr 15, 2008,
live its what he uses. i thought his dad played the solos on the records anyways. i'd try find out what his dads using
eh it's wutever. no point in keepin it goin. but it's easy to get offended when someone labels you as a tool so easily.

i really don't want to be an E-A$$hole, i prefer to get along with everyone here on UG.

FRIENDS!!! who else can you fight with one minute and then make up with the next?! oh yea.....girlfriends...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Shade7777
Uhmm.. I have a slight idea how sloppy is compared to a lot of know guitarists like paul gilbert, joe satriani, steve vai and other guitarists...

But have YOU got any idea how many guitarists are way more slopier than he is?? I believe it is more... a LOT more...

Furthermore beside being a little bit sloppy on stage (i know.. I've seen them several times) the man wrote some really good songs and has a lot of succes.

On topic, I use Dunlop Jazz 3 picks and i'd say it's just a matter of getting used to the picks. If you keep using them for a long time you can get the speed of Syn.

1 - I know how many bad guitarists there are out there and I don't really care; the point is that for someone who is being hailed by so many people as some sort of shred god he's really not that good at all.

2 - I said myself he's a good songwriter.

3 - Success, in my book, does not equate to good, I really couldn't care less how successful any guitarist, band or anything is that doesn't make it good. Razorlight aren't exactly good, technically speaking, but they're still really successful.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
3 - Success, in my book, does not equate to good, I really couldn't care less how successful any guitarist, band or anything is that doesn't make it good. Razorlight aren't exactly good, technically speaking, but they're still really successful.

+1

And +1 cool points for the Hitchhikers guide-related name.
yup and neither is Hannah Montanna but there's not much we can do about things like that. i actually am really good friends w/ a guy who plays lead guitar in a christian grunge/rock band that has an album or two. they play at a local christian studio and sound great. but i doubt they will ever make it 'big.' to me they're already big b/c they make music i love listening to, but it's not what the rest of the world is into so the chances of them getting the recognition they deserve are low....

if anyone is interested in hearing some of what they've got lemme know. it wouldn't be bad for them to get a few more listeners lol. i just dont wanna post a link to their page w/o anyone actually wanting to hear any.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - I know how many bad guitarists there are out there and I don't really care; the point is that for someone who is being hailed by so many people as some sort of shred god he's really not that good at all.

2 - I said myself he's a good songwriter.

FIrst off noone in this thread called him a shred god.

I like A7X. Is Syn the the fastest? No hes not. Does that mean noone should like him? Of course not. As a matter of fact I like alot of guitarists/bands because of their rythym melodys as opposed to their blistering solos.

How can anyone judge anyone on their taste in Music? Everyones got different tastes, thats what makes this world so interesting. Right now on my playlist I got Clapton, A7X, Santana, Neil Young, Trooper, Metallica, ACDC, Pantera, and A little Kanye West.

My friend hates Onions, I LOVE onions. DOes that make him a tool? Of course not. Same with music. Judge a person by there actions not the music tastes.

Back on topic.. How does anyone use the Jazz III picks? I have one and I find myself being able to go a little faster, but it always feels like its gonna slip out of my hand. DO they make a pick normal size with the tip of the Jazz III?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I never said you said he was a guitar god but if people keep saying he's fast then people like me (who know what fast really is) will keep pulling out these example of faster, cleaner players. If people said "Yeah, he's written some pretty good songs" then I'd either agree or just shut up because that's opinion which i can't say is wrong but the fact remains: he isn't fast and he isn't clean.

Speed and sloppiness are measures of opinion as well. Just becase one person thinks that fast is one speed and another thinks it is another then who is right. Its all a matter of opinion. Synyster Gates can play some fast parts compared to other guitarist out there and maybe some people really think that is fast. I for one cannot play at the same speed so to me that is fast. Slopiness is also an opinion, Hendrix was incredibly sloppy live but people still seem to hail him as an amazing guitarist.

Back to the topic, using thicker picks makes it easier to get a sound out of the string so it takes less effort and less time to get the string to vibrate.
Why is this synyster-guy so praised? because he has a sig-guitar?

Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Page 1 of 3