Hey guys I just emailed Doug from Dougstubes, and this is what I emailed him:

Hello, I was texting you earlier about a few questions I had about my amps tubes, my situation is I just bought a new Mesa Roadster head off of ebay and it's nearly 4 years old. It still has the stock Mesa tubes in it. Summers coming up and I'll be gigging a lot more regularly with my band and I don't want any tube troubles so I thought it would be best to retube now, considering I have some pre-summer gigs in May.

I was wondering what I need to replace, I was recommended to your site from Ultimate-Guitar. People there said the preamps should be fine, as well as the rectifier tubes but the power tubes most def needed to be replaced. Now I'm not sure, thats why I'm asking/potentially buying from you !

The music I play, pretty much just your modern pop rock/pop punk (Fall out Boy, Paramore, All Time Low, Boys Like Girls, Sum 41 that kind of stuff..) Some rock. And then into some heavier territories but not as much as the poppish stuff.. ( Underoath, Killswitch Engage, etc..)

If you could recommend what I should check out for my Roadster it would be great!! Thanks a lot!

-Trent

This is what he replied with:

Hi Trent,

You could start with the power tubes and see how that improves things. I would recommend the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's or the winged =C= SED 6L6GC's.

If you feel up to it, heres a mix of preamp tubes I feel should belong in every players tone arsenal:
V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7

V2 - Mullard reissue 12AX7

V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7

V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7

V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9

V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Regards,
Doug

Are thoes powertubes nice? and should I have to replace my preamps or rectifiers? He didn't really say. Also, did he mean get one of each of thoes preamps, or thoes sets?

Thanks dudes. Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
He meant get one of each of those pre-amp tubes. hence the V1, V2, V3, etc. which correlates with the tubes position in the amp.

The best suggestion you're going to get is to do your own research on the power tubes. There are a lot of different options and differnt tubes are interchangablew with some amps. Only you know what kind of tone you want. so just do a google search of "Mesa Roadster re-tube" or something like that and yous hould get some hits of people who have retubed their Roadsters before.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Yes, both those brands of 6L6GC's get very good reviews. And yes, it seems he's suggesting a 12ax7 for every pre-amp slot in your amp.

Personally, I'd retube the whole thing. It may not need it, but I'd do it anyway, and gig with the old tubes with me in case of emergency.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What should I look at for rectifier tubes? and what do the Early/Average/Late distortion options mean?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

up?

That's customer service - recommending a different tube for every preamp slot! I like the fact he suggested a Sovtek AX7 instead of trying to persuade you to buy expensive NOS tubes for every slot. The 6L6s he suggested are well regarded too, sounds fine to me.

There should be no reason to replace the rectifier tubes for a few years yet, though,don't worry about it.
Check out some Sovtek 5U4's. The non-coke bottle ones.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
What about the level of distortion? I need to buy soon.. :S Help please ?

Do you like how the amp sounds now? If you could change the tone how would you change it?
The cart total with all of those is $147, should I just get two rectifier tubes since i'm ordering and already blowing more then I wanted ?

Quote by DJL
Do you like how the amp sounds now? If you could change the tone how would you change it?

It sounds ace, I'm hoping it will sound even better with the new tubes, but I'm buying them more for the fact that I don't want any problems during a gig with the really old tubes.

It covers all the ground I want it to + more..

I play pop rock/pop punk, rock, little metalcore, but sometimes..

I like nice warm cleans too if that helps.

I think the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's are a good choice. I'm not a fan of the SED winged C 6L6GC's though.

I personally carry a complete set of spare valves when i'm gigging - so it might be worth getting the lot, including the rectifiers, and carrying the old ones as spares.

Distortion level wise, looking at what you play and the versatility of the Mesa controls - i'd say average. Late is great if you want lots of head room for cleans, early gives lots of distortion without driving the pre amps hard.

I personally just use the standard Mesa STR-440's in my Rect-O-Verb
Last edited by DJL at Apr 15, 2008,
Electro Harmonix's 5U4GB Rectifiers decent?

edit; or are Mesa's better?

I believe the Electro Harmonix 5U4GB is the same as the Mesa 5U4GB which is fitted as standard.

I don't think they Mesa tubes are better - I just like the sound and they avoid any biasing problems.
Well at dougstubes, thats the only sensible priced rectifier tube. Should I just skip the rectifier tubes? Am I guaranteed they will last a few more years?

Uppp I need to buy within the hour lol. Keep the mesa rectifier tubes, or two new EHX ones? (I think they were $15 each bringing my total to $177 )

You won't notice any difference between the two - It really comes down to how prepared you want to be incase they fail. 4 years isn't that old - you might get away with, or you might not.

$24 for piece of mind.
i think i'll pass for now then, my budget is tight with no job.

SO I'M BUYING the Ruby 6l6gcm, a matched quad. and

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7

V2 - Mullard reissue 12AX7

V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7

V4 - Penta Labs 12AX7

V5 - Shuguang 12AX7C9

V6 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

no new rectifier tubes.

anyone have any other opinions before I spend $150?

anyone?!@!?!?!?!!? 30 seconds