Couple questions -

What's the difference between buying the Zakk Wylde set and buying an 85 and an 81 separately?

Is the Kerry King set worth the extra 40-50 bucks? Is the gain booster cool?

Will these pickups be able to do anything other than scorching, face-melting metal? (I mean, that's what I'm buying them for, but versatility is always nice, you know?)
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
theres almost no difference in buying the zakk wylde set and getting them seperate other then a post card and a pick and id say the gain booster s pretty cool and there not the most versatile pick ups in the worlds
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
EMGs suck for everything. The 81 has harsh treble, weak mids, and flimsy bass. The 85 is a little better with it's warmness, but it has no tone.

Seymour Duncan active pickups are 200x better than the EMGs... seriously. Just as much (if not more) output, but with tone.
ive got dual 81's, ull be able to play more than just metal with them, but i agree that the seymour duncans are significantly better.
Never played the Blackouts so I can't comment on whether or not they're better but I can tell you that you only need the 81 for metal and a 60 in the neck will give more versatility than an 85.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by i_baked_cookies
EMGs suck for everything. The 81 has harsh treble, weak mids, and flimsy bass. The 85 is a little better with it's warmness, but it has no tone.

Seymour Duncan active pickups are 200x better than the EMGs... seriously. Just as much (if not more) output, but with tone.

Wow... are you sure? I mean, I've never played the EMGs, but they sound pretty good in most of the music I've heard that uses them. I'm going to go GC actually, and play with them. I'll have to look at the Seymour Duncans as well - are they similarly priced?

Everything I've heard about EMGs has been good up until that. Oh well, that's the point of research before buying stuff, I guess.

EDIT: Wow, I'm surprised - the "better" pickups (better is only in quotations because I have no experience with either) are about 25 bucks cheaper than the cheapest EMGs.

I'm looking for some pretty high gain distortion though - think death metal distortion (the best example I can give is Dethklok, I know its not a completely serious band but they have the kind of distortion I want.) So will I be able to get that with the Blackouts? Because they're looking good right now.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
Last edited by AgentWiggles at Apr 15, 2008,
a lot of ppl like EMGs, the ones that dont say "sterile tone"
just listen to them and decide yourself
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by i_baked_cookies

tell that to ESP...seriously, just because you don't like their tone doesn't mean they suck. There are thousands of people who would beg to differ. Compared to my dimarzio evolutions and seymour duncans hot rails and jb I can tell you for a fact that you are wrong about having no tone or bass.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EMGs are a love or hate thing.

It's really only something you can decide for yourself, after you've either heard them quite a bit or played with them, if it's something you like or not.

Personally I happen to like them. There are better, but there are also a lot worse in my opinion.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Why people come into a thread about EMGs and flame I really dont know, but just dont band wagon jump, buy some and find out for your self.

The difference between buying them seperately and getting the Zakk Wylde set is that with the ZW set you get long shaft pots as well as short shaft pots, which is a really good thing, because I got them without the long shaft pots and was very scared at how thin I had to route my guitar to fit them, but there fine and theres nothing wrong with the shorts, I would just prefer to have had longs.

As far as the KK booster is concerned I cant imagine its that great (at a guess). But if you can think to your self yes I always find my self mid song and needing to dial up the gain then go for it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
One word....Blackouts!
My gear:

Schecter Revenger FR
ESP Ltd Viper-500 (Seymour Duncan SH-4(N) + SH-12(B))
----
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde OD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Boss ML-2 Metalcore
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
----
Peavey Valveking 112
I'm not a tone-knowitall by far (I mean, heck, with that amp, there's no way!), but I can definitely say I like my M-1000 with 81/81.

It's indeed quite a bit sterile by default, but, two keywords:
- 18V mod
- EQ!

For me, it really comes down to this. Learn to set up your amp correctly, use your tone/volume controls instead of just using them as a 'killswitch' (as in, turn volume off). The 18V mod also makes the tone a lot less 'sterile', and isn't difficult nor permanent.

Grtz
Quote by i_baked_cookies

are you ****ing kidding me? EMG have almost no treble, harsh mids, and strong bass. Not to meantion extremley high output which is great for shredding. It is kinda a love hate thing. if you play thrash and black metal then i think they are great, but there are definatly more versitle pickups out there. i wouldnt put them on your best guitar either.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by AgentWiggles
Wow... are you sure? I mean, I've never played the EMGs, but they sound pretty good in most of the music I've heard that uses them. I'm going to go GC actually, and play with them. I'll have to look at the Seymour Duncans as well - are they similarly priced?

Everything I've heard about EMGs has been good up until that. Oh well, that's the point of research before buying stuff, I guess.

EDIT: Wow, I'm surprised - the "better" pickups (better is only in quotations because I have no experience with either) are about 25 bucks cheaper than the cheapest EMGs.

I'm looking for some pretty high gain distortion though - think death metal distortion (the best example I can give is Dethklok, I know its not a completely serious band but they have the kind of distortion I want.) So will I be able to get that with the Blackouts? Because they're looking good right now.

If you play Dethklok then EMGs all the way. Duncans dont have nearly strong distortion, i would know, i have both. and the ones that do (invaders, dimebuckers) dont sound as good as EMGs
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
If i where looking to get a Machine Head or Bullet For My Valentine(The Poison) sound, what would be the better choice of a EMG or Blackout?
Im thinking about replacing the passive mic in my Jackson Kevin Bond signature because it doesnt sound as good as my LTC ec-1000.
With my ec-1000 i can get pretty close to the tone on The poison.
I have EMG's and Blackouts (i bet most who comment dont !).

EMG 60/81 in my main guitar (PRS Singlecut) Blackouts in my backup (Epiphone Les Paul Custom)

The Blackouts are cracking pickups and too be honest if someone A/B'd guitars they wouldn't notice the difference between them and EMG's. I recorded samples of Metallica snippets clean and overdriven and the only difference was between the neck pickups.

I decided to put EMG's in my main guitar though cause the Blackout neck was crap for cleans as opposed to my EMG 60. The Blackout combo is more likened to an 85/81 combo. The neck pickup is too powerful for cleans but excellent for leads.

If you need versatility, the Blackouts wont do it, its niche is high gain brutality. But a EMG 60/81 will cause you'll get improved cleans and bluesy tones.