I need a decent amp for playing shows. I play metal but I'm pretty sure we're going to play a lot of different styles in a way. I'm thinking Peavey Valveking half stack. 120 watts tubed sounds pretty nice but is it enough for shows? I'll have EMG pickups by the time I need it.
what size shows are you playing? i doubt you'll need 120 watts really. and what do you mean "a lotta different styles in a way"

PRICE RANGE?!

this will help big time thanx
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
unless your playing an outdoor show with a very big croud and no PA, 120 is plenty, 50 or 60 is enough full tube, if you really cant get enough volume from that, you will use the PA. But remember that there isnt as much difference as you think between say 60 and 100 or 120, definitly not twise as loud!
Quote by Seef
I need a decent amp for playing shows. I play metal but I'm pretty sure we're going to play a lot of different styles in a way. I'm thinking Peavey Valveking half stack. 120 watts tubed sounds pretty nice but is it enough for shows? I'll have EMG pickups by the time I need it.

Yes, it'll be PLENTY. You can get by happily with 30 watts at a gig
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
We're playing shows in the city... couldn't tell you the size. Medium I guess and indoors most of the time for sure. Our style is a bit faster and heavier but I'm sure we'll try to incorporate like ska and stuff. Price rance is about 800 plus or minus a couple hundred... I'm definitely not looking to spend over a grand. I'm hoping to get some sort of tubed half stack.
Don't limit yourself to a halfstack. Are we talkin like fast punky ska (aggressive) or clean ska ? I'm not really too familiar with the sounds
I'd look at a Peavey Classic 30 if its not so aggressive, but also look used...
Perhaps a used Marshall JCM900? You could even get a halfstack at a push, but i'd suggest the combo
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
fast punky ska for sure.

Aggressive = good and when I'm just playing I play mostly metal.
I'd say look on ebay or craigslist for a used Peavey 5150 combo.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
carvin v3? Peavey 5150?
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
The ultimate show amp is probably the Line 6 Vetta, but for a smaller budget maybe look into a Marshall JCM 800(2 channel)/DSL with an OD or maybe a Mesa Mark III?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
The ultimate show amp is probably the Line 6 Vetta, but for a smaller budget maybe look into a Marshall JCM 800(2 channel)/DSL with an OD or maybe a Mesa Mark III?

the only problem i see with those suggestions is the price.
I think that honestly a Peavey 5150 or 6505 is your best shot, but get them used.
Or honest if you want more versatility then I think a Valvetronix would be pretty nifty, but then again your budget is 800$ so dont bother going for some jack-of-all-trades amp..
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
for $800 u can have my amp! ill ship it to the moon for $800
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
for $800 u can have my amp! ill ship it to the moon for $800

That might be a good idea. I'm inclined to think that a JCM800 or 900 combo, plus a TS9, would be a great option, TS.