I was pondering whether I should get this guitar or a Squier Standard Fat Strat..

I like the way Stratocasters look and I've seen and played with the Squier and it looks beautiful. I think I tested a faulty one though (even though it just came out of the box) since the frets were a bit too sharp on the lower side of the neck and there was some fret buzz. This may have had something to do with the strings, since they were stock ones and some of them were even rusted.
But like I said I love the shape of this thing...

About the Ibanez SA 160... it plays very easily. Chords were easier to pull off (I'm a beginner) and it felt as if the strings were easier to press in. I think the Squier needed to be set up properly. I like the flat neck of the Ibanez. But the thing I'm worried about is... will I be able to play more 'clean' stuff on this guitar? I listen to a lot of Iron Maiden and it's kind and am worried that the Ibanez is more suited for the 'heavier' types of Metal with lots of distortion. I'm more of a fan of the typical 80's Metal sound. Think about the sound on the Somewhere In Time album.

I think the Squier would be much more versatile and suited better for my musical taste, but feel like the Ibanez is of better quality and will be easier to play.
Even though I will play distorted stuff too, my main preference is a clean sound.

Can you guys give me some insight on this?
Quote by webbtje
90% of your tone comes from your amp. That SA > any squier too.

+1 the ibanez is an all around guitar you can play anything with it. the sound it makes can change, all you need is the right amp.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
I'm actually selling my SA160 if you want.

It's a great guitar for the price, and I've taken extremely good care of mine.

Let me know if you're interested.

Edit: Even if you aren't interested in mine I just gotta mention that an ibanez guitar is not for heavy heavy stuff. Take it from a hardcore maiden fan. It's basically a souped up stratocaster, and the pickups aren't designed for heavy distortion at all.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000 w/ EMGs
Ibanez S470DX w/ Duncan JB & 59'
Schecter C-1+
Peavey 5150 Combo
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD-808
MXR 10 band eq

WTB:
-Delay Pedal, 2 Veteran 30 Speakers, Duncan Blackouts set, Reverb Pedal
Last edited by guitarded88 at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by webbtje
90% of your tone comes from your amp. That SA > any squier too.

Quote by metalminded07
+1 the ibanez is an all around guitar you can play anything with it. the sound it makes can change, all you need is the right amp.

Ok these 2 posts definitely gave me more confidence in purchasing the Ibanez, but can you guys (or someone else) elaborate things further? I'm new to the guitar scene, and while I do put a lot of time in investigating guitars, it would be nice if I can hear as much as info/opinions as possible.

Quote by guitarded88
I'm actually selling my SA160 if you want.

It's a great guitar for the price, and I've taken extremely good care of mine.

Let me know if you're interested.

Edit: Even if you aren't interested in mine I just gotta mention that an ibanez guitar is not for heavy heavy stuff. Take it from a hardcore maiden fan. It's basically a souped up stratocaster, and the pickups aren't designed for heavy distortion at all.

I live in Europe buddy, transport from Canada to here would cost fortunes hehe.

About the last part of your post:
I always asumed an Ibanez would be more suited for bands like Metallica, GnR, Slayer etc.
So you are saying this guitar can put out crisp clean sounds similar to SIT?
Well, the SA is a branch of the S series of Ibanez guitars, and will do anything. I mean anything. With a pickup change, the S320 I own plays brutal death, while one at the store will play the blues very nicely. Your amp, however, is responsible for distortion, your settings, your sound, and if you're trying to reach a sound, an amp is the thing to buy. A guitar should basically be bought for its feel in my honest opinion, as most guitars will do most sounds competently through the right amp.

But that SA should suit basically any needs.
I was also thinking of replacing the single coil pick-ups after a while to enhance the clear sounds. Am I making sense here and is this possible?

What type of single coil should I be thinking of?
btw, when you say 'anything'.. I have an idea that it will play anything BUT the sound I want. In every review I read, almost all genres are named (punk, metal, hard rock, jazz, blues) except the tone I really want, and that happens to be clean Metal.
All of the SA's I know about sound very clean at the 2nd position.
you shouldn't base your decision and go with the ibanez just because some dudes on online forums suggested it. go play a squier, and you will be surprised how underrated their guitars are (much better than low-end ibanez anyway). try to ask around at the music store and play with a bunch of different low-end guitars. don't worry about the amp too much yet, it's more about feel, sound comes after it.
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
you shouldn't base your decision and go with the ibanez just because some dudes on online forums suggested it. go play a squier, and you will be surprised how underrated their guitars are (much better than low-end ibanez anyway). try to ask around at the music store and play with a bunch of different low-end guitars. don't worry about the amp too much yet, it's more about feel, sound comes after it.
Both would be just as low-end.

SA160 is more like a low-end Fender than a Squier. Very nice guitars.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by hopespaul
go play a squier, and you will be surprised how underrated their guitars are (much better than low-end ibanez anyway).

Ah well I rather have a low-end ibanez than a squier. But yeah just try both of them.
Go with the Ibanez, much better than the squire..

More versatile and better quality
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Get the SA160.I've one,it looks killer and it's really versatile.I'd even take my SA160QM over a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.

The only reason why I'm still unsure about purchasing the Ibanez is the looks of the thing.
It looks too much like a 'METAL' guitar and that's really not my style

As seen from this thread and reviews on Harmony Central, (ultimate guitar doesn't seem to have a review for the one I'm about to get: SA 160 BK) the Ibanez looks like the superior guitar.

Please brainwash me into thinking that I shouldn't care about looks/design, while I still very much do
How does it look metal to you?The cutaways are rounded unlike the RG.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Just passing along reading reviews about the SA160.
All you need to do is go to a store and select the guitars you would like to purchase but still doubt about, and play them.
I did. I tested the Ibanez and compared it with a Epiphone les paul , Ibanez GRG , and a Squier Tele an Strat. The Ibanez , for me, was the best of the bunch.
You can decide by reading reviews, but it doesn't beat seeing and feeling the real thing.

Greetz, Mike

I do realise this is well past date, but still very much reality. Cause every time people struggle with these types of questions. Go to the store and find out for real
Last edited by novice01 at May 22, 2013,
Dude, you could go up there and rock out looking like Rick Springfield but as long as you make the sound you want you shouldn't care. It's what help makes the sound that should matter to you, not how it looks. Pickups, effects pedals, amps, and maybe strings are about the only things you need to worry about.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab