Page 1 of 2
I really need a bassist so im trying to encourage a friend to learn it. is it easier to learn than guitar or just the same?
"I just hope that our fans are people who are inspired by music, and just use our music as a background or inspiration for whatever it is they do. "

Maynard James Keenan
Probably a little easier to pick up but just as difficult to master.

This is coming from someone who started on bass and now play 6 string.
IMO, it's easier to be decent at, but harder or about the same to be freaking amazing at than guitar. Chances are, you'll be able to show him/her like 4 notes, and have them keep a steady beat in the background just to help out the feel of the song, and they can progress as they play. If you're starting a 'generic' rock band, then it'll be easy enough. If you're starting a prog/shred/something ridiculous band, then you may run into some problems....

edit: although deleriumbassist is right....
it's not, like one has a difficulty level of 1, and one has a difficulty level of 2 or something...
it's two different things, so trying to make a direct comparison is difficult
Last edited by james4 at Apr 15, 2008,
Some things are easier, some things are harder. Though, a lot of bass players resent being considered "wasn't good enough to play guitar so I played bass".
I can play guitar as good or better than a lot guitarist I played with. I choose to play bass because that is what I enjoy to play. I'm sure there is a lot of other bassists out here that are the same way.
Quote by scawti
Some things are easier, some things are harder. Though, a lot of bass players resent being considered "wasn't good enough to play guitar so I played bass".
I can play guitar as good or better than a lot guitarist I played with. I choose to play bass because that is what I enjoy to play. I'm sure there is a lot of other bassists out here that are the same way.
+1
I'm very much that way.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by webbtje

+1
Quote by webbtje

+1
The first techniques you learn aren't hard to grasp but the more you learn the harder it gets and the more the two differ.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Easy to learn, hard to master.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Since bass was my first stringed instrument it was obviously pretty hard to get a hang of. But then again picking up guitar seemed surprisingly easy since I already knew my way around the fretboard and could handle a pick. IMO your first instrument always SEEMS like the hardest one.

I'm not sure about the "bass is easy to learn but hard to master" argument though. I'm far from virtuoso so I'm pretty much talking out of my ass right now, but I've gotten the impression that seeing from the physical side of playing, guitar is both harder to learn AND to master. BUT as Ben said, seeing from the musicianship side, bass and guitar are completely different instruments and can't be compared.
I think it depends on the person. I have buddies that cant even pluck a string or fret a note. Eye think you have to have at least a little natural talent.

Yarrrrrrrrr back to work UG.
Last edited by Sly Taco at Apr 15, 2008,
Yes. Yes it is.

That's what you wanted to hear, isn't it?

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
If someone needs to persuaded that it's easy and won't be a lot of work to get good, they're probably too lazy to ever take it seriously.
It is easier to just play a bass than a guitar. To play it well, to get recognized as a decent player, or to live with a clean conscience about whether or not you deserve the fame/money that the band gets you - Now THAT is just as hard as any other instrument. Only in a different way.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by smb
If someone needs to persuaded that it's easy and won't be a lot of work to get good, they're probably too lazy to ever take it seriously.

+1 to that.

If he needs persuading to start then he won't be much use.

Anyway, in general, I believe that bass is easier to pick up than guitar and its the easiest job in a band under one circumstance: you play a simple four chord pattern.
As basslines get harder, it cactches up with the guitar as some techniques on bass harder than anything on guitar (I reckon).

But you have to be a musician to play either. Picking any old bum won't do any good as they have to have an ear for rhythm and music in general.
BlahBlahBlah
Quote by smb

Agreed.

If you do talk him into it, he's going to be the guy that never shows up to practice. You can't force a band together. Let them come to you. If you think he has potential as a bass player, let him know of his opportunity and wait for the phone to ring.

Trust me, I speak from experience.
Dear god, I hate this kind of question. Everyone, read this.

Bass guitar is only as easy as you want it to be.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by smb

+Fitz

The last thing we need is another schmuck bass player.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
We've got enough of those.

Dude, there's a f***ing surplus
*cough*petewentz*cough*
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I'm not even going to bother.

If you think playing 3 chord punk is hard, then you are mislead. However, if you wanna be a true musician like Victor Wooten and the like, bass is NOT easy.
Quote by dude-1
If you think playing 3 chord punk is hard, then you are mislead. However, if you wanna be a true musician like Victor Wooten and the like, bass is NOT easy.

Show me where I said 3 chord punk isn't easy. It is. However, anything with 3 chords is easy. A lot of rock music is just root notes. GENRES DON'T HAVE DIFFICULTIES ATTACHED TO THEM.
Quote by dude-1
If you wanna play punk, sure.

Well I've given you some time to think about it. Your first post was unnecessary and spam. And maybe take some time in the next month and listen to some Mike Watt.

Warned and CYA in 30 days.
Quote by dude-1

Why do you have to provoke Delirium when he's obviously expressing his difficulty holding his tongue?

Now you've stumbled upon yet ANOTHER common misconception, one centered around that dreadful word: GENRES.

Your first assumption is that "punk" always means "three power chords over and over again", thus your "3 chord punk".

Your second assumption is that Delirium doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your third assumption is that the bassist community will go "oh yeah, he knows what he's talking about" if you present Victor Wooten - that high-end technician we all know - as the opposite of something you think is easy.

All three of these are ignorant assumptions. Stop generalizing. It kills the intellectual's spirit. Or, more importantly, makes you look like a dumbass.

...Hopefully I've saved Delirium from going off on you himself.

EDIT: Note to self. Epic posts take more time to write then do a mod's ban notice. Also, Delirium summed up what I had to say much more efficiently. I have GOT to get less wordy.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Show me where I said 3 chord punk is easy. It is. However, anything with 3 chords is easy. A lot of rock music is just root notes. GENRES DON'T HAVE DIFFICULTIES ATTACHED TO THEM.

Dude, you didn't get the memo?

DIFFICULTY /10

Metal 6/10

Classic 6/10

Funk 7/10

Punk 1/10

Emo.............emo has bass?
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Punk may not be easy, but if you think its as difficult as Classical Thump, then you need help. The Clash, Dead Kennedys, are all examples of punk with somewhat difficult bass in them.

In a way, I believe guitar is easier. I phail at it, but I can play the fast part of the Highway Star solo. I guess one could just say it is harder to stand out and sound good on bass.
I have to concur with IndianRockStar, guitar for me was much easier. Bass has required more attention to theory and rhythm and a devotion to being faithful to the foundation that has made it much more of a challenge. Like a teacher of mine once said. a good bassist can make a mediocre guitarist sound good, but the opposite is never true.

Oh yes, and bass is way more fun and rewarding for me as well.
Quote by KKING911
Dude, you didn't get the memo?

DIFFICULTY /10

Metal 6/10

Classic 6/10

Funk 7/10

Punk 1/10

Emo.............emo has bass?

Punk = 1/10?

Listen to Rancid's "Maxwell Murder" and THEN say punk deserves 1/10.
Quote by Another bassist
Punk = 1/10?

Listen to Rancid's "Maxwell Murder" and THEN say punk deserves 1/10.

Methinks it was a joke, yeah?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
like anything.. how easy it is to learn depends entirely on your willingness to learn
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
GENRES DON'T HAVE DIFFICULTIES ATTACHED TO THEM.

I take it you aren't forced to play country covers on a regular basis. I swear, the hardest part is just staying awake. BUM...DEE-BUM... DEE-BUM... DEE-BUM for five of the longest minutes of your life.

Quote by kranoscorp
Bass guitar is only as easy as you want it to be.

Thread could have ended here. Sure, just about anyone can pick up a bass and learn to pluck 8ths on the root within a month. However, to play the instrument well, and earn the respect of your colleagues takes just as much, if not more skill than any other instrument.
Last edited by Audey at Apr 16, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
Am I the only one that thinks Maxwell Murder's solo is overrated and sucks ass?

Dunno. I think the whole song, including the solo, is very happy and fun and it always puts a smile on my face.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I personally find bass harder to pick up than electric guitar... My gf has an electric and i find it very easy physically to play and to get melodys happening, its harder with bass, the strings are thicker, the neck is thicker, (usually) the neck is longer (again, sometimes)
Bass sounds cooler imo, and to finally answer your question: Nah, its not easier, its too different to be easier.
Although i find that THERES TOO MANY STRINGS ON AN ELECTRIC GUITAR!!!! (hits wrong string and makes ass of himself pretending to be good) lol
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by webbtje

+1
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Page 1 of 2