I had a go on this amp today, and quite liked it, although I didn't get to crank it as there were no sound booths in the shop, but it seemed a decent amp. I am concerned about the specs though. Most 15 watt valve amps have at least 2 preamp valves, sometimes more, but the SC20 only has 1 preamp valve with 2 power amp valves, and is rated at 20 watts.

Here's the specs:

Model: Sound City SC20C
Total Output Power: 20W RMS
Amp Type: Valve Combo
Power-Amp Section: 2 x EL84 Tubes
Pre-Amp Section: 1 x 12AX7 Tube
Speaker: 1x10’’ Sound City Custom
Controls: Clean Volume, Overdrive Gain, Overdrive Level, Reverb
EQ: 3-Band
Reverb: Accutronics Spring
Channels: Dual with Drive Select - Clean and Overdrive
Jacks: Input, FX Send, FX Return, Speaker Output
Dimensions (H x W x D): 15.74’’ x 18.18’’ x 10.23’’
(400mm x 462mm x 260mm)
Net Weight: 33.06 lbs (15 kg)

Is having 1 preamp tube on an amp of this wattage going to have a different effect on my tone than my 1st choice amp - the currently unavailable Laney VC15- which has 2 of each valve. Does tone suffer through lack of preamp tubes? I mean, the Laney Lionheart 5watt has 3 preamp tubes so although I enjoyed the amp, I am concerned that the tone will not live up to expectations, especially given that it costs more than the Laney.

Thanks in advance!
Hold out for the VC15. The Sound City are good value, but that's about all. They're let down by a cheap speaker and too much fizzy preamp gain.

And no, preamp tubes do not equal more or less tone. for example my amp has 6 12AX7 (or AT7) tubes, but that doesn't make it better or worse than any other, it just allows for greater control of channel overdrive, reverb etc. Don't be tempted to buy your second choice of amp because you can't wait - you may be using the amp for years, you don't want to get stuck with something you don't like.
Number affects tone as such that fewer means less gain, less features etc.

But having a single 12AX7 is basically impossible unless it isn't full tube. I'd wager it is a typo.

And I hear the Sound Cities - especially the 50w head - sound really quite good, but the crap valves and horrible speaker are what kills the sound.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Number affects tone as such that fewer means less gain, less features etc.

But having a single 12AX7 is basically impossible unless it isn't full tube. I'd wager it is a typo.

And I hear the Sound Cities - especially the 50w head - sound really quite good, but the crap valves and horrible speaker are what kills the sound.

It really isn't a typo - the Peavey Windsor studio is the same. I think waiting for the VC15 is my best option although I haven't looked at other options yet.

Quote by kyle62
too much fizzy preamp gain

I agree. I think they are trying to copy the mid heavy drive of the old HiWatt amps that they preceeded, but haven't quite got it yet. I should mention though that through a 60's Classic Strat, this amp sounded pretty Godly. It was also very pick responsive, but the Laney is probably going to suit me just as well, if not better.
Quote by greggybhoy
It really isn't a typo - the Peavey Windsor studio is the same. I think waiting for the VC15 is my best option although I haven't looked at other options yet.

I agree. I think they are trying to copy the mid heavy drive of the old HiWatt amps that they preceeded, but haven't quite got it yet. I should mention though that through a 60's Classic Strat, this amp sounded pretty Godly. It was also very pick responsive, but the Laney is probably going to suit me just as well, if not better.
No you misunderstand, the PV Windsor Studio can accomodate a single preamp valve easily, as it is Single Ended and so the two triodes are used as gain stages, but in a Push-Pull amp like the Sound City is you need at least 2 triodes for a modern long-tail phase inverter and then at least one gain stage in front of it, ergo 2 tubes. You could use a cathodyne PI and a single gain stage but the gain would be rather low... So I'm still standing by the typo.
Quote by MrCarrot
No you misunderstand, the PV Windsor Studio can accomodate a single preamp valve easily, as it is Single Ended and so the two triodes are used as gain stages, but in a Push-Pull amp like the Sound City is you need at least 2 triodes for a modern long-tail phase inverter and then at least one gain stage in front of it, ergo 2 tubes. You could use a cathodyne PI and a single gain stage but the gain would be rather low... So I'm still standing by the typo.

Did anyone understand that?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I did, and that's all that matters.
Quote by acdcrocks0323

I was thinking the same thing!

My point was wrong regardless, asa the Peavey website states that the Windsor has 2 preamp valves. In any case, the Sound City is still fully valve driven, I think.

laymans terms please MrCarrot, we aren't all boffins!
Quote by greggybhoy
I was thinking the same thing!

My point was wrong regardless, asa the Peavey website states that the Windsor has 2 preamp valves. In any case, the Sound City is still fully valve driven, I think.

laymans terms please MrCarrot, we aren't all boffins!
Haha.

Basically, it's unfeasible for the SC20 to have only 1 preamp valve.