My school has a Fender Bassman 4x10 combo that has not been used for the two years I've been there and probably longer. It's not tweed, it looks just like a twin, style wise, front-mounted controls, silver grill, black tolex covering. It's in pretty bad condition, the corners are nonexistant and the thing is dingy altogether. I've also been told it "doesn't work", but it's never been plugged in when I've been there.

I want to buy it, as a refurb project and also because with the condition its in I could probably get it for real cheap. I'm guessing the not working means it needs AT LEAST a retube, probably more work. I've not been offered to buy it, but since it's not going anywhere, I figured I'd ask my band director if he'd sell it to me. The school has another bass amp, and two guitar amps, so they don't need this one.

My question:
What would be a good price to ask for? I don't want to pay very much, and I don't mind asking for much less than it's worth. I want the lowest price my director would accept. My argument is that instead of spending money to refurbish an unnessecary (sp?) amp, the school could make money to spend on instrument repairs and other needs. I have aabout $150 now, but could save up more if y'all think I should offer to pay more.

Opinions? Questions? Comments? Help me out here.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Well, if it's a REAL TUBE Bassman, then $400 maybe?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
with most schools, at least public schools, buying equipment is usually more complicated than "can i buy this from you, mr. band teacher?" it might have to be approved by the school board.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
base it off ebay pricing but i would lowball the hell out of them....most likely since it's at a school and not someones possesion, no ones going to give a damn what it sells for....give the ole "how much you want for that, i figure i'll try and see if I can get it going"
Is it a Bassman 10 (the only 4x10 silverface Bassman I'm aware of)?

They're not great guitar amps; but they still beat the crap out of most cheap modern tube amps.
It's definitely tube, and although it doesn't say "Bassman 10" on the faceplate, just "Bassman", I think it's likely Mr. Hankey's right, because I am absolutely sure the thing is 4x10 silverface.

So, for lowballing, $100 decent lowball price? Keep in mind this thing is falling apart.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Quote by PimpedOutSquier
It's definitely tube, and although it doesn't say "Bassman 10" on the faceplate, just "Bassman", I think it's likely Mr. Hankey's right, because I am absolutely sure the thing is 4x10 silverface.

So, for lowballing, $100 decent lowball price? Keep in mind this thing is falling apart.

Wait a minute...it could be a Bassman head converted into a combo. If you are absolutely sure it only says "Bassman" on it, no numbers; it's a much better amp, and worth more.
Just says "Bassman" but the thing is so ****ed up It's entirely likely that something would be rubbed off or whatever....
Or its a super amazing amp.
I don't give half a ****, I just want a tube amp (lolz).
$100 low enough?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack