Yeah. I'm about out of ideas here. I figured SOMEONE here would have an idea (I lurk a lot and just recently registered, by the way).

I have me a Gibson SG Special (the finished model, not the faded) and it's got some wicked fret buzz. Sounds and feels amazing, but the fret buzz is killer. I've tried everything, and everything seems to be in order on the guitar (neck relief, ect...). I use 10 gauge strings. Obviously, raising the action with the Tune-O-Matic helps it, but I like my action low and it's pretty much perfect where it is (about 4/64" on the bass side, 3/64" on the treble side). Like I said, I have the appropriate amount of neck relief, I think, about .014" or so.

But, it still buzzes like a beast. I can't figure it out; I've done everything short of getting a luthier to do a fret leveling, which I will be having done ASAP.

My question is this: Does anyone have any ideas to alleviate the buzz while I try and make time to do the hour's drive out to a good luthier? And, for that matter, would the fret leveling even do anything to help me? Is my action just too low?

Any help or advice anyone can offer would be deeply appreciated.
email Gibson, just for kicks, to see what they say.. id love to hear what they say
08 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Studio
The only thing i can think of is if it's only at a specific fret, get the truss rod checked. Either that or just raise the acto and live with it.
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
Quote by nauc
email Gibson, just for kicks, to see what they say.. id love to hear what they say
I did. And called. They suggested I have it run over by a good luthier. Which, frankly, does not exist within 60 miles of where I live.

Quote by Neil Watson
The only thing i can think of is if it's only at a specific fret, get the truss rod checked. Either that or just raise the acto and live with it.
It's not a specific fret, I should've mentioned. It's nasty pretty much everywhere between the fifth and ninth, and also bad on the D and G from there down to like the 17th.
sounds like uneven frets.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
sounds like uneven frets.
So, a fret leveling would do some good, then? I mean, I'm sure it would do good in any case, but will this necessarily solve my problem?
Quote by whiteraven119
So, a fret leveling would do some good, then? I mean, I'm sure it would do good in any case, but will this necessarily solve my problem?

There are only a few variables here:

Action, Relief, Intonation, Nut Height, Fret Levelness, Neck Set

I doubt your neck needs a reset, a good setup+level will fix all those other things.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
There are only a few variables here:

Action, Relief, Intonation, Nut Height, Fret Levelness, Neck Set

I doubt your neck needs a reset, a good setup+level will fix all those other things.
Everything seems to be in order on that list (except for fret levelness, which I've never had checked. I guess I put too much faith in Gibson's QC).

I'll be having those frets leveled soon, then... thanks for your time, I really appreciate the advice.