I just was wondering, what is the difference between Gibsons and Epiphones.

They're made the same, is it some kind of sound difference or is there a little difference, or are they just trying to make money?
O O

___
Epis are Korean or maybe Chinese made, if theyre the really cheap ones. Gibsons are American-made, but not hand-made i dont think. Gibsons have better quality wood, but the quality control on the low-end ones isnt too great. Epis, with a pickup change, can rival some Gibsons, so unless you can spend alot of money, and i mean alot of money, Epi would be a better value.
If you get a high end epi, like 800-1000 range, then the wood quality is about the same as a medium gibson, the tuners are Grover and the pickups arent bad, change the pickups and the nut and it basicly is a gibson
its where the guitar is made i think
like gibsons are made in the US and epiphones may be made in china or something (not actually sure on the locations, just examples)

but yea i think thats the difference its like american made fenders and mexican made fenders there is no actual difference just where they were made
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Gibsons = better quality but Epi is a good lower price model and with a few minor tweaks can really kick some arse
Gibson owns Epiphone. Epiphone is kinda like Squire is to Fender, though better. While they ar better thatn squires, they are cheaper and have less quality than Gibson. The sound is similar but not the same and the whole guitar likewise. Some of the more expensive Epiphones are actually quite good, but still not as good as their Gibson counterparts.
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
A good Epi is better than a cheap Gibson.

Epi Elitist (made in Japan) > Gibson Special, Faded and Melody Maker

Epiphone were bought by Gibson in the late 50's, I think (I don't know exactly) and are now being used to produce similar instruments to Gibson's own for a smaller price, in order to compete with Japanese companies.

In the 70's, many Japanese guitar manufacturers were making very successful clones of Gibson guitars. So Gibson sued them all and started making their own guitars in Asia to challenge the copies.
Last edited by sashki at Apr 15, 2008,
usually the only reason to buy an epiphone is if you are low on budget
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
epihpones are bolted necks or glued necks when gibsons r full cut and there is a sound difference
Quote by cj10schmelzer
usually the only reason to buy an epiphone is if you are low on budget

...Or if you like Gibson styles and know what you're doing.

A lot of pro's use Epiphone.
Quote by Lez
epihpones are bolted necks or glued necks when gibsons r full cut and there is a sound difference

Only the very cheapest Epi's have bolt-on necks, like the Special and LP100. All others, and all Gibsons, have set necks.
Gibson:
-Made in USA
-Carefully selected woods
-Quality instruments
-Expensive
-Associated with professionals

Epiphone:
-Made in China, used to be made in korea and such
-Quality instruments, but of course not as good as Gibson
-Not really associated with professionals
-For people with a small budget