My math teacher gave us (grade 11) a brain teaser today, and no one solved it. Since a lot of you guys here are in college or university, I figured I'd ask you guys.

Given any four points, how do you draw a square through them.

The red dots are the four points. Also, a line can pass throug each point once and only once, and every point must be included.

And is isn't impossible because he said he found an answer.
Quote by Thornography
My math teacher gave us (grade 11) a brain teaser today, and no one solved it. Since a lot of you guys here are in college or university, I figured I'd ask you guys.

Given any four points, how do you draw a square through them.

The red dots are the four points. Also, a line can pass throug each point once and only once, and every point must be included.

And is isn't impossible because he said he found an answer.

Tell him that he meant to write quadrilateral.
I have no idea.

EDIT: You're teacher's an idiot, it's impossible.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
I don't get the problem here, it's not hard.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
You said, given ANY four points, so i can place the red marks anywhere on the grid?

EDIT: if not, where are the red dots supposed to be, if the diagram is simply an example, i guess it is not accurately drawn?
yeah, i must have misunderstood it, because if i DO understand it, its pretty easy...
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Now tell me how he would f***ing draw a square through these points.

Not possible.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
You think in 3 dimensions. rotate the graph on the Y and Z axis and you can turn it into what you want.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You did it in the picture!

That was not a square though.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by TheBF
You think in 3 dimensions. rotate the graph on the Y and Z axis and you can turn it into what you want.

That would work...if he was talking about cubes but a square is by definition a two dimensional object. There is no Z axis.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by rabidguitarist
Quote by yoshixxx7
That would work...if he was talking about cubes but a square is by definition a two dimensional object. There is no Z axis.

You can plot a 2D object in a 3D plain however.

Anyway, if there is a Z-axis the vertices of the square would NOT all be touching the points, as the problems said the LINES can touch any of the points not the face itself. Otherwise you could do it on the 2D plain.

if the grid you drew was a square then my box would be a square too, not sure tho
I see no sign of fortress.
Last edited by Phorgot at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by yoshixxx7

You could draw a square through four points in a 3D graph.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I know...but what's the point? Everything in the question is happening in two dimensions.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by rabidguitarist
5+a= ?

You Cant Does Math With Letters I Winz
'J'adore ah les femmes', yeah I love my riches, 'bonjour' money and 'au revoir' bitches
The points can be moved anywhere, even in a straight line. You have to draw one square that goes through any four points. If you moved the points around, there'd be a method of drawing a square through them. And if you moved them again, the same method would work again.
Unless the points are meant to be corners, I see no problem here.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Quote by STFU(its)JERRY
5+a= ?

You Cant Does Math With Letters I Winz

a=?-5
...naked.