If a multi effects processor is run to the effects return on a amp, *AND* the guitar is plugged directly into the processor will the channel switching on the amp still work? I don't know where the amp's channel switching lies in the chain. In this scenario it seems like the amp's preamp is being bypassed totally and the amp is only being used as a powered cabinet. The pre-amp would be out of the mix, and the guitar signal would be amplified by the processor.

The reason for the questions is I'm trying to understand where an amps channel switching lies in the chain, and what an amp's pre-amp is doing if it's "bypassed completely" as it seems to be in this scenario. Thanks
I've done a little PODxt straight into power amp. Channel switching didn't seem to do much - didn't really experiment though.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Apr 16, 2008,
Technically channel switching still works, but since the channels are parts of the preamp, it doesn't do anything.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
It would be easier and more beneficial to run your guitar into the amps input and have the processor in the effects loop. Will essentially do the same thing yet allow you to have your channel switching as well.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
It would be easier and more beneficial to run your guitar into the amps input and have the processor in the effects loop. Will essentially do the same thing yet allow you to have your channel switching as well.

Not necessarily. If you're using a modeling unit, you may only want to use the amp models on the multi effects unit and running through the amp's input will offer additional and unwanted tone coloration.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I got a new hybrid amp yesterday and played through it last night 3 different ways and compared sounds:

1. Guitar into processor, processor into effects return (preamp bypass) -> This produced the thinnest and most artficial sound overall, and yes the channel switching didn't do anything except that volume controls worked on both channels (I guess they are wired to the power amp)

2. Guitar into amp, processor run through effects loop -> This produced a better sound and channel switching worked

3. Guitar into processor, processor into amp input -> This produced the best sound of all (at least to my ears) I guess the tube preamp does add some color to the sound, I thought this method produced a noticeable better sound than the other two even with the processor modulation effects before the preamp in the chain.

Going to do more testing tonight, including testing with the back on and off the amp. It is crazy how many different sounds and possibilities there are.
I find it hard to decide where to put multieffects in my rig. But thats only cos half the effects sound best in the loop and the other directly into the preamp.

Modeling however is always going to get better results directly into the poweramp as the preamp will color the models making them sound different to how they have been designed. remember that modelers are essentially digital preamps.

Hunter33, when you say processor you mean as in regular multieffects with no modeling right? Cos that would explain whey it sounded thin and artificial in scenario 1. you were playing directly in to the power amp with no tone shaping at all.

As for channel switching its almost always a preamp thing as not many amps have switching that changes anything in the power section.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Hunter33, when you say processor you mean as in regular multieffects with no modeling right? Cos that would explain whey it sounded thin and artificial in scenario 1. you were playing directly in to the power amp with no tone shaping at all.

Yes, it's a Digitech RP250. I guess technically it's a "guitar multi-effects processor" although it has an expression pedal and two patch switching pedals. I'm not sure what to call it, and usually refer to it as a "processor" or just "Digitech"

In scenario 1 it was using amp & speaker modeling (pre-amp bypass), but I still wasn't happy with the sound. I'm planning to work with it more tonight and try some different amp models on the patches. I intend to use this set up to play live at church once a week, and will be switching patches (and amp channels) in the middle of some songs. So I need to find the connection scenario that best fits a handful of different software patches to switch between. I usually play clean tones or mild crunch with lots of chorus and reverb, and some flanger and dry clean tones. Last night in limited tested the rig sounded best with the back of the amp closed up, and the guitar and Digitech plugged directly into the amp input. More testing tonight.
hey Hunter33, did you figure it out? my suggestion was going to be to use the Digitech to switch between sounds you want and not the amps channel select, especially if you do not have a footswitch for the amp.

You can move the pedal's 60 presets around in whatever order you want them. i've renamed mine but i have these grouped close together just so i can accomplish what you are wanting to do: Acoustic, Clean, Delay, Flanger, Hendrix

Hope that helps. BTW i have guitar into Digitech and then mono out to amp input, didn't sound as good in effects loop.
;
Yep, I worked with it a bunch a couple days ago and got everything sounding right. Even played with it live yesterday morning and used several different patches.

It just sounds bad when run to the loop return with preamp bypassed totally, so that option is out. I guess I like the way the little 12AX7 tube colors the tone in the preamp. It sounds a bit better when the guitar when the RP250 is looped and the guitar is run through the preamp, but still didn't sound just right. So I ran the guitar into the RP250 and then plugged it into the amp input. So the RP250 (including modulation/time effects) is being preamped. It really sounds the best that way to my ears, especially with the top cover off the back of the amp it really opens up the sound. I'm running "Direct" settings on amp and cabinet modeling, so the amp pre-amp is coloring the sound. Had to fool with the EQ settings a lot to make that sound right, but now it does. I edited the presets also and am using similar patches to yours ... mine go clean w/reverb & chorus, crunchy, dry clean tone, crunchy flanger, acoustic, and then an 80s metal tone. I need to program a good British crunchy sound as I'm starting to use that more.

I can't be stopping in the middle of a song to press a button, and did order a footswitch for the amp that should get here today. So for the crunchy tones I'm planning to disable stompbox modeling in the patches and use the footswitch to switch to the amp's 2nd channel which sounds real good. Thanks