My friend is throwing a 50's themed grad party... i dunno why.... but we're like a modern alternative band, and for now, its just a guitarist, a bassist, MAYBE another guitarist, and me the drummer, so does anyone have any good ideas for songs from the 50's we could cover??
anything by Buddy Holly
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Platodium
Johnny B. Goode

I think that's from the sixties. It's still a brilliant piece of guitarwork; immortalised by Michael J. Fox.

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals; it was effectively the first rock song, the British band took an old, old folk song and made it famous. It is such a great tune.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'd love to see you guys make more alternitive versions of all the songs. It'd be a sweet twist, the concept could be "The Future Of The Past"
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
The big man himself : Johnny Cash
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
What are you on about? Little Richard owns all '50s music...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Small Print
Johnny B. Goode = 1958

This man speaketh the truth. And the Animal's version of house of the rising came out in 1964.
Quote by chocolateman900
Bill Haley and The Comets!

Rock Around the Clock rules

You sir, win.

That's my favorite pre- 1960 guitar solo.
Not sure if Rockabilly was during the 1950s, but try some of that stuff. Pretty much any "rock" from those times is alright. One problem you will find because the 50s were an age of conformism is that there isn't any astonishingly good music, but thats what you get when you pick the 1950s.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Eddie Cochran! summertime blues, c'mon everybody, twenty flight rock...
and yeah buddy holly.
They had music in the 1950s???

Also seconding Johnny B. Goode and Bill Haley stuff.

PROTIP: What you play doesn't have to be 50s; it just has to have the vibe of that era. Most people won't know or give a **** what year it's from anyway, so you can safely go as far as the mid 60s IMO.
Quote by Vermintide
They had music in the 1950s???

Also seconding Johnny B. Goode and Bill Haley stuff.

PROTIP: What you play doesn't have to be 50s; it just has to have the vibe of that era. Most people won't know or give a **** what year it's from anyway, so you can safely go as far as the mid 60s IMO.

True.

Also about my concept idea earlier, it would be even better if you did a "Rock Through The Ages" concept.

Everything from the Rock N' Roll of Bill Haley to the Pop Punk of today.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
lol you should play Buddy Holly by Weezer

wasn't Elvis Presley 50s?
or mostly 60s?
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by Who66
Eddie Cochran! summertime blues, c'mon everybody, twenty flight rock...
and yeah buddy holly.

+ 1
no.

jk, Johhny B Goode, Johnny Cash, thats about it other than that i hate 50s music from what ive heard
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Elvis all the way
blue suede shoes
in the ghetto
cant help falling in love
and suspicious minds

also
everyday-buddy holly
anythign by willie nelson or johnny cash
"You've got to dance like nobody else is watching.
Dream like you will live forever.
Live like you're going to die tomorrow,
and love like it is never gonna hurt."
-- James Dean (1931-1955)

Quote by JakeTheDuck
This man has the right idea.

^
oh yeahhh
I don't know exactly how old the song is, but No Milk Today by Hermans Hermits is kinda cool.
Eddie Cochran is the best. Richie Valens is rad too.

Don't play Elvis. That's lame.
Quote by sargasm
Eddie Cochran is the best. Richie Valens is rad too.

Don't play Elvis. That's lame.

I used to think I was Ritchie Valens when La Bamba movie first came out! LOL. That is what got me into my love of music
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Not sure if Rockabilly was during the 1950s, but try some of that stuff. Pretty much any "rock" from those times is alright. One problem you will find because the 50s were an age of conformism is that there isn't any astonishingly good music, but thats what you get when you pick the 1950s.

Uhhh.... Are you joking?! rockabilly is the first raw form of rock and roll! july 1954, elvis records "Thats allright momma" this is considered the first rockabilly song. rockabilly was born BECAUSE of the conformism, and there are SOOOOO many awesome artists that came out of the 50's and influenced other artists.
The Beatles LOVED Elvis and Buddy holly, they named themselves the beatles because buddy holly's back up band was the crickets.
Johnny Cash, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis are just a few awesome artists that came from the 50's