Alright... so I have this Hamer Slammer SP-1 guitar, which was my first electric guitar. It's not a terrible guitar considering it's my first, and it's... 250 dollar (maybe) price. There are a few frets which buzz, but that's just because I lowered the bridge a bit...

So I was wondering... would it be an okay idea if I were to buy a Floyd Rose, and have it installed into that guitar?

Or is it a waste?

Here's the guitar, but red... mine's black:
http://www.slammerguitars.com/sp1.cfm
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Apr 15, 2008,
Normally installing a FR is a very expensive thing. You would want to buy an OFR, which would run you about $200 USD. Plus maybe another $100-$200 for all the carving. So you'd spend WWWAAAYYY more on installing an FR than you even spent on the guitar.

My suggestion? Save up a bit and buy something in the $600-$700 range with an LFR and take care of it. You'll probably need to replace it eventually, but if it's a good LFR then you can make it last quite awhile.

It's almost always cheaper to just buy a new guitar than to actually have one installed. I mean if you did get one installed you would've put over $600 in that guitar.
What if I installed it myself?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
edusty is completely correct. Its not worth it. If you want a floyd rose, get a better guitar to make it worth while. Its more bank for your buck.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Well... I have an Ibanez SZR 720...

But it's basically my child.

Edit: My thoughts were... if I get the Floyd Rose, or LRS (more expensive?) I could just put it in myself, rout the neck for the nut and stuff... then I could just take it off if I really needed to. Right?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Well... I have an Ibanez SZR 720...

But it's basically my child.

Edit: My thoughts were... if I get the Floyd Rose, or LRS (more expensive?) I could just put it in myself, rout the neck for the nut and stuff... then I could just take it off if I really needed to. Right?

You're going to have one ****ed up child if you drill everything out for a FR and then take it off. Once you put on a FR you cannot go back, you can block the trem, but you can't simply just "take it off".

If you did the drilling and routing yourself, you would run a serious risk in screwing up your guitar. This wouldn't be something that you could just send to the shop, this would make your guitar, well, retarded.

DO NOT INSTALL A FLOYD YOURSELF.

I'm not trying to say you can't do it, I'm just saying there's probably a lot more to installing one than either of us know.
Oops, I didn't mean to say that I was thinking of installing a Floy Rose on my new Ibby by myself. I meant to say that my thoughts were in the direction of my old, priceless (worthless... in that it's not worth anything, but priceless because it's how I started) guitar...
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Oops, I didn't mean to say that I was thinking of installing a Floy Rose on my new Ibby by myself. I meant to say that my thoughts were in the direction of my old, priceless (worthless... in that it's not worth anything, but priceless because it's how I started) guitar...

I strong suggest looking into Kahler or Bigsby, Kahler especially.

They are not the exact same systems, but they are much easier to maintain and Bigsbys are so easy to install a monkeys left nut could do it. (Yeah that's right. A monkey's left nut.) Kahlers will put you much closer to the O/L FR, and require hardly any modifications to the guitar, I think some actually just mount on like the Bigsby (remember the monkey testicle thing? If it's a mount on, you can do it by yourself!) but I could be wrong. It wouldn't cost NEAR as much to get a high-quality Kahler installed either, as there is much less routing. Which = more wood intact, which is a good thing.

Also, with some Kahlers, you can actually lock the bridge, so if you decide you want to drop tunings (on a FR, tunings will take about 5-10 minutes, not terrible, but it can be annoying, and the first time you're gonna look at it and go: 0_0 "WTF!!!", because of the springs and tension and everything. Yeah.) you can just pull out a screw driver, lock the bridge, and then drop away.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 15, 2008,
Can a Kahler function like an FR?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Really....

So how much does a Kahler cost?

And a Floyd Rose?

Would it change any aspects of my guitar (Ex... string tension, height, etc.)
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Really....

So how much does a Kahler cost?

And a Floyd Rose?

Would it change any aspects of my guitar (Ex... string tension, height, etc.)

Depends what Kahler you get, but I think they go from $150 to like a bit over $200, about the same as an OFR, which is what you're going to want.

Both are adjustable in every aspect, you will be able to raise/lower each and every string to your desire, if you search youtube for Kahler you'll get a ton of explanations, I don't claim to know everything about them. The kahler website also explains them very well.
So they work the same way... are easier to install, re-string (I'm assuming), and change tunings with... and some say they're better?

I'm looking on the site here at... the Cam-operated Tremolo Bridge system trem.... doesn't really have a name. They sound great though.

Edit: The more I read about this thing, the more I want one. This would be great on my old beastly Hamer.

I'll have to wait though... I seem to be about 500 bucks in debt.

Do you know ABOUT how much it would cost to get this trem... and have it set up professionally?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
So they work the same way... are easier to install, re-string (I'm assuming), and change tunings with... and some say they're better?

I'm looking on the site here at... the Cam-operated Tremolo Bridge system trem.... doesn't really have a name. They sound great though.

Edit: The more I read about this thing, the more I want one. This would be great on my old beastly Hamer.

I'll have to wait though... I seem to be about 500 bucks in debt.

Eh, that sucks dude. In the meantime, read up on them. Seriously, they're basically just an after market FR. I mean an OFR is probably going to be a little better, but if you got that you'd be paying BUNDLES more. Everything has it's quirks tho, even OFR's.
Have any idea how much it'd cost to get one, and have it set up professionally?
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Have any idea how much it'd cost to get one, and have it set up professionally?

A really high-quality Kahler (which you may as well invest in a good one, crappy trems aren't usually that big of a price difference but they can come out of tune easier, some even break or just end up cutting strings. Just buy a good one.) will probably run you $250 USD, the routing and set up will differ on where you go, but normally a set up is like $50-$70 USD, and the routing and installation SHOULDN'T run you over $100.

So total about $400, but more than likely the routing will be much less, and you might even be able to install it and set it up yourself, you may as well learn how to set one up if you have one, just in case something goes wrong or you want to adjust something.

They may even set it up for free if you have them do the routing and installation.
sounds like a good idea- to me anyway.

i'll never part with my sunn mustang strat fake, as its the guitar i learnt on and i love it- but its worth nothing. its in pieces at the moment as i'm fitting some better hardware and a tex mex HH loaded scratchplate, so it will be a totally different sound to my stock MIJ strat.

good luck with the project, i see exactly why you're doing it
Yep... so I found this Kahler 2300 tremolo bridge system on the site... it says easy to install on flat-top guitars (like mine), and it's only $339. It also says it only requires top-routing. Also, if I were to get a trem... I'd probably get a locking nut too.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL