i broke my finger at a stupid baseball tryout and now i cant play guitar for atleast a month. what do you guys suggest me doing to improve my skills or knowledge over this month because music is my life and this really sucks.
tht's no excuse for not playing.
Just don't use that finger.
I plays guitars.
Learn theory as much as you can, yo got no excuses now
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i broke my ring and middle finger on my fretting hand and i ended up inproving greatly becaues it forced me to ues my pinky.. so i guess what i'm trying to say is
make the best of it.. like someone said, thumb pick.
-you could also dive hard into theory
-mess around on a keyboard
-get a harmonica
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Fretting or picking hand?
Finger brace or full-arm cast?

If you can't play, you'll be annoyed, but you don't want to further damage your finger. If your doctor says to chill then chill. However, even if you can't play, you can improve your relative pitch, knowledge of theory, and ability to sing.

Regarding singing, you don't have to have a good voice, but it is very helpful to be able to sing or hum melodies you hear in your head, and if you get good, you can sing backup, harmony, or even lead in your band.
Quote by shoted
Legato.

I agree with this guy. Pluck a string with your thumb or something then hammer or pull off all the notes of a scale with your fretting hand.
Quote by RichieJovie
Rik Allen only has one arm, didn't stop him playing drums.

Django was down to 2 fingers he carried on.
Baseball is called Rounders here and is for Girls only.
heh, english elitism. Thank god I'm Australian :rollseyes:

To T/S, I play 4 different musical instruments (soon to be 5 when I can afford a sax ). If I cant play one, I'd play another. If your music really is your life, surely you play more than 1 musical instrument.

EDIT: and django had all 5 fingers and thumbs, except 2 of them of were deformed from a fire. He still occasionally used them, but they were probably painfull to use.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Apr 16, 2008,
Quote by RichieJovie
Rik Allen only has one arm, didn't stop him playing drums.

Django was down to 2 fingers he carried on.
Baseball is called Rounders here and is for Girls only.

umm, no baseball is called baseball. Rounders is called rounders and isn't just for girls

TS, learn theory, work on your ear skills and compositional skills. Get a program like sibelius and start writing music with that. If you don't feel like you can play or if the doctor told you not to, DON'T!
Quote by Eirien
umm, no baseball is called baseball. Rounders is called rounders and isn't just for girls

TS, learn theory, work on your ear skills and compositional skills. Get a program like sibelius and start writing music with that. If you don't feel like you can play or if the doctor told you not to, DON'T!

Baseball... rounders with gay hats. FACT
Quote by RichieJovie
Baseball... rounders with gay hats. FACT
The English are snobs. FACT

I agree with everyone who said emphasize your left hand technique. You might actually get more out of it cuz your right hand is out of commission.

And the thumb picking thing sounds cool unless your right hand is wrapped up in a way you can't(or shouldn't)
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by shoted
Legato.

+1

i spent so much time intentionally playing hammerons and pulloffs wherever possible, my left hand is far better in time since.
Quote by Sabaren
+1

i spent so much time intentionally playing hammerons and pulloffs wherever possible, my left hand is far better in time since.
If you're not good at it yet, become very proficient at alternate picking. It is the most important speed technique.
thanks everyone for the advice i am going to learn some theory and legato. does anyone have any legato exercises i can work on
Quote by KryptNet
I agree with everyone who said emphasize your left hand technique. You might actually get more out of it cuz your right hand is out of commission.

I disagree with this. For me, I wouldn't like to restrict myself to working on fretting hand technique if I was in the same situation as vacancy33. I imagine it would be very boring to spend most of my time practicing exercises rather than playing songs, or doing anything worthwhile musically. Any progress you actually make with your fretting hand would have to be gone over again to synchronise with your picking hand. Sure, it might save him a bit of time not having to rebuild his fret hand technique when he recovers but I don't think it's worth it really. I can't speak for vacancy33, but in this situation I would prefer to take a break from playing for a while and come back to it fresh.
practice hammer ons and pull offs like facking crazy.

make some killer tap songs.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.