Well, as much as I adore my relatively new (got it in February) Les Paul Studio, I've been thinking a fair bit about getting not one, but 2 new guitars to replace it this summer once I've got a few hundred more dollars saved up. I'm thinking of getting a MIM (or maybe a MIJ, if I can find one) Tele and a Schecter Hellraiser V FR. I'm looking for a variety of tones, stuff like Sublime, RHCP, Paramore, SRV, Cream- era Clapton, Allman Bros., Reel Big Fish, and Sum 41 (I'd probably use the Tele for this), and higher- gain stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, Satch, GN'R, Trivium, Pantera and the like, for which I'd use the Hellraiser, which I'd probably keep in D Standard with a D- Tuna.

Stop me now if I sound like an idiot for wanting sell my LP.

I'm pretty set on getting a Tele of some sort (maybe a G&L Tribute, though?), but I'm open to suggestions for the higher- gain guitar. For it, I'm looking for a locking trem of some sort, preferably an OFR. I might be interested in something with a thinner neck, since shredding on my LP has been difficult, but it's by no means a requirement. As for pickups, I'd prefer high- output passives, but I can be talked into EMG's. The main guitar I've been looking at as an alternative to the Hellraiser is this Ibanez Xiphos:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-XPT700-Electric-Guitar?sku=512557

Other than the Edge III, I actually prefer it to the Hellraiser, spec- wise. Plus, it costs about $200 less, so I might be able to look at a used MIA Tele instead of MIM. Is the Edge III really THAT bad?

Okay, to summarize:

1. Is it a dumb idea to be thinking about replacing my LP already, with 2 guitars that would presumably be slightly lower- quality?
2. How does a MIM Tele compare to other Tele copies in the price range? I'm open to both SS and HS pickup configurations.
3. What would be good choices for guitars with locking trems and high- output pickups? And is the Edge III THAT bad?

I'm playing through a Mesa F-30, by the way, and I'm trying to keep the total cost of the 2 guitars under $1,000 or so, but I can go over. If you've got the patience to have read through this massive post, I thank you.
Last edited by hrdcorelaxplaya at Apr 15, 2008,
If you feel as if you aren't happy with what your one guitar achieves now, then no, it's not too much of a bad idea to replace it with 2, or even 1, guitar(s). Bear in mind, The Schecters and MIM Fenders aren't bad guitars. I'd much rather have both of them then one good one.
hah i want to sell my Schecter 006 Blackjack and my MIM Fender Strat for a LP.
Quote by Moe.
If you feel as if you aren't happy with what your one guitar achieves now, then no, it's not too much of a bad idea to replace it with 2, or even 1, guitar(s). Bear in mind, The Schecters and MIM Fenders aren't bad guitars. I'd much rather have both of them then one good one.

I am happy with a lot of the tones my LP gives me, but it doesn't do Pop- punk, ska, or metal quite as nicely as I'd like it to, and it looks and sounds kind of stupid playing stuff like SRV. Plus, the tuners are kind of 'meh', and I do a lot of tuning from to D standard to E standard, so it seems like it's never in tune.

Anybody have input on what guitars to get?
If you get the Xiphos, buy an OFR with it to swap out (or get one ASAP, fast like) cos it's a quick job fitting one into an Edge III route. I say on a Xiphos it's definately worth that!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
If you get the Xiphos, buy an OFR with it to swap out (or get one ASAP, fast like) cos it's a quick job fitting one into an Edge III route. I say on a Xiphos it's definately worth that!

Exactly how much routing is involved in that process?

And would the Edge III have any resale value on ebay or craigslist?
Maybe you can sell it for fifty bucks to a n00bish wannabe luthier. If you're not completely happy with the LP it certainly isn't a bad idea to sell it and buy yourself a more versatile arsenal of guitars.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The Hellraiser V's nice, especially now that they have the coil tapping for the EMGs, making it a little more versatile then previous models. If you're still iffy about EMGs though, but still don't mind active pickups, you might want to look at the Schecter Blackjack ATX FR.

It's essentially a Hellraiser except with the newer Seymour Duncan Blackout active pickups, ebony fretboard, and the trem is still an OFR. Only it doesn't come in a V, and the finishes (Aged Satin Black and Aged Glossy White) are different than the regular Hellraiser line.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-BlackJack-ATX-FR-Electric-Guitar-515765-i1386633.gc

I've also got pictures of the Aged white one in my profile.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."