So as I stated in the title I'm pretty noobish at the whole guitar thing. I had always wanted to learn to play the guitar and I finally decided to buy a mexican strat about two weeks ago. The guy at guitar center told me that the guitar had already been set up. A few days ago i finally learned about intonation , and I noticed that both my 3rd and 6th string would not intonate. They are both about 10 cents off. So today I took it to a guitar repair shop to have it set up. I got it back and the guy said he had to lower the bridge and adjust the neck. So I got home and I've been practicing for about two hours and the 3rd and 6th strings are still off. But now the 6th string is buzzing at the 7th fret. The 3rd string is buzzing from the 5th to about the 10th and its transferring to the amp . And both will still not intonate.

So I have three questions:

1. Is the 10 cents off intonation ok?

2. Should I be worried about individual frets not been leveled?

3. I still have two weeks left to exchange the guitar, should I get a new one?

thanks

ps: have mercy on my noobie soul
idk, i guess if u got it set up and still not the way u want, exhancge it and hope for the best
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Congrats on your first guitar. That being said, sorry it's such a problematic one.

If it's that new, you shoulden't be having ANY problems with it. Personally, I'd take it back, explain what's been going on with it, and swap it for a properly set up guitar that plays as intended. If it's a problem now when it's new, imagine what it'll be in a year.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
sounds like the guitar center, and the repair place both let you down.

march the guitar back to guitar center and have them plug it in and tune it up in front of you.
if they cant get it to intonate exchange it for another.

usually i would suggest checking that the bridge is level, and asking if you swapped out the fender bullet strings and whatnot. but didnt you already take it in?
hopefully if these were problems, the repair center should have tried them already.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
sounds like the guitar center, and the repair place both let you down.

march the guitar back to guitar center and have them plug it in and tune it up in front of you.
if they cant get it to intonate exchange it for another.

usually i would suggest checking that the bridge is level, and asking if you swapped out the fender bullet strings and whatnot. but didn't you already take it in?
hopefully if these were problems, the repair center should have tried them already.

I haven't taken it to GC yet. I'll probably do that tomorrow. The guy at the repair center said there was something wrong with the bridge and so he tightened the springs in the back. I think he would try to tune the bottom three strings and the top three would go out of tune. at least i can still get it exchange, i called GC and they said to bring it in a get a new one
yeah the guy at the shop, tried to level the bridge. but failed for whatever reason.

and when i said GC failed you, i meant because you said, they claimed to have set it up before the sale.

i'd get another one, but i wouldnt even bother telling them you took it into another shop. cause they'll try to blame him for the set up problems.

anyway, go swap it for another. have it checked with a tuner before you leave.

on my mexican strat, i like a flush bridge. it holds its tune better. on my american strat, i'll leave it floating. talk to the GC guy about it. make sure you're happy with the action, the neck, the frets, the knobs, the input jack and strap buttons, that there's no grounding problems, excess humming or tuning problems.

take ur time in the shop. plug it in and bring a pick and a tuner.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011