So I was looking at Guitar Center.com the other day (because I can't drive to the nearest store) and I noticed that there were epiphone versions of Gibson guitars. This might be common knowledge, but I was just wondering how the epiphone versions stood up to the original gibsons?
Epiphones don't hold a candle to Gibsons. Many epiphones are bolt on necks, wheras Gibsons do not, helping with that warm tone. Epiphone uses cheaper parts, and I personally don't like them at all.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Minderbinder
Many epiphones are bolt on necks, wheras Gibsons do not, helping with that warm tone.

No? Most Epi's I have played were set necks.

Only their beginner packs have bolt ons and I think the LP50 or whatever it is.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by Minderbinder
Epiphones don't hold a candle to Gibsons. Many epiphones are bolt on necks, wheras Gibsons do not, helping with that warm tone. Epiphone uses cheaper parts, and I personally don't like them at all.

wrong my epi's got a set neck . I've played Gibsons and i prefer Epiphones way more.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
IMO, the higher classed Epiphones (the Elitest line to be exact) is far better than the low class Gibsons (special, faded ect) and on par with the standard and studio.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
My Epi has a set neck as well. I mean Gibsons are nice, but IMHO they are wayyyyy too overpriced.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Malarkatron
My Epi has a set neck as well. I mean Gibsons are nice, but IMHO they are wayyyyy too overpriced.

Agreed.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
how much do some of the better epiphones run? I always thought Epis were like the cheaper Gibson knock offs.
Quote by SeeMeNoMore
how much do some of the better epiphones run? I always thought Epis were like the cheaper Gibson knock offs.

In theory they are but the fact of the matter is that if you pay for a decent Epi LP (such as the elitist line or one of the 'customs') then you'll probably get a better guitar than if you shelled out all the extra cash for a low end Gibson (studio, faded blah blah blah). With a Gibson you pay an awful lot of money for that name.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Epiphones are great guitars if you ask me. I own an Epiphone Les Paul standard and it sounds great for only paying $400 for it. It has a set neck as well. If you buy an Epiphone Elitist or a Custom, you pretty much have a lower end Gibson.
Quote by Minderbinder

it depends on the epiphone you play... there's crappy gibsons too...

but yeah, most epiphones are lower quality, therefore, more affordable versions of gibson guitars, it depends on people's taste, some of them find them disgusting some others love itm it really depends on your experiences with them
Ive got an epiphone les paul custom, and i love it, got it slightly used for like $450, and its as good as the gibson's i have played, but it also has a few aftermarket hardware parts (tuning pegs, and the action was reset) so i have to take that into account. but i do believe you pay for the gibson name.
Epiphone > Gibson. I think both can be expensive, and I really don't see a problem with a bolt-on neck, and I'm on a low budget anyway, so I like Epiphone better.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster