Ok, so I've been wanting to build my own guitar for a long time, and recently i decided i was finally going to do it. I did a lot of research and figured what i wanted to do with my project guitar
So I got on Warmoth and ordered everything i needed. I got the VIP body style (resembles a PRS) with a mahogany back with a flame maple top, a rosewood neck with kingwood fingerboard that i'm super excited about, and everything else i would need except pickups.
This is where you guys come in. I need help choosing what pickups would suit my style. I was thinking of PRS Mccarty pickups, but i'm not sure. I'm going for a really warm smooth clean tone in the neck, and an edgy yet smooth bridge pickup. Think Pixies distorted tone on Where Is My Mind for the bridge. I'm going for the alternative/surfish sound. Please offer me some of your suggestions! Thanks!
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
I'm a big fan of the Dragon II's in my PRS Custom22, they're very dynamic and definately smooth sounding, despite being quite well suited for my brand of progressive metal aswell... But I also use it in a Jazz setting and in a more general rock/funk band. So if you're looking into PRS pickups I'd definately recommend the Dragon II's.
I have a Schecter C-1 Classic that i currently use and it has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck and i'm not crazy about the sound so i didn't really look into Seymour Duncan for my project guitar but i will look into your suggested pickups
Quote by Mr. Anderson
I have a Schecter C-1 Classic that i currently use and it has a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck and i'm not crazy about the sound so i didn't really look into Seymour Duncan for my project guitar but i will look into your suggested pickups

Yeah, I have the same pickups in my Schecter C-7 Blackjack. Nothing spectacular about them, nice leads but the JB sounds so thin for rhythm playing, and the 59 isn't very dynamic, just a single, bassy type of sound.
That bridge tone is bright and cutting. I'd be willing to bet it's a super distortion. Even if it's not a super distion, I think you could get that tone from a super distortion.

For a warm clean tone in the neck you could always see me about a PAF. Otherwise the Seymour Duncan pearly gates, Seth Lover, or add a cover to the seymour duncan 59.
Not taking any online orders.
Alright so i've read some reviews and from what i understand the PRS Mccarty pickups are really high quality too. Does anyone have any input on them?
Quote by Mr. Anderson
I'm going for a really warm smooth clean tone in the neck, and an edgy yet smooth bridge pickup.

Your choice of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro, Jazz, or '59 in either positions. I've heard good things about the Pearly Gates, but never actually tried it. Personally, I'd go with Alnico II's, but that's just my preference. It all depends on your rig and what and how you like to play.
i've heard stewmac golden age pups are really good and relatively cheap... 40 bucks each i think. they have 2 versions. one supposedly sounds like a PAF and the other is an overwound (hotter) version...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^you heard wrong. Stewmac golden age pickups are not better than GFS. If you want cheap pickups get some GFS pickups.

TS, I double checked some other pixies vids and it is, in fact, a super distortion in the bridge of his guitar. Get a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a vintage style PAF in the neck (not a DiMarzio PAF) and you will have the tone you are looking for. Don't get PRS pickups because they just arn't what you need.
^ when did i mention GFS pickups?

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^Sorry, I worded my statement poorly. When I said "you heard wrong" I was talking about the so called quality of golden age pickups. Who ever told you that golden age pickups were quality pickups was wrong. I brought up GFS pickups myself as an example of something that was similar in quality. Looking back it does look like I was implying that you compared them. That wasn't my intension.
i've read nothing but good reviews on them on the Ibanez forum, harmonycentral and various other googled sites. I looked up the GFS pups and read good reviews about them too but some people say that their QC is down the toilet... resistances varying, screws/pole piece differences in same model pups, different sound quality...

i'll stick to hand winding my own that way if they suck i only have myself to blame

I think i have decided on the Super Distortion and the Alnico II Pro...its ok to put two different brands together right?
yea there's no major difference... it's like having coke and pepsi in 2 separate cups with a little valve that switches between the two... depending on which one you want at the time you just flip the switch and you get a different flavor.

pickups are all basically just magnets, coils and wires - they dont differentiate by name brand. I think the color of the leads are different, however, so check the schematics that come with the pups

I have McCarty pickups in my Epi LP. Very nice pickups, fat round and warm. Brilliant for classic rock and clean tones. Its not however going to sound like you want as they just dont have the bite needed. The other thing i found is that they require a bit of unconventional wiring, you will need new pots switches and caps. pretty much everything will need replacing, oh they are also very expensive for what they are. You will get closer to what you want by going with another brand.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso