you have to find the right spot on your guitar, every guitar has a place where you can do it it is usually about halfway between the neck and bridge pup
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
It really does take a while to get used to. It's all in the motion.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
what helped me was to extend my thumb out the side of the pick (rather than below the tip), and you need the find the harmonics (normally) first, to know where to hit
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
I think pick-ups have a lot to do with it as well
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
lol yea i went threw alllll that stuff intill one day i was messing around with my pick hands position wen hitting the string n i ended up hitting a pinch harmonic n i was like woah ive been tryin all this time to do that n to me it wasnt like how it is in videos n stuff how the pick goes but i prolly do it diffrently
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
It took me forever, but now I do them all the time...in fact I think I may overuse them. But you just have to get the timing down right for when you hit the string with the pick and touch it with the side of your thumb. I know theres vids on youtube that show it upclose. Best of luck.
Just start on the G string, open, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th are real easy to get them on. Then just choke up on the pick, tilt it a little so you get the side of the thumb in on the action and start plucking the hell out of it everywhere. When you get close to a harmonic spot, the sound will change, so just keep fiddling with it until you get a clear ring. Also, you can do it without an amp at all, the sound is a lot quieter but you can still hear it when you get it. Once you find a harmonic, adjust your technique so you can get them every time instead of just hoping to hit it when the time comes.

EDIT - Also, an easy way to find out where one is, is turn your gain up and everything as you would, fret a note and play it. Then touch lightly in spots from the bridge to neck and you will hear a strong harmonic when you find a good spot, so that will give you an indicator of where to pick.
i had the same problem for a while, mostly because i hold the pick different than most. but i finaly got it by tilting my picking hand slightly towards the neck and let my ring finger act as the harmonic maker thing.. it works but sometimes cuts my finger a little.

hope you get it soon =D its good fun to throw em in in the middle of solos
Quote by Nihil
what helped me was to extend my thumb out the side of the pick (rather than below the tip), and you need the find the harmonics (normally) first, to know where to hit

+1
It just takes a lot of practice, took me three months to learn right :P
but, more sensitive pickups help, but it doesn't really make a difference, hell, if you can do them with active EMGs, you can do them with first act pups. and without a pick.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Nihil

thats how I do em....its really hard to do at first, but once you get the hang of it, its no problem at all.

and luckily on my teles the point where the bridge plate ends is a harmonic point so that makes it easy to find after the first time I did it.
is it that hard?????? i always thought pinch harmonics were pretty easy.. but thats pretty much the only thing i was able to pick p quickly XD. i turn my mids down and bass down. treble and gain all the way up. use like an overdrive pedal, a distortion pedal and amp distortion at the same time. guaranteed 45 second+ pinch harmonic. when learning just try it on every part of the string with each pickup. for me. its almot exactly in between my pickups.little closer to neck. hold your pick short. like not for strumming.. gotta have a thick pick. or use your fingernail, which is pretty hard to do.
Just be sure to angle the pick a bit, and practice on the middle strings.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by lpcustom325
you have to find the right spot on your guitar, every guitar has a place where you can do it it is usually about halfway between the neck and bridge pup

Also depends where you are fretting. The trick is to move your picking hand up or down the string to find the right spot when you play a higher or lower fret.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by 666Sabbath666
I think pick-ups have a lot to do with it as well

+10,000.

I couldn't do pinches very well at all on my stock-p'uped Epi LP, and when I got my LTD Viper 400 with EMGs, they were much, much easier to do.

And what the other guys said, find your sweet spot on picking the strings. I usually pick my pinch harmonics toward the bottom of my neck pickup.
practice - and you're not going to be able to do them unless you've already got a decent level of picking ability...accuracy, control etc.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pinch harmonics are like boners. Some can't get 'em at all, and some get them even when they're not trying.

I'm the latter of the two.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece