So my dad turns 50 this Saturday, and me and mom are getting him a bass. He's always liked Fenders, and has grown to like my 5 string Squier.The best we can afford right now is a MIM Jazz Standard V. I figured I'd check with UG to see if there was anyplace better than the Musiciansfriend price to get him one....is there?
Nope, no sig here.
Check your local shops. My local store will match or beat Musiciansfriends pricing, and throw in a gig bag and one free setup in a 6 month period.

Another advantage is that if there are issues, sending an item back to MF can be a trial. If something needs to be addressed or fixed, local is much easier. But again, it depends on the quality and quantity of your local shops.

And you get special kudos for me for buying your dad a bass
a Fender MIM Jazz would be a great gift for "Dad". and any music store, including GC,
will match musiciansfriend prices. your Dad is fortunate to have a family that cares.
tell him Happy Birthday from us, in the UG Bass forum!
I should start all my threads with "for Dad" and get the parents of the bass forum's opinions

if I started threads and if I had a dad

Haha
Quote by smb
I should start all my threads with "for Dad" and get the parents of the bass forum's opinions

if I started threads and if I had a dad

Haha

you have a Father, and your his favorite!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you have a Father, and your his favorite!

Cheers old man...I can't afford to get you a Fender though...maybe next year
Quote by anarkee
Hey hey hey!!! Don't forget about MOM!! Some mom's play bass too
Here you go then

Edit: hey hang on...you got Eddie Vedder for Mother's Day! What you complainin' for?
Last edited by smb at Apr 15, 2008,
@ conversation

I can't go local..I was planning to go to the GC in Little Rock. I was thinking that was the same system as MF...?

So this'll do it then, if I get it from a store? Thanks all!
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 16, 2008,
One advantage of buying from MF is that if you don't live in one of the few states they ship from, you pay no sales tax. And over 100, no shipping. So unless you get a lemon, buying from MF is buying from a store. Ebay and craigslist, however, are cheaper than both.
check out the local second hand paper or websites. you can get good quality things for cheap cheap prices *cheesy grin*
Quote by smb
Here you go then
Edit: hey hang on...you got Eddie Vedder for Mother's Day! What you complainin' for?

I know, I loves my Eddie Vedder very much.

Actually, Boyce I like the Badtz-Maru® Bronco™ Bass better than the DaisyRock Can I get one of those?
Quote by anarkee
I know, I loves my Eddie Vedder very much.

Actually, Boyce I like the Badtz-Maru® Bronco™ Bass better than the DaisyRock Can I get one of those?

Is it short scale? Because I heard girls can only play short scale basses - small hands and all
Quote by smb
Is it short scale? Because I heard girls can only play short scale basses - small hands and all

Well a normal Bronco is short scale but this is EXTRA short scale for tiny little petite flowers like myself

And to the TS, let us know how it all turns out with the surprise gift. And have your Dad sign up on UG--we need more outliers here to screw up the age stats!
Quote by anarkee
Well a normal Bronco is short scale but this is EXTRA short scale for tiny little petite flowers like myself

And to the TS, let us know how it all turns out with the surprise gift. And have your Dad sign up on UG--we need more outliers here to screw up the age stats!

You may screw up the age stats but the maturity stats haven't changed a bit
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
^lol

Cool story here: I went up to the local shop on a whim, just to take a look. Normally the stock mostly acoustics, and really nice ones like Ovation and Takamine, but electrics are mostly limited to California P bass and Strat copies, and S101 Tele copies. Good, but no Fender. I went in and there was a single Brown Sunburst MIM Fender Jazz V sitting there, for $399. The only Fender in the store, and one of 3 basses total.

To make things better my dad knows knows the owner of the store, and plays blues with him on weekends, so upon hearing who the bass was for he told me he'd give it a good tune-up and I can pick it up tomorrow.

edit: like this, but 5 string

Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 17, 2008,
Get him a 4/4 double bass
I can garantee(bad spelling) you will always be able to sit in the front seat on car trips lol
But seriously look for used basses
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by jake_1234
But seriously look for used basses

I'm not getting him something used...no. This is something special. A man only hits the big 5-0 once. Besides, I've already found exactly what we were looking for.
Nope, no sig here.
Yeh i posted without reading second page sorry lol
I saw the pic, he will be happy
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Yeh i posted without reading second page sorry lol
I saw the pic, he will be happy
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
update:

So..my dad's 50 today. When we finally got everyone home, my mom and brothers called him in and got him to sit on the couch (where I had conveniently left my amp and bass from "practicing" earlier), and started giving him cars from various people. Meanwhile I went and got the bass, in its case with a bow on it, and sneaked up behind the others where he couldn't see. When he finished reading they moved, and I told him jokingly that we figured he was tired of carrying my bass around in a gig bag so we got him a case, and passed it to him.

it gets good here

We haven't had a lot of spare money lately, so he wasn't expecting to get anything special, so just getting a bass of his own was a big thing, but it seems that his old J bass that he had 30 years ago was also Brown Sunburst with a white pickguard. He's regretted getting rid of it all of these years, and upon seeing one almost exactly like it he just broke down. I've only seen my dad cry a handful of times, this being maybe the 5th or 6th. (tears of joy, of course) He sat there and played it (smiling like a ten-year-old) for 45 minutes at least before he left with my mom.

So yeah...considering the circumstances I don't see any way for there to have been a better outcome than that. Finding that thing was a godsend, I swear. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Nope, no sig here.
Aww that's a lovely story! I'm glad it went so well and it sounds like you have a great family
You we get all these people who start threads, go off, make choices (or not) and we never get to hear how it all ends. Thanks for posting! What a great story, and you and your dad are both quite lucky for many, many reasons!
buy used. the only thing you get buying new is you get the chance to pay more.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.