I'm getting a new amp within the next month and I narrowed it down to a JCM 800, or a vintage modern. I went up and tried out the vintage modern today and the guy selling it was telling me it was basically a JCM 800 with better cleans. What are your opinions on them because I was leaning more towards the 800 until today but I dont know much about them except that they both sound good. I play classic rock stuff like GNR and aerosmith so i know both would be good for what I play. So what are you opinions on both amps?
I play music and stuff..
Quote by Gator823
I'm getting a new amp within the next month and I narrowed it down to a JCM 800, or a vintage modern. I went up and tried out the vintage modern today and the guy selling it was telling me it was basically a JCM 800 with better cleans. What are your opinions on them because I was leaning more towards the 800 until today but I dont know much about them except that they both sound good. I play classic rock stuff like GNR and aerosmith so i know both would be good for what I play. So what are you opinions on both amps?

are you kidding me?
The VM sucks
And the one i tried...well, it didnt have any cleans at all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The Vintage Modern seems to suffer somewhat from Marmite syndrome: you either love it, hate it or haven't tried it. So I advise you try it and see what you think; who cares what other people say right?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The Vintage Modern seems to suffer somewhat from Marmite syndrome: you either love it, hate it or haven't tried it. So I advise you try it and see what you think; who cares what other people say right?

The people who like it are the ones who can crank it.
It really doesnt sound good unless you can push the master way up.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Yeah one reason I was considering the vintage modern was because of the mid boost and the footswitch does the 800 have those.
I play music and stuff..
I loved the vintage modern. You have to know how to tweak the body and detail knobs so it doesnt get muddy. I think it's one of the best marshalls to come out in recent memory

But try it for yourself, it seems like a love it or hate it amp
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
With the dynamic range will i still need to roll my volume on my guitar to get cleans?
I play music and stuff..
Quote by kool98769
The people who like it are the ones who can crank it.
It really doesnt sound good unless you can push the master way up.

Nah, I've heard tonnes of people who say they cranked it and tweaked it for hours and they couldn't get a tone they liked out of it and just about the same number who said they loved it the second they plugged in; it really is just a love or hate thing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Gator823
With the dynamic range will i still need to roll my volume on my guitar to get cleans?

Well this apllies to 99,9% of all the tube amps in the world, roll off the volume knob and youu get cleans, it's nothing magical Marshall invented.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well this apllies to 99,9% of all the tube amps in the world, roll off the volume knob and youu get cleans, it's nothing magical Marshall invented.

I think the Vintage Modern does have a dedicated clean channel though, if i remember rightly it has a gain switch but not a real clean channel so you have to master the rolling off of volume to get a good clean sound.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I didn't really like the Vintage Modern at all. Fizzy sounding distortion. I'd be inclined to get something else. At that price level, it should be able to do more, and just sound better.

I agree. Even cranked, the VM sounded too fizzy. I can't say much for the cleans either. They may be better than the JCM800's cleans, but they're nothing special.
Quote by Gabel
^Nope it doesn't.

Yeah...that's what I meant...typo...

<.<

>.>

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
^

The main issue with the Vintage Modern is that it's extreme. Like the sounds on the preamps. The Detail is very thin and very fizzy, while the Body is way too muddy. Same with the overall gain. It's either way too clean OR way too gain-y for classic rock, but not a good metal amp.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

With the 800 and the vintage modern is there anyway to get cleans with out turning my guitar volume down.
I play music and stuff..
Well that would be to turn the gain down, but not like a two channel amp.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah i'm in the same problem, same influences as Gator and considering the VM and JCM800, which is best?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
So if I have to go from heavy distortion to cleans real fast is that possible without turning my guitar volume down? Is there a pedal I can buy that would do this?
I play music and stuff..
You can get foot switchable volume pedals that do the same thing as turning down your guitars volume but you'll never get a completely clean sound.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
get it man, its awesome i love it, and i play the same stuff you do, you just need to know how to tweek it, dont cut your mids too much, and for cleans just switch the dynamic range to the low one and roll back the volume on your guitar. people here are saying it doesnt sound good unless its cranked and thats not true, but if you want go with the 50w version, i have the 100w and play it around 4 and it sounds perfect
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!