i had a couple questions ng

i wanna play the blues so i assume mostly using the pents and minor blues scale would you say that would be correct?

second for the minor blues. i know my tonic chord would have to be minor or diminished possibly a minor or diminished seventh but can anyone give me any other ideas?

and the last 2

1)common blues progressions. i know the 12 bar blues but that is about it

2) kinda a stay in key guide for theis structure like maj min min maj ...etc

thank you to anyone that can help me if not i will try to figure it out on my own
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime

1)common blues progressions. i know the 12 bar blues but that is about it

2) kinda a stay in key guide for theis structure like maj min min maj ...etc

1. 12 Bar Blues is incredibly common. It generally uses dom7 chords (E7 A7 B7), even though the Em pentatonic is played over it. This has little theory behind it (unless you want to hear about altered dominant chords and trust me, you do not right now) but it is done because it sounds good.

2. Here's a common minor blues progression in Am. Each chord lasts one measure.
Am Dm Am Am Dm Dm Am Am F E7 Am Am (or E7).

I can go into more detail about what to play over that, but I'll have to do it next week; I have a busy couple of days ahead.
This

and

for minor.. This
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
^Take no offense, but that first link is terrible. I have no idea why it was acrhived; it's pure argument!

Redwing is a smart guy, so I'd guess that his minor blues lesson says whatever I wanted to say.

Beatallica_Fan has some great lessons on blues in the archives as well.
ahh thank you guys soo much

and BGC when evr you have the time i would love to hear it

if you forget i will ask in a week or so

yeah.. true.

it was in the sticky and made me think

and i dont have much time right now
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
As far as progressions, they are very loose. The old blues guys really just changed when it felt right, and it just happened that 12 was the magic number.

If you want something different within the 12 bar pattern, try quick change. That is
I IV I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I or V
Red didn't cover what I wanted to say, actually. He discussed substitutions, not soloing.

The jist is that, over the minor chords, you play some combination of the Minor Pentatonic, Natural Minor, or Dorian scale that corresponds with that chord (ie A scales over Am chord, but D scales over the Dm chord). You may also want to try to solo over the minor chords and first major chord with just the Natural Minor and Minor Pent scales of the first chord (Am over the whole thing).

Over that F chord, you can play A Natural Minor, A Minor Pentatonic, F Lydian, F Major Pentatonic, a whole bunch of things.

Over those E7 chords, you'll want to play A Harmonic Minor.

It should be clear that quite a lot of messing around will be required for creating a good blues solo, but I hope this gives you some guidance.

If you want more detail, I can write something longer next week, but you have to look through the FAQ and Archives to see if Cas or Beat ar Redwing or Raindog or anyone else intelligent has covered minor blues soloing. I don't want to say the same thing again.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

If you want more detail, I can write something longer next week, but you have to look through the FAQ and Archives to see if Cas or Beat ar Redwing or Raindog or anyone else intelligent has covered minor blues soloing. I don't want to say the same thing again.

i will and let you know when the time comes don't worry bout next week

going to bed have a good night but thanks for the info a good read for tommorow after work

Thanks.

But what I said makes sense to you, right?

Keep in mind, I sometimes make typos and say incorrect things, so if I say something that sounds wrong, please call me on it. I don't want your knowledge of theory to be wong due to a typo!