Allright, I know that changing strings and tuning is supposed to be difficult with double-locking tremolos, but just HOW long do these these really take?

I read on another site where a guy claimed that it normally takes a professional around an hour to change strings and get the guitar set up afterward. This CAN'T be true, can it?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, are tremolos like the Floyd Rose so difficult to deal with that it isn't worth buying a guitar that has one?
That isn't even close to right. I have a Schecter with a Floyd Rose and the first time i changed strings on it it took me a half hour and that was taking my time and learning how to do it. I'm sure once you get used too it it shouldn't take more than any normal string change. Plus it's worth it cause Floyd Roses' are soooooooooo much fun.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
It doesn't take 1 hour to change strings and set up a locking trem...whoever said that obviously was a noob at it. Unless they had a seriously messed up guitar to set up.

If you're quite a slow worker like I am with these things, it will probably take about 30mins, but I also clean the necks on mine, and the guitar itself, so I guess it could take 20-25mins ish if you are really slow and careful with stretching the strings.
yeah I love my floyd rose...
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
hey
well about 4 months ago i bought my new guitar, an ibanez S320 with the Zero Resistance double locking trem on it.
it's the best guitar i've ever played and the trem on it is brilliant.
a ZR structure is obviously different from a floyd rose, but the prinicple is the same.
It only takes me about 5 minutes to change a string and have it up and going again, which is good cause i go through a fair few strings lol

nahh seriously its totally worth it. I spent $1200 on my guitar and im never looking back, it's brilliant.

hope that helps.
But how much time does it take to tune it to a diffrent tuning? Theres got to be a reason for some people prefering non-locking trems
Quote by meyer7
Allright, I know that changing strings and tuning is supposed to be difficult with double-locking tremolos, but just HOW long do these these really take?

I read on another site where a guy claimed that it normally takes a professional around an hour to change strings and get the guitar set up afterward. This CAN'T be true, can it?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, are tremolos like the Floyd Rose so difficult to deal with that it isn't worth buying a guitar that has one?

The dude must have been retarded. Seriously, it doesn't take that long unless you are doing a set-up every time you change the strings on your guitar. I'm talking about setting the action, intonation, tremolo, etc. A string change usually only takes me about 30 minutes. If I'm in a hurry, maybe 20-25 minutes. Seriously, Floyd's are not that bad. Once you get used to dealing with them, you probably will love them. If I'm buying a guitar for lead playing, then a Floyd is great and almost a must have.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
This is all pretty good news to me.

I wasn't sure whether my next guitar should have a trem or a fixed bridge, but now I'm pretty sure I'll go with the trem.

Thanks for the responses!
For it to take someone about an hour to "change the strings" on a Floyd equipped guitar is a little hard to believe. If it did take him an hour, then he probably used a different gauge string. It really shouldn't take that long at all. I used to take about 10-15 minutes to change my strings on my guitar, and that's because I stuck with the same gauge, same tuning, and same brand of strings. I don't know what it is, but changing brands of strings means you gotta re-set it up. Maybe that's just me? Now that I've put in the Planetwave Auto-Trim tuners, time has been reduced a little bit.

Probably the biggest reason why an intelligent person wouldn't want a Floyd equipped guitar is for the sole purpose of changing tunings. With a fixed bridge, you just tune the guitar to whatever tuning you want. But with a Floyd, you have the play around with the screws in the back of the guitar to get the bridge to float.