Would it be worth the absolute pain of moving for .9 strings to .11 strings for the tone? would it be that much more awesome so that it would make up for the pain and difficulty with bending?

this would be on my MIA strat and used for standard tuning.

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by The Minorthreat
If you use gauges under .11 your baby.

joking.

*sniffle* so what if i am?

but seriously tho, is it that awesome of a difference?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
yes, i did it and my guitar plays, sounds, and stays in tune better, i made the switch on both my sg and american strat, and they dont hurt
very worth it. the tone really is much more solid. so it's good for playing heavy stuff.

and also, the new thickness can help you develop strength, for when you play 9s again...but that probably won't happen once you try 11s
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Yes, .011's are far superior. I use DR Pure Nickel .011-.050. Since you are coming from 9s you will have to build calluses again but once you build calluses and your fingers get stronger you will have no problem bending and everything. And then if someone else picks up your guitar they'll be like, "omg this is so hard to play" and then you'll know that they are girly men.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I'm thinking of going to 11s too (currently using 9s).

Should I go from 9->10->11 or just go from 9->11s? Sorry about the small hijacking, I don't think my question is worth a new thread. Cheers.
Quote by CedricL
I'm thinking of going to 11s too (currently using 9s).

Should I go from 9->10->11 or just go from 9->11s? Sorry about the small hijacking, I don't think my question is worth a new thread. Cheers.

lol idc, in my brief escapade into the 10 world, i was not impressed enough to stay there (hence my thinking about 11's) so I'm going straight to 11's so that i can enjoy the difference...even if there is more pain
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
With a jump from 9s to 11s you will probably need to adjust your truss rod, and you will need to adjust string height at intonation. All of this is very simple and if you search you'll probably find hundreds of threads with instructions on what to do.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

I've tried TONS of different gauges of strings. Tone-wise, thickening the high strings don't make as much a difference as thickening the bottom strings.

Yes, the feel will be different, but if you want to change your tone, going from 9 to 11 on the highs won't change much. You can try those ones by EB thats got only the bottom strings thick.

Doesn't hurt to try anything though. Its the best way to learn.
Quote by bored_maniac33
*sniffle* so what if i am?

but seriously tho, is it that awesome of a difference?

the only point i see in using heavy gauges, is for low tunings, it gives you a deep sound, and there's less rattling on the strings, other than that, there's no huge difference in tone, it is thicker, but a nice warm set up on your amp could do the same
Thicker strings stay in tune better and last longer, so even if you don't hear the difference in tone (there is one) there are still benefits. I personally just hate the feel of light strings. Moreso I hate the feel of light top strings with heavy bottoms, I want them balanced. I tried a set of .010-.052 and that might be the shortest amount of time I had a set of strings on, I hate them. I'd rather have .011-.038 than .010-.052.

But strings are a personal thing and you've got to decide for yourself.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by Schneiderman
With a jump from 9s to 11s you will probably need to adjust your truss rod, and you will need to adjust string height at intonation. All of this is very simple and if you search you'll probably find hundreds of threads with instructions on what to do.

yea, i was going to have my local shop set it up
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Whilst on the subject, I play a MIJ strat with 10's, but I have an LP studio on its way soon, which is second hand and I will have it set up for whatever strings I want.

Am I right in thinking that because of the scale length it should be easier to bend thick strings on the les paul than on the strat?

If thats the case then I might have the LP set up for 11's to begin with and go from there, I was gonna go for 10's like my strat has.

Or is that complete testicles?
............. And then if someone else picks up your guitar they'll be like, "omg this is so hard to play" and then you'll know that they are girly men.

hahaha that comment alone makes me want to change to 11s
wow. i'm afraid to use 9's because i'm afraid imma break them XD. i'd use 10-52's, but 11's are fine.
It will probably only take you 10-15 minutes to get used to the 11's, which will have a thicker tone, and (maybe) be a bit harder to do bends on, but other than that, they are easily used.

I jumped from 10's on my strat to 13's on my SG when I bought it a long time ago, and that was ridiculously hard to get used to, given that the strings were gigantic and the G and B strings were near impossible to bend due to the tension on the neck.

I think from 9's to 11's there won't be that much difference though, you'll get used to it easily and probably find that you like the punchy, warm, orgasmic tone a lot more than the trebly tone of 9's.

Other than that, thicker strings do tend to last longer than thinner strings, partly due to oxidation not ruining the strings as fast. Go for it.
2003 Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts
2006 Epiphone 66' Re-Issue SG
1980's USA Fender Stratocaster w/ 50's Gibson Humbucker
Fender Deluxe 112 Plus Amplifier
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT Amplifier
Peavey Basic 50 Amplifier
Pod XT Pro