Page 1 of 5
No, not the band. (First thing that came into my head when I read the title)

I went to my physician this afternoon in hopes of getting some sleeping pills...ever since I can remember, I've never been able to sleep at night. I have a normal bedtime of around 2:30, it's not insomnia, my mind is always blank. I just can't sleep. Also, caffeine and other stimulants don't work on me. Neither do depressants, pick-me-up drugs, or anything that aims to make you feeling more awake or put you down (I have to get 6 shots of procain to the jaw every time I go to the dentist, I have to sign a liability form that if I get cancer from it, that I won't sue them. However, I had heard of something like 1200 MG that supposedly is used for people on extreme sleep deprivation cycles, which is why I went to him today.

Anyways, he asked me to describe how I usually go to bed, and my dreams. I says "My dreams are whatever I make them". He looks confused, and asks me to explain.

Essentially:
To go to bed each night, I have to develop a dream in my mind, while conscious. However, it's not some cheesy "I have superpowers" dream. I usually develop the story for a few hours, and only then can I get sleep. (I have my own dream theater that I visit every night, except I have to make up different casts and characters each time)

My doctor got a weird look on his face, and asked me if I had ever had "elongated dreams"

Being the medical professor that I am, I had no idea what he was talking about. However, I started to explain what I THOUGHT he meant, and in that told him of some nights, maybe once a month, where I develop a story of an infant that was just being born. After developing the story on my own for about an hour, I can usually get to sleep.
However, when asleep, my mind expands upon in it a way unlike the others: it presents the dream as if I was living this person's life. I've lived entire lifetimes in one night, from birth until death. I wanted to create a world, when I was little and first started doing this, where I was born different, a different person, whatever. Anyways, the first time I did, this happened, and I've been doing it ever since.

now, the reason why I only do it once per month is because it gets kinda scary...they're not actual people's lives, but there are some frightening moments in there, like death, that I would not like to contemplate at this present time. The most recent one, about a week ago, I was reminiscing as my life when I was a teenager, and differentiating different aspects, when I fell asleep, and at the end, in the dying scene, I was killed in a car wreck at age 60. I lived my entire life, but watching through the glass. I could interact, I could move this person's arms, and everything, but at the end, I just felt pain. In the morning, I woke up with pains in my chest, which I also went to the hospital for, but they said it was nothing.

I know it's been terribly long at this point, but please bear with me:

After that, my doctor wrote something down, and recommended me to a psychiatrist that my insurance could pay for, stating that "it wasn't normal".

I plan on going to the psychiatrist because I'm curious about them myself...I don't care if I have lucid dreams every night, but if there's something mental going on here, I want to know what it is.

Does anyone else happen to be like this?

Update

Just got back from the psych...he was so interested in hearing me tell about it that he went over the half hour the meeting was supposed to last and extended it into 1 hour and 20 minutes...

Apparently, according to him, after consulting some books and calling some people, there was no name for what I experience each night. We have already covered that it was not caused by some traumatic event...it's just the natural dream cycle for me.

However, his colleagues, after hearing about it, apparently wanted to meet me, so I'm now invited to some social of theirs where I'm supposed to meet and greet with about 35 different people...

The psychiatrist that was recommended to me, Dr. Jesmonth, told me that I would be the subject of a new study...of what, I'm not sure.

In the mean time, he told me to try and remember all these "lifetimes" I've had, so they can get a better study of me....

Rather strange, really....I never thought I was exciting enough to be the subject of a study...especially of something I've been doing since as long as I can remember 0.o

Anyways, cheers to the social, which is this Saturday...thanks for all the responses, guys.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Last edited by yurfinlfntsy at Apr 16, 2008,
I sorta do the same thing, although once i fall asleep the dream usually ends or i do not remember it. If my mind is inactive then i can't seem to fall asleep.
o ****..

edit: thats rediculous dude
i cant remember my dreams for sh!t
i can remember like 10 over the course of my whole life
ive been trying to lucid dream for a while, but i cant do it
Last edited by oh noes!! at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
That's sounds really awesome, but I guess having a good dreamless night is great too. I hope everything goes well for you, man.

That's the thing...

I've never had a dreamless sleep.
I've always considered it normal, but I'm probably going to be diagnosed with some disorder from this psychiatrist.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
that is amazing. you have no idea how jealous i am. i used to have crazy **** happen to me 1 or 2 years ago but since then my sleeping has been kind of normal. even though it was often reallllly scary, it was probably worth it cause it is so awesome
that sounds pretty cool but also kinda freaky. it would be weird seeing yourself "die" once a month
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
I usually have those same types of dreams. I feel pain an everything. He said that type of thing wasnt normal?
Quote by BGrem261
You are a very loving and smart carton of fries...

THE BOSS of the
Official Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid Group

Click to join
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
when enough rednecks start talking about how awesome it is, that's when it's defined as classic rock.
I once dreamt I was a ninja hidden in a barrel, and when I popped out, my head was cut off by another ninja.

It felt so real, too.

I'm dead serious.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
.. i like you yurfinlfntsy
Quote by AtThisVelocity
Metal_Hed_23, will you marry me?

Quote by drewfromutah
If she takes her pill properly and you still pill out or use a condom, just quit having sex altogether. The damn pill was built so that you can ride bareback and film your own creampie movies afterwards.
yo thats actually the coolest thing ive ever head! youre the sickest dude ever!!!!
I neaver dream at all, pretty boring, but Ive thought about something lik what happens to you when you go to sleep (living an entire lifetime in a night). It sounds pretty gay to say the least.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
You should read The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud, very interesting indeed, but you might want to brush up on your vocabulary before reading it lol.
Quote by megatallica666
ive heard that everyone always dreams just sometimes cannot remember it.

That's the only thing. I am consciously aware of the dream (only one) I have each night.

Quote by Metal_Hed_23
.. i like you yurfinlfntsy

And I like you, too.

Quote by Thornography
His pH level is 8.5!

When do I get my pHd then?

(I know it's a chemistry joke)

Quote by telec77smb
You should read The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud, very interesting indeed, but you might want to brush up on your vocabulary before reading it lol.

I read it in 10th grade, when it came out for me.
pH of 8.5 is slightly basic not acidic..... and yeah i feel pain in my dreams alot too.... its ****ed ive always wanted to ask a doctor
I kinda do the same thing, but the story seems to happen in normal time, like if I sleep 8 hours, that's about how much time passes in the dream. Mine aren't usually scary, just kind of weird.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
i had a weird dream last night it felt like i was on a drug trip and i tryed looking around my room but it was all red i was scared ****less
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Yeah. I get lucid dreams I have to develop into a story pretty often too. You might get diagnosed with some form of psycosis (Sp, i know). But, as long as you arent dieing in the end every night, it might just be something wierd.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
hey give us an update when you find out whats going on
Quote by RyanGillam
You got to admire people that share their problems over the internet.

Quote by Våd Hamster
....You need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpg >_>
So can you have any story you want as long you create it? I would love to be able to do that. Hope everything goes well for you. Please update us.
I'm sorry for you man . Must be a pain in the ass...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

dude i do the same thing
member of ug hatecrew

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
I wasn't gonna read it cuz its so long, but then I realized thats exactly what I do to sleep (on the rare occasions that I do sleep).

I went to therapy and stuff for it but they didn't really help.

They just told me to write down my thoughts (which I did anyway), and to take sleeping pills (which I am morally against).
O.o

Lets have a sexy partay!

Quote by R_U_READY?
brutal cabbage you sire are, in all sense of the word, a LEGEND no abbreviation can portray the hilarity of what u hav bequeathed to us, i love you for this

I am loved!
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I have a normal bedtime of around 2:30, it's not insomnia, my mind is always blank.

I dunno about the majority of you guys, but that seems pretty late, if you mean 2:30am that is? Try going to bed earlier, could help.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
The longest a dream for me has ever lasted is a week, and I've always dreamed as either me, or in third person watching me. I do do that setting up your dream before you fall asleep thing though. That's the only way I can fall asleep. Any other way takes me like 5 hours. The "dream theater" way only takes me like 30 minutes to an hour depending on how tired I am.

Are your dreams lucid? Like, you know it's a dream? Mine usually aren't.

I think there's nothing wrong with setting up dreams, but living a lifetime is definitely not normal. I think you've been taking too much DMT, lol.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
However, when asleep, my mind expands upon in it a way unlike the others: it presents the dream as if I was living this person's life. I've lived entire lifetimes in one night, from birth until death. I wanted to create a world, when I was little and first started doing this, where I was born different, a different person, whatever. Anyways, the first time I did, this happened, and I've been doing it ever since.

This is literally the trippiest, most freakily psychedelic thing I have ever heard...more so than any combination of drugs I've ever taken, had described to me or read about. The only things I've ever heard about that could come close to this are DMT or a K-hole, and both of these are much shorter and involve massive dissociation from normal thought process and awareness as opposed to an entire new reality that lasts the duration of a complete fictional life.

Christ, even thinking about this is blowing my mind (man). You should be some sort of case study - if people think the stuff your mind comes up with on powerful psychedelic drugs is interesting in the field of brain chemistry or psychology, then this...this is much stranger. Just the very idea that you can live out an entire life - maybe 70 years, over half a million hours (just try and imagine that...), this entire reality...if this isn't some kind of elaborate bull****, joke or put-on then it's definitely the most interesting mental activity I've ever heard of.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
This is literally the trippiest, most freakily psychedelic thing I have ever heard...more so than any combination of drugs I've ever taken, had described to me or read about. The only things I've ever heard about that could come close to this are DMT or a K-hole, and both of these are much shorter and involve massive dissociation from normal thought process and awareness as opposed to an entire new reality that lasts the duration of a complete fictional life.

Christ, even thinking about this is blowing my mind (man). You should be some sort of case study - if people think the stuff your mind comes up with on powerful psychedelic drugs is interesting in the field of brain chemistry or psychology, then this...this is much stranger. Just the very idea that you can live out an entire life - maybe 70 years, over half a million hours (just try and imagine that...), this entire reality...if this isn't some kind of elaborate bull****, joke or put-on then it's definitely the most interesting mental activity I've ever heard of.

I think a lot of people have had dreams of whole lifetimes.
Right?

I dozed off earlier today for 45 seconds and had a full nightmare

woke up about to shit myself
O.o

Lets have a sexy partay!

Quote by R_U_READY?
brutal cabbage you sire are, in all sense of the word, a LEGEND no abbreviation can portray the hilarity of what u hav bequeathed to us, i love you for this

I am loved!
Those sound like crazy dreams TS, I'd kinda hate to be in that position.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Hey that's pretty cool stuff!

I have a similar situation, where I'll lie in bed for a minimum of an hour and a half (although these days it's getting to be up to 4 or 6 hours), and I'll have to sit there and consciously think about an entrance into a dream. Once I actually fall asleep, I zip around weird places, or I start living my memories (I have a very good memory, and those dreams feel like I'm watching myself in third person). The fun dreams are the ones where you recreate a part of your life, but alter one small little bit and your dream sorta does a run through of what that life could have been like (ie. "I wonder what would've happened if I said ____").

The hard part for me is, I jump around thoughts a lot so I never really get one idea on track, thus making it hard to fall asleep.

There have been a few times I've dreamt of my death and I always jolt awake at the very last second in a panic.

One thing I've found that helps a bit to fall asleep easier is to just repeat in my head "Sleeeeeep...sleeeeeep" haha, it's like a mantra I guess, and concentrate on relaxing all your muscles (face muscles are the hardest I find).

I've been contemplating sleeping pills as well, but I don't think I like the idea of becoming addicted or accustomed to them, so that when you stop it becomes REALLY difficult to fall asleep.
Page 1 of 5