My first attempt at a real song, the drums are programmed and since I am not a drummer don't expect much in this department.

Mostly contains dual guitars with some low end rhythm and tonally higher melodies, I am kind of all over the place when it comes to styles, and I think it's lacking a general cohesion or sense of direction.

Anyway any comments, criticisms, insults are appreciated :P

http://www.last.fm/music/Governor+Engine
i didn't like it much. It lacks a real solid riff through most of it.
i liked the clean part though, it sounds like it could be the beginning of a song itself, it doesn't really fit in with the rest.
pretty good guitar tone, and it's an alright mix
Edit: i'd say it's about 3/5

feel free to crit anything on my page you want
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Last edited by cerveza at Apr 16, 2008,
Thank you for the crits

I think I went overboard with the riffs and harmonizing, I think I will keep things simple next time
I really didn't like the intro at all even though it was short. The riff following that seemed to remind me of bagpipes playing a riff rather than a guitar. Like the person above me has said it just seems like you threw a lot of random riffs together and came up with this. The solo was alright though, got a bit repetitive and the tone seemed to sound weird towards the end of it though. The one part of the song you did very well with is the clean section, it just didn't fit the rest of the song. Personally I'd keep that riff and write a song around that section instead of the other riffs in this song. The problem was your main riff seemed to be more a lead that I really didn't care for too much, which also leaves little space for vocals if you planned on adding them. The clean section of the song was great though, focus on that for a future riff.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836418 Any of the songs on there would be fine if you could, thanks.
You did an excellent programming drums, especially considering the wildly eclectic rhythms... Were there any odd time signatures in there? It was tough to tell because some of the riffs were very well disguised 4/4. I listened twice and still couldn't count out a few of them! I notice for the solo you went back to a standard 4/4 beat though :p

Unlike everyone else I enjoyed this a lot. The riffs were very eclectic like I said, but everything flowed well and was still cohesive. It was a very engaging listen and made me pay attention more than a lot of the stuff posted here.
You did an excellent programming drums, especially considering the wildly eclectic rhythms... Were there any odd time signatures in there? It was tough to tell because some of the riffs were very well disguised 4/4. I listened twice and still couldn't count out a few of them! I notice for the solo you went back to a standard 4/4 beat though :p

Unlike everyone else I enjoyed this a lot. The riffs were very eclectic like I said, but everything flowed well and was still cohesive. It was a very engaging listen and made me pay attention more than a lot of the stuff posted here.

Thank you for the comment.

You have a very good ear, the song switches to 8/4 after the first section and goes back to 4/4, most people don't notice this.