I was wondering if its a bad thing to try playing lead before mastering rhythm. I've been playing for about 10 months now, and I can play most of the major and minor chords, and I am decent at barre chords. I can play a bunch of rhythms, but I still make a few mistakes here and there in the chord switchings. However, I feel that I like playing solos, appregios, and scales much more than chords, so I've been practicing those much more than chords lately. Is this jumping the gun too soon? Should I completely master rhythm before I even think of playing lead, or is it okay to try to play both?
There's nothing wrong with venturing into lead guitar, but I'd really advise that you make sure to maintain your rhythmic practice. Your lead playing will suffer if you can't keep a steady beat. If you haven't already, it'd help immensely to be able to count musical rhythms. If you can't play certain rhythms correctly slow them down as much as you must to play them correctly. Just my opinion, hope this helps.
Quote by silvadolla
There's nothing wrong with venturing into lead guitar, but I'd really advise that you make sure to maintain your rhythmic practice. Your lead playing will suffer if you can't keep a steady beat. If you haven't already, it'd help immensely to be able to count musical rhythms. If you can't play certain rhythms correctly slow them down as much as you must to play them correctly. Just my opinion, hope this helps.

What do you mean by counting musical rhythms? Well, I use a metronome when I do my daily finger exercises. That should help right?
Quote by killatm
What do you mean by counting musical rhythms? Well, I use a metronome when I do my daily finger exercises. That should help right?

definitely, i meant like being able to differentiate between quarter notes, eighth notes, half notes, whole notes, etc. It helps immensely.
Quote by silvadolla
definitely, i meant like being able to differentiate between quarter notes, eighth notes, half notes, whole notes, etc. It helps immensely.

Oh I see. I should work on that. I have trouble following the metronome for complex rhythm patterns outside of 4/4 or 3/4. The thing is that I don't have any musical background, so I'm not very good with the technical stuff. I just bought a guitar one day and started playing
Quote by killatm
I was wondering if its a bad thing to try playing lead before mastering rhythm. I've been playing for about 10 months now, and I can play most of the major and minor chords, and I am decent at barre chords. I can play a bunch of rhythms, but I still make a few mistakes here and there in the chord switchings. However, I feel that I like playing solos, appregios, and scales much more than chords, so I've been practicing those much more than chords lately. Is this jumping the gun too soon? Should I completely master rhythm before I even think of playing lead, or is it okay to try to play both?

You'll never completely "master" either of them - but suffice to say it's impossible to be a half decent lead guitarist unless you're already a competent rhythm player. To play lead well you need to have a good understanding of the chords you're playing over to enable you to choose your notes effectively, you also need to be able to keep time well. Theory-wise it all ties in together anyway, the more you know about either the better you are.

At the end of the day it's all just playing the guitar, there's not really any such thing as a lead or rhythm guitarist. The best thing to do is just keep learning new songs, learn the rhythm part and learn the solo - that way you keep learning in a balanced way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
you probably won't be able to play arpeggios after only 10 months of playing. i've been playing for 4 years and i'm just now learning them.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Quote by Jacob6293
you probably won't be able to play arpeggios after only 10 months of playing. i've been playing for 4 years and i'm just now learning them.

Thats not true. An arpeggio is just a chord played with one note at a time. if you can play a chord you can play an arpeggio.
Quote by Jacob6293

I've been playing for 4 months and can do basic 3 and 4 string sweeps. If you put your mind to it and practice with a metronome every day, it's really not that hard. People really exaggerate how hard sweep picking is. All because it took you 4 years to learn them doesn't mean he should wait longer to learn a new technique.
Quote by Jacob6293

You're looking at this a little wrong I think, an arpeggio is just a chord played as individual notes rather than as a chord; you seem to be thinking exclusively in sweeps on as a fast idea and arpeggios have much bigger uses and can sound better than some stupid fast sweeping.

Quote by Crabs111
I've been playing for 4 months and can do basic 3 and 4 string sweeps. If you put your mind to it and practice with a metronome every day, it's really not that hard. People really exaggerate how hard sweep picking is. All because it took you 4 years to learn them doesn't mean he should wait longer to learn a new technique.

You are also thinking the wrong way: arpeggios are not a tool for speed, they can be used for extremely harmonically rich playing in the vein of the great jazz masters.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are also thinking the wrong way: arpeggios are not a tool for speed, they can be used for extremely harmonically rich playing in the vein of the great jazz masters.

Thats why I said sweep picking because thats what I thought he meant by arpeggios. Never said arpeggios
Quote by Crabs111
Thats why I said sweep picking because thats what I thought he meant by arpeggios. Never said arpeggios

Actually he did explicity state arpeggios but seeing as how you both seem to be thinking of arpeggios in a strickly ssweep picking sense you're both wrong.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually he did explicity state arpeggios but seeing as how you both seem to be thinking of arpeggios in a strickly ssweep picking sense you're both wrong.

When he said he started playing arpeggios after 4 years, I thought he HAD to be thinking sweep picking. Which is why I said sweep picking. Sweep picking are arpeggios, playing individually picking the notes in chords are arpeggios. Picking our notes in chords is not that difficult but sweeping is considered by most people to be difficult. I thought if he said it took him four years to individually pick out notes in chords than he must really suck, so I stated "sweep picking" because that was the technique he was obviously reffering to. Notice how I said technique in my original post, not arpeggios.
Quote by Crabs111
When he said he started playing arpeggios after 4 years, I thought he HAD to be thinking sweep picking. Which is why I said sweep picking. Sweep picking are arpeggios, playing individually picking the notes in chords are arpeggios. Picking our notes in chords is not that difficult but sweeping is considered by most people to be difficult. I thought if he said it took him four years to individually pick out notes in chords than he must really suck, so I stated "sweep picking" because that was the technique he was obviously reffering to. Notice how I said technique in my original post, not arpeggios.

Wrong again; sweeping is not arpeggios, sweeping is a technique which is almost completely unrelated to the notes you play with it. You're both wrong because he was thinking that arpeggios = sweeping and you're wrong for thinking the other way round, sweeping and arpeggios need not be related at all and in fact they shouldn't be, sweeping is a technique where arpeggios are theory: an application for the technique.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by killatm

what about suspended, major and dominant seventh, sixths... there many other chord types

but also, if you want to improve your leads... then do it, there's no point on doing something that will probable frustrate you when you can do something that you are looking forward to do
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wrong again; sweeping is not arpeggios, sweeping is a technique which is almost completely unrelated to the notes you play with it. You're both wrong because he was thinking that arpeggios = sweeping and you're wrong for thinking the other way round, sweeping and arpeggios need not be related at all and in fact they shouldn't be, sweeping is a technique where arpeggios are theory: an application for the technique.

But if you are sweep picking you are technically doing an arpeggio, no matter what notes you are playing. So if you are sweep picking you are playing an arpeggio. So the technique of sweep picking HAS to be an arpeggio.

I may be wrong here but I like to understand why I'm wrong. So I'm sorry if my arguments annoy you.
Quote by Crabs111
But if you are sweep picking you are technically doing an arpeggio, no matter what notes you are playing.

Wrong

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------5------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------9---------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------2------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------7--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Try sweep picking that. That's no arpeggio, that's simply the same note repeated on four strings.
Quote by silvadolla
Wrong

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------5------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-----------9---------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------2------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|------7--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Try sweep picking that. That's no arpeggio, that's simply the same note repeated on four strings.

You win. I am defeated.
my advice is this- find some one to jam with and develope both your lead and rythym at the same time, i love coming up with a bad-a riff and soloing to it, and then playing rythym and listening to my buds solo over it.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV