Alright. I've ditched the idea of the Valveking. I'm going to try and get a used Peavey 5150 212 combo off of ebay. Seems they're going for about 400 or 500...

Anyways, I wanted some feedback on my idea for my rig. I'm going to buy the 5150, a Digitech Badmonkey, a Danelectro Fish and Chips, and the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppresor right off. Then I plan on buying the Morley Bad Horsie Wah, and the EHX Small Clone.

I play stuff along the lines of Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot. Mostly metal.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on this setup. I plan on gigging with this, and would like it to be decent. Thanks in advance.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Alright. I've ditched the idea of the Valveking. I'm going to try and get a used Peavey 5150 212 combo off of ebay. Seems they're going for about 400 or 500...

Anyways, I wanted some feedback on my idea for my rig. I'm going to buy the 5150, a Digitech Badmonkey, a Danelectro Fish and Chips, and the Boss NS-2 Noise Suppresor right off. Then I plan on buying the Morley Bad Horsie Wah, and the EHX Small Clone.

I play stuff along the lines of Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot. Mostly metal.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on this setup. I plan on gigging with this, and would like it to be decent. Thanks in advance.

Good choice... on the amp and pedals except i would get the Isp Decimator instead of the NS-2. Also spring for the mxr 10 band if you can, if not the fish and chips is a good pedal for the time being.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Well, I planned on getting a lot of this from Guitar Center, and I can't seem to find the Decimator. How much might one cost me?

They can order it off there website. They run like 109.99-119.99
i hear that the 10 band EQ is a lil unecessary for most guitarists unless their complete tone freaks. all who use the MXR 6 band say it works perfect for them. not to mention the 10 band takes a different type of power supply so for some people that could be a tad bit of hassle.

food for thought

other than that, it sounds like you'll be set for ur sound man!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i hear that the 10 band EQ is a lil unecessary for most guitarists unless their complete tone freaks. all who use the MXR 6 band say it works perfect for them. not to mention the 10 band takes a different type of power supply so for some people that could be a tad bit of hassle.

food for thought

other than that, it sounds like you'll be set for ur sound man!!

Yeah. I heard the same. That's why I decided to get the Fish and Chips. 7 band for 30 bucks? And who cares if it's plastic? It's 30 bucks.
And some people say a eq in general is unecessary

I purchased the 10 band because i didnt want to have to worry about buying another one later on and there's certain freq's you cant pull out with a 6 band. Example my amp has a really bad buzz sound right at 2khz if i didnt have the 10 band i could only pull out the 1.6khz and 3.2khz band which pulls out alot more then i need might destroy my tone.

Also people say all the time ohhh i spent 30 bucks on it who cares. To me 30 bucks is 30 bucks, i would rather have something that will last forever then something that might break on me when i need it most. And also the issue of replacing it and finally breaking down and buying the good one after you wasted 30 bucks. Now that mxr just jumped up to 139.99 instead of 119.99.

But to each there own, we have all been there and with time we all figure it out.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
And some people say a eq in general is unecessary

I purchased the 10 band because i didnt want to have to worry about buying another one later on and there's certain freq's you cant pull out with a 6 band. Example my amp has a really bad buzz sound right at 2khz if i didnt have the 10 band i could only pull out the 1.6khz and 3.2khz band which pulls out alot more then i need might destroy my tone.

Also people say all the time ohhh i spent 30 bucks on it who cares. To me 30 bucks is 30 bucks, i would rather have something that will last forever then something that might break on me when i need it most. And also the issue of replacing it and finally breaking down and buying the good one after you wasted 30 bucks. Now that mxr just jumped up to 139.99 instead of 119.99.

But to each there own, we have all been there and with time we all figure it out.

I understand what you're saying man, and I might eventually buy the 10 band MXR one. However, right now, the Fish and Chips is about the best I can do for now, and it's not like anyone can really say they've heard anything bad about it. Other than it being plastic of course, but that should be fine. I don't literally stomp on my stompboxes, so it should last me.
Try the Fish 'n Chips to see if an EQ is even necessary for you. A Bad Monkey might also be unneeded, and there are better noise suppression options than the NS-2 (such as shielding your guitar and wax potting your pickups).
Ok, if ur going to buy a 5150, u shud kno right off the bat that they all have tons of hum. it might be because of the fact that i have the presence on 10 on the 3rd channel of my evh 5150 III, but its pretty bad. Plus, if the gain is over 6 1/2, ur jus gonna get a hiss, even when the guitar volume is on 0. so the boss suppresor is definatly going to help with feedback and whatnot. but if anybody can help me out, what is the most effective suppresor?
go for a Mesa DC-5...covers those style and much more, and the combo version costs about the same as the 5150/6505; much better cleans, smoother distortion. I used to love the 6505+ before i played a DC series, then I completely changed my mind; never looked back. If it helps, Jim Root used to use a DC head before he switched to Rivera for Slipknot. The amp, plus a noise suppressor (maybe a wah) will be a pretty spiffy giggin rig. If you don't use cleans, you don't even need an OD pedal for solos (if you play solos) cuz you could use the rhythm channel with the gain pulled for some pretty tasty rhythms, and the lead for soloing.
yeah, for an amp like that, i really think the OD pedal is unnecessary. and dont get the NS-2, that thing killed my tone when i played with it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
i have a 5150 combo.
i love it, but you're definitely going to want to get a Decimator.
i cant wait until i can afford one.
im also probably going to get an mxr 6 or 10 band eq and a bbe sonic stomp.
then when the time comes, im putting a vader 2x12 under it and replacing the sheffield speakers.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
+1 on the Decimator. Absolutely fantastic pedal. Blows the NS-2 out of the water. The Bad Monkey is also a fantastic pedal, but I wouldn't recommend it to you. There's no need for boosting the gain any more than what the 5150 can do by itself, and there's no point in boosting the clean channel, as the clean channel on a 5150 is virtually useless.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Also people say all the time ohhh i spent 30 bucks on it who cares. To me 30 bucks is 30 bucks, i would rather have something that will last forever then something that might break on me when i need it most. And also the issue of replacing it and finally breaking down and buying the good one after you wasted 30 bucks.

Just to prove his point with a life example:
i bought a nice pair of sandals fir 60 two and a half years ago cuz i was tired of spending 15 to 20 buck every three to four months. I saved $90+ so tell me again why he should by a piece of ****
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
If you're going to use the OD to tighten up the gain a bit, which the 5150 actually benefits a lot from, I'd suggest buying something like an OD-808 or something. I like the bad monkey, but my experiences using it to tighten up my sound wasn't as good as my OD-808 can do. However, with the EQ, you might not even need the OD honestly, you can essentially do the same thing with it and get a very similar tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Wow. Thought this thread died. I was a little shocked when I came on here and say a thread from me.

ANYWAYS...

So the basic idea of everyone's comments is to ditch the Bad Monkey, and swap out the NS-2 for the Decimator? Also, buying the Fish N' Chips from Spine, so that's set.

I also saw the suggestion of the Mesa. Searched for it, and found nothing. From what I hear though, Mesas are pretty badass. So I may even look in to that.

Any other suggestions?
I also saw the suggestion of the Mesa. Searched for it, and found nothing. From what I hear though, Mesas are pretty badass. So I may even look in to that.

Search Ebay. I believe there's a DC-10 combo (100 watts, switchable to 60) on ebay right now for like 850...i don't wanna post a link and get a warning from the mods or something like that, otherwise i'd just post it, but anyways they're about the same price (maybe like 50 - 100 bucks more) as the 5150/6505s on ebay, and are TONS more versatile. As I said, I used to love the 6505+; i could get some pretty nice sounds out of it, and was all intent on spending the 1800 for the half stack; i spent 1300 on my DC-5 head and mesa 2x12, it's certainly the more versatile amp, that can get just as brutal without needing anything to tighten it up, AND it can get loud as balls when you need it to, but still sound good at low volumes (i'm using it at 1 right now for practice, and it's sweet).
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Apr 26, 2008,