Well, my first time playing with someone who is worse then me at guitar. The people I usually jam with are good enough to play melodies over my riffs and chords, and they are good enough to play rhythm while I wank some scales.

I was wondering what I could do to make my friend feel more involved in the music rather then me telling him what to play and me playing over it. I've taught him some basic theory, scales, and modes but he couldn't pull a progression out of the air unless he thought about it for a while.

Any tips? I want this to be more of a jam session then a practice session. I've thought about just playing some covers but their not as fun.
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
Just teach him the 12 bar blues in like every key, for now.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
well you can teach him some simple songs like wild thing or a 3-chord rock song and hopefully he'll be able to start figuring out chord progressions and rhythms on his own after a bit. It might not be the most fun learning other artists' songs, but it'll help your friend with developing his own playing skills and style.
Quote by nebraskan
"You don't have AIDS do you?"
"no"
"good, because I don't want those again..."
Quote by kirkadolph
Just teach him the 12 bar blues in like every key, for now.

If hes a beginner this would be the best for him. 12 bar was the first thing i learned a very good intro into any kind of lead he might want to play
Can someone point me in the direction of "12 bar blues in every key"?

I thought I knew how to play it but I must only know 1 key! (I learned the one from the beginner lessons on guitar.about.com: http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa112100c.htm

Guess that's the A scale? (uses E A and D)
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack