How much can I steal from a song before it is considered plagarism.

For example I just saw an awesome song called "girls grow up faster than boys". Can I use that title and make a new song with the same title but completely different (as in I never actually listened to it).

TAKING IT A STEP FURTHER

say I am listening to a song that I really enjoy can I take chunks of the lyrics in the song and write a new song using those same lines but in different context (like take the hook from that song and make it my opening line)

Or say I do both

and in general at what point does borrowing become stealing?

I ask because single lyrics inspire entire songs for me not because I am some plagaristic ass-hat.
Last edited by mr. cool at Apr 16, 2008,
I'd say
For example I just saw an awesome song called "girls grow up faster than boys". Can I use that title and make a new song with the same title but completely different (as in I never actually listened to it).

Thats ok
but taking that a step further is perhaps to far.
But i suppose you have to consider that music is copied everyday so i suppose its up to the judgement of youre listeners
We wouldnt be where we are if music didnt take from other music
I'd say, if you take like one line from a song, it is all good. If you take a line and a title, or more than one line, you should really throw out mad props to whoever you just rippedoff. It is kind of like citing sources in a paper. As long as you don't take credit for anything you didn't come up with, it's all good
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
yeah id say using the same title is perfectly acceptable, but if you use the title and take lyrics from the original song, you might be crossing the line.
try taking bits of lyrics from another song

i guess it depends on your definition of stealing...
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine