Hello everyone
I have noticed of, that some songs I play, are not using palm mutes to stop the sound on played open strings and chords..
Well, allright, yet when i play, things just sound like of a jumbled mess.
Do noise gates fix these problems by setting a level when they cut out, or is this a different type of equipment or technique I have not found?
Thank you for any help.
J Rocker
i'm not quite sure what ur saying. could u or someone else reword it a little differently?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i'm not quite sure what ur saying. could u or someone else reword it a little differently?

When I am playing, I find that my sound gets very jumbled together basically.
All the tabs I use do not show palm mutes to keep the sound maybe a little cleaner or such.
Basically, I want to know if a noise gate would help with this, like, does it limit the amount of time or jumbling of my playing, or is it something else?
Hope that is reworded a little better...
J Rocker
To my knowledge a noise gate cuts off excess noise from an amp or other pedals in your chain. But if you play a chord and let it ring a noise gate won't just cut it off after say, a second or so. So to reduce this excess noise just play slower and learn to use the side of your palm to block unwanted noises and use your left hand fretting fingers to lightly block a previously played string and/or note. It all comes down to technique.
The above poster is correct. No piece of equipment will fix the problem for you really. It's about technique and controlling the noise that you're making.

However it's worth mentioning that this could also be partly caused by playing with too much gain, or with a muddy sound. So turn down your gain, and try boosting the treble a little or cutting down on your bass/mids.

Edit: Compressors are generally bad, especially when you use one to fix a technique related issue. They will only mask bad playing and cause poor technique to continue to develop.
Quote by icronic
The above poster is correct. No piece of equipment will fix the problem for you really. It's about technique and controlling the noise that you're making.

However it's worth mentioning that this could also be partly caused by playing with too much gain, or with a muddy sound. So turn down your gain, and try boosting the treble a little or cutting down on your bass/mids.

Edit: Compressors are generally bad, especially when you use one to fix a technique related issue. They will only mask bad playing and cause poor technique to continue to develop.

I agree completely but if he wants a pedal to mask what he is talking about then the compressor is the best option..
Well, I suppose that even though usually my tabs show when to palm mute, I suppose I will just have to learn how to manually learn to silence these strings by the old fashioned practice..
Now on to find how to properly mute things >.=.<
J Rocker
Quote by SakuraInjektion
Well, I suppose that even though usually my tabs show when to palm mute, I suppose I will just have to learn how to manually learn to silence these strings by the old fashioned practice..
Now on to find how to properly mute things >.=.<

Keep in mind tabs aren't always entirely accurate, and often the writers of said tabs will leave out mutes and things like that on occasion.

Also tabs don't show any other form of muting other than palm muting, which is muting the note as you play it. You can also use your palm to mute the note after it's been played, or even using your fretting hand to do the same thing.

What song are you actually trying to play? It would be easier to give you a good idea of what you should be doing if I knew what you were actually trying to play.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I agree completely but if he wants a pedal to mask what he is talking about then the compressor is the best option..

NO! Never tell someone to buy something to mask their bad playing!

You should always tell people to fix their technique before they go spending money one something for a few reasons:

1 - This doesn't actually fix the disease, it just treats the symptom; their playing may actually get worse because of it.

2 - It may not actually fix the problem anyway, it may mask it a bit but chances are that the problem will still be audible and therefore money will have been wasted.

3 - The might not always have the piece of equipment with them when they play; therefore if they go somewhere to play without this piece of equipment they will end up sounding and looking like they can't play because they've never taken the time to learn to play properly.

I rest my case.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's all in your hands and your technique dude. You probably have your gain set too high on your amp too.
Quote by icronic
Keep in mind tabs aren't always entirely accurate, and often the writers of said tabs will leave out mutes and things like that on occasion.

Also tabs don't show any other form of muting other than palm muting, which is muting the note as you play it. You can also use your palm to mute the note after it's been played, or even using your fretting hand to do the same thing.

What song are you actually trying to play? It would be easier to give you a good idea of what you should be doing if I knew what you were actually trying to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHbHxSEtVQ

that one
The rest of the song sounds pretty good, and yes, I understand everyone that I am not trying to skip learning technique by buying something fancy, I was just wondering was all.
Also, yes, hat is a very difficult song for beginner guitarists, but I take it slow, and I have fun with it.
J Rocker
Quote by nate23
It's all in your hands and your technique dude. You probably have your gain set too high on your amp too.

My amp is of way crappy, the only options on it of is a volume knob, an overdrive which sounds of horrible, and a tone knob that does NOTHING to the sound.
J Rocker