To be honest....

That was cool. I wish I could solo

How did you come up with that solo exactly?
sure man that a good solo, very melodic, u had a good structure where u were like theme a, then run down , theme b then run down etc etc

only downside i saw was the ur pinky is motionless alot of it, which can to be a bad thing in the future u need to get use to using your pinky as it is classified as a finger as well

overall its a good solo very nicely played and nicely donw
it wasn't bad had some good riffs in there

1 bit of advice, sometimes the notes didn't quite mesh with the chords as well as they could have, just keep aware of the chords when selecting notes

oh and hello to a fellow lefty
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Very nice.

Sound quality is top notch too, something not many youtube videos can boast about.
Thanks guys. I was completely expecting the opposite response from what I'm seeing here.

I started out with that beginning part and it kinda just built from there. And my pinky ... yeah .. that thing is useless to me right now. I use it with my riff playing, but haven't figured out how to use it when 'soloing'.

As per recording it: Fender > Pandora PX4 > computer (Cubase)
Honestly: not bad at all. Especially if you consider yourself novice. I am impressed.
Is this composed or improvised?

If you want some constructive critic, here are a few points:

A couple of notes you play come a bit too early. Only a fraction of a second, but it gives an impression that you are not leading but being lead by your computer recording. A lead guitarist leads the band during his solo. It has to be spot on.

When you push a string with your right hand to raise the pitch, try to take it the whole way to the next note of half note. Now it's a bit out of tune. It's a great effect but with the correct pitch it will be even better.

The part around seconds 52-53 is not in the right key. It's hardly noticable though.

The melody gets a bit repetitive between 1:00 minute and the end. Personally I would take it up to the next octave at 1:11 or even scale up between the two repetitions. The thing is, a solo in a three and a half minute song cannot be too long and therefore it needs to be as interesting as possible. You don't have the luxury to be repetitive.

Now, it looks like I'm slashing you here, but don't take me wrong: you are very good. You asked for our opinions, and I'm giving you mine.

I'd love to hear more. Best of luck.
Quote by Withakay
Honestly: not bad at all. Especially if you consider yourself novice. I am impressed.
Is this composed or improvised?

If you want some constructive critic, here are a few points:

A couple of notes you play come a bit too early. Only a fraction of a second, but it gives an impression that you are not leading but being lead by your computer recording. A lead guitarist leads the band during his solo. It has to be spot on.

When you push a string with your right hand to raise the pitch, try to take it the whole way to the next note of half note. Now it's a bit out of tune. It's a great effect but with the correct pitch it will be even better.

The part around seconds 52-53 is not in the right key. It's hardly noticable though.

The melody gets a bit repetitive between 1:00 minute and the end. Personally I would take it up to the next octave at 1:11 or even scale up between the two repetitions. The thing is, a solo in a three and a half minute song cannot be too long and therefore it needs to be as interesting as possible. You don't have the luxury to be repetitive.

Now, it looks like I'm slashing you here, but don't take me wrong: you are very good. You asked for our opinions, and I'm giving you mine.

I'd love to hear more. Best of luck.

Dude, thanks for the constructive crit. It's much appreciated.

As per the solo, up until 00:40 into it, it was composed ... after that, improvised (per-se*) and then I threw in that 'riff' at the end because I didn't know what to do afterwards ... it worked out decently.

*(I had a slight idea of what I wanted to do, but didn't have anything actually worked out)

Mainly, I just did this to see if I was capable of soloing seeing as I never try to. I usually play more lead-style riffs, but am basically a rhythm guitarist. I have one solo from a while ago that was decent, but nothing worth posting.

Here's a song that probably best showcases what I'm talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1HP1AxnOo
Last edited by g°®† at Apr 16, 2008,
dude that was pretty damn good, you should post more solos,

kud
Last edited by kud666 at Apr 17, 2008,
nice solo! couple a things were a bit off, but it worked pretty well.
for a composed solo, several parts didnt really follow the rhythm of the track as well as they should. there were were a few parts were all the notes following each other had no real rhythmic variation, try switching it up between 16th(4 per beat) 8ths(2) and triplets (three per beat) to get a more interesting sound.
for the most parts, you note choice was spot on, very rockish. do some work on the bends, and loosen up the vibratos a bit, make sure it is all still in key.

the fast part at 50 seconds, was pretty cool, but a little sloppy, cool stuff though.
as the guy above mentioned try doing some octave stuff with the final melodies.
good job man, pretty sweet for a self professed "noob"

anyways, want to crit my solo video? same sort of thing, more metallish and improv.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830064
thanks!
Last edited by diablo_man at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by diablo_man
nice solo! couple a things were a bit off, but it worked pretty well.
for a composed solo, several parts didnt really follow the rhythm of the track as well as they should. there were were a few parts were all the notes following each other had no real rhythmic variation, try switching it up between 16th(4 per beat) 8ths(2) and triplets (three per beat) to get a more interesting sound.
for the most parts, you note choice was spot on, very rockish. do some work on the bends, and loosen up the vibratos a bit, make sure it is all still in key.

the fast part at 50 seconds, was pretty cool, but a little sloppy, cool stuff though.
as the guy above mentioned try doing some octave stuff with the final melodies.
good job man, pretty sweet for a self professed "noob"

anyways, want to crit my solo video? same sort of thing, more metallish and improv.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830064
thanks!

Thanks alot bro.

I commented on yours on youtube.
Not too bad. Very melodic and kinda classic rock feeling.

Maybe a little to repetitive for my taste, but it depending on the song it was in, it could work out well. Some of the notes sounded a little off, but other than that, pretty technically sound.

If this melodic style of soloing is your style, I suggest you learn some arpeggios and also work on a few faster licks to add some flavor to your playing.

Check out my thread please.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873106

Good work
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
Not too bad. Very melodic and kinda classic rock feeling.

Maybe a little to repetitive for my taste, but it depending on the song it was in, it could work out well. Some of the notes sounded a little off, but other than that, pretty technically sound.

If this melodic style of soloing is your style, I suggest you learn some arpeggios and also work on a few faster licks to add some flavor to your playing.

Check out my thread please.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873106

Good work

Have any recommendations for tabs that I should study?