Besides the reason of kids or dogs of course...

I got a stand for the first time ever (can't believe it took me so long) and it's great just having it by my bed to pick up spontaneously without the PITA of having to get out of bed and grab the bulky guitar case, open it up and bring it back to bed. Sorry...too much information...but I like to play in bed, when I wake up or before going to sleep (also because twin toddlers aren't underfoot at night and when they're asleep I'm usually too tired to be up and moving around the house - I'm exhausted)!

I love the smell of my fairly new guitar and I wonder if it will stay smelling so good if I keep it in a case. I also wonder what the consequences are of dust or temperature changes when kept exposed like that indefinitely. No biggie? My case has one of those hygrometers in it although it's kind of a pain cause it's the kind you have to unzipper all around.
your acoustic, especially should have a humidifier, or if you have a humidifier for your room you should be alright to go. if you let your guitar get too dry, it can warp the neck. lots of these you just leave in your case, but if you find one that you put between the strings when your not playing i see no problem leaving it on a stand
Cool people wear earplugs to concerts
Obviously, a guitar will be protected better from outside variants if in a controlled environment, a good one being a case. If your worries are dust or temperature, playing every day and giving it a pre or post practice wipe down would fix the dust, and any relatively controlled environment (mid 70s Fahrenheit) would be fine. Pets and kids worries? Just let them know that your guitars are off limits. If they mess with it, discipline them. It doesn't have to be harsh, it just has to be consistent. I've had similar issues. I've told my toddler brother not to eff with my guitars or basses, and he doesn't anymore.
Personally, I leave mine on the stands because I play every day and write or record for about 4 hours, and I maintain my instruments well so that if I don't use a particular instrument for a day or two, I wipe it down or put it up, depending on what I have planned. I hope that helps.
"Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
- Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode IV

"The Five Senses Blind the Eye"
- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Thanks guys - sounds reasonable (even coming from a guy in a van down by the river! ;-)

Oh and - I just looked over at it and it looks pretty cool standing there, too! And well you know, it's all about how COOL it looks! (just kidding)

I live in the Northwest where the air's perhaps a little humid so that should help in general.
Quote by Theresse
Thanks guys - sounds reasonable (even coming from a guy in a van down by the river! ;-)

Oh and - I just looked over at it and it looks pretty cool standing there, too! And well you know, it's all about how COOL it looks! (just kidding)

I live in the Northwest where the air's perhaps a little humid so that should help in general.

I would check your assumption. The further north you are the drier the air is likely to be esp. in the winter.
the general rule is that you'll most likely only need a humidifier in the winter and not in the summer because the AC will be sufficient for your guitar. having said that... make sure you check the humidity just in case, hahaha.

EDIT: i leave my guitar on my stand all the time. its partially because i dont care TOO much about humidity. my house is pretty humid throughout the year.
Last edited by captivate at Apr 16, 2008,
Yeah you're right I guess it's only humid in the Spring/summer. My skin right now should be an indication that it's a little dry right now! I'm guessing I'll have it out for a few days and in for a few days most likely...