i just got assigned a solo in my jazz band and its in 3/4...ive been playing for almost 3 years and unfortunatly every solo ive ever learned is in 4/4 time

am i the only person whos run into this?
and does anyone have any tips or references to help
thanks
I'm Like an Altoid...small, white, and curiously strong
Unless you're trying to imply that you can't improvize and can only play solos you've memorized.

In which case, you're not a great jazz musician.
Quote by Tomaz24
Unless you're trying to imply that you can't improvize and can only play solos you've memorized.

In which case, you're not a great jazz musician.
No-one cant improvise. It's that they wont. Normally because they're perfectionist, you see improvising isn't about right or wrong notes, alot of people can't understand that.

Wait, OP, are you improvising?

Also, its pretty rare a guitarist will be given an improvising part. Guitars in jazz are pretty mistreated as an instrument. I've been told that guitar isn't as musical as sax or that you cant use guitars in jazz
That's excellent advice. You have the skill to make a solo, and if you can feel the beat in common time, you can feel it in triple. Just let yourself go, and you'll come up with something really beautiful.
But, solos in a triple meter... There's a nice one in Gravity by John Mayer, but that's in slow blues style, though it has some nice ideas. I can't think of any upbeat jazz style solos, but I hope that helps.
"Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
- Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode IV

"The Five Senses Blind the Eye"
- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Set a metronome to 3/4 and practice improvising over it. Work on adapting licks from your musical vocabulary to be phrased better in triple time, it's all about where the accents fall.
Treat the three beats of the 3/4 measure as three very slow triplets in 4/4.

You'll need to practice a fair amount to be any good. You don't need to write a solo, but you should get familiar with the chord changes and the time signature.
Quote by demonofthenight
No-one cant improvise. It's that they wont. Normally because they're perfectionist, you see improvising isn't about right or wrong notes, alot of people can't understand that.

Wait, OP, are you improvising?

Also, its pretty rare a guitarist will be given an improvising part. Guitars in jazz are pretty mistreated as an instrument. I've been told that guitar isn't as musical as sax or that you cant use guitars in jazz

yea its completely improvised
i think you hit the nail on the head about the perfectionist thing, as if im never fully satisfied with what comes out

yea ive had about 2 solos out of 7 songs..i think thats good for a jazz band guitarist
thanks for the help people

edit: instead of saying "every solo ive learned," i shoulda said "every solo ive done"
I'm Like an Altoid...small, white, and curiously strong
Last edited by bruce5million at Apr 17, 2008,