This thread is for research for my final year uni project so as much help as possible would be appreciated.

For my project I'm thinking of designing something for the bedroom guitarist.
I'm open to all sorts of ideas and tell me about problems you have, what annoys you, what you think would help your playing or is just cool, anything will help.

Do you like the big black amp in the corner fo your room? Or do you want something different like a surround sound system, you wouldn't see the amp but you would definitely hear it!
Do you want a wireless system that doesn't need plugging into your guitar, it just works, you can jam from anywhere and hear it? Let me know what you think.

Your opinions and thoughts would really help so if there's anything you can think of let me know. Either reply on here on my profile, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/jack_daniels06/

Thanks,
Last edited by jack_daniels06 at Apr 16, 2008,
Well, since you've asked...

I want something that picks up a signal when you pick up and play your guitar, so all you do is grab it off it's stand, start strumming, and you hear it.

Also, I want sound to come from everywhere! No wires to be seen (so signal must be sent wireless from guitar), no huge amps (yeah they look cool on stage, but not in my house...). I want it to be ultra-modern, sort of. Pick it up my Strat, walk move around the house playing, with the sound following you as you go through the house.

Oh yeah, on top of it, it has to sound better than any head/cab/comboamp/what have you that you've EVER HEARD!!!
Squire Strat (Alpine White/White pickguard)
RG350EX (Black/Brushed metal? pickguard)
PRS SE EG (Tobacco burst/Black pickguard)

Fender Frontman 15G
Fender FM210R
Ok, here's something the guitar playing world needs, no... deserves:

When you play guitar in a bedroom, especially in an appartment building, far out the biggest problem is to keep the volume down. You can use head phones yeah, but that's not really the same. What I want is some kind of dampening field that absorbs sound waves over a certain volume, but only outside a certain area. A device that creates some invisible sphere in which you can play as loudly as you like but that contains the sound completely, without altering it inside of course.

Now if you could make this at a reasonable price in some kind of easy-to-carry encasing, like a pedal or something? That would really make me happy. And put a little blue LED on it when the power is on. I like blue LEDs.

Thanks in advance. :-)
Quote by Withakay

When you play guitar in a bedroom, especially in an appartment building, far out the biggest problem is to keep the volume down. You can use head phones yeah, but that's not really the same. What I want is some kind of dampening field that absorbs sound waves over a certain volume, but only outside a certain area. A device that creates some invisible sphere in which you can play as loudly as you like but that contains the sound completely, without altering it inside of course.

Now if you could make this at a reasonable price in some kind of easy-to-carry encasing, like a pedal or something? That would really make me happy. And put a little blue LED on it when the power is on. I like blue LEDs.

to withakay,
it may not be as high tech as your explaining but if your desperate, and into recycling i guess, you can cover your walls with egg cartons. sound stupid and unattractive i know but my uncle did it to his garage, and it worked quite well. so if your desperate i guess that will work
Quote by lozabee
to withakay,
it may not be as high tech as your explaining but if your desperate, and into recycling i guess, you can cover your walls with egg cartons.
Thx for the idea, lozabee, but I was just making fun here. I currently live in a villa. The closest neighbor lives 50 meters away. I can make all the noise I want. And I do!
a gun to blast the downstairs people that file noise complaints against my guitars but dont' have any problems cranking their gangster rap Bull**** til 2am.

hm.. i suppose that wasn't very helpful as it was ventful
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Definitely not being able to crank it up due to neighbours is a hugeeee annoyance.

Also, feed back from the amp due to things being in such close proximity is a large hassle.
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by nathanma93
Definitely not being able to crank it up due to neighbours is a hugeeee annoyance.

Also, feed back from the amp due to things being in such close proximity is a large hassle.

+1 except u can use an attenuator if u hav a tube amp but i cant afford one yet.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
The bedroom guitarist's biggest problem is volume, so:

An attenuator which doesn't suck tone, works with any output impedance, and has selectable levels of attenuation.

Or, some sort of physical dampening device which can be mounted in front of the speaker.
Quote by mr_hankey
The bedroom guitarist's biggest problem is volume, so:

An attenuator which doesn't suck tone, works with any output impedance, and has selectable levels of attenuation.

Or, some sort of physical dampening device which can be mounted in front of the speaker.

The only reason why an attenuator sucks tone is because our ears hear sounds differently at high volumes. Some attenuators try to compensate for this (THD Hot Plate springs to mind), but it will never be the same.
Try listening to a CD on low volumes and high volumes. It will sound better at high, even though the source is identical. Same with an amp.
Also the Weber MASS works for any output impendance, and can select the amount of attenutation.

As for the physical dampening, search for isolation cabinets.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Also, Attenuators make up for only two of the three things that make tube amps great at high volumes. They make up for pre-amp and power-amp saturation. What it doesn't make up for is the speaker being pushed. When the speaker is being pushed hard it adds a whole other layer to the sound, that is generally pleasing.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Sounds like two main things would help...

- get a good, small, 5-watt tube amp
- soundproof your rooms

great sound, and it will be contained. no advanced research and prototype needed
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
u cant make the sound come from all around u it will sound crap, small drivers + guitars dont work to well i think u need the big driver to get the desired sound, only way would be to get 5 decent smaller amps and set them up around ur room, but the setup would sitll b large. Wireless wouldnt work either because u would have to replace batteries etc, or have a powerpoint for each device.

What i would like is a set of lights to mount on the roof, that are easily mountable, and consist of strobe lights/other concert style lights that are controlled by the soundwaves of what im playing so i can turn the main lights off, and feel like im on a stage, and also a device that detected when i played a mad solo, and made the sound of the crowd cheering
RG's & Mesa's
I'd like to see a quality and somewhat affordable tube amp (with a built in attenuator) that is easy to incorporate into a bedroom setting without eating up extra space. Perhaps have it built into an end table, or have a small design that sits in a dresser drawer or under a bed. Pretty much something that either serves multiple purposes or doesn't take up any floor space.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
design a battery operated tube amp which is affordable.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
design a battery operated tube amp which is affordable.

Battery powered and affordable are oxymorons with tube gear. Lithium-ion cell batteries arn't far along enough.

Here's a crazy idea...for the sake of physical space, how thin can you make an amp? Say, a 5 watt tube combo amp, 1 12AX7 and 1 EL84, 1 12" speaker. The limiting factors will be the speaker thickness and trannies, but neodyum might come into play...
I'm thinking it would be difficult to push 250 volts B+ to the preamp tubes with batteries.
wireless, wireless wireless WIRELESS Its so annoying fumbling around with wires, wires to the amp, wires from the amp its all a big hassle espacially wen they get tangled
the biggest problem I have is with sustain at lower volumes, if you can't push your amp past 3 or 4 volume wise then sustain is just killed.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
Quote by ntchode
the biggest problem I have is with sustain at lower volumes, if you can't push your amp past 3 or 4 volume wise then sustain is just killed.

Nothing will ever fix that, except buying a better guitar
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
then I suggest for this guys project he purchase me a better guitar, then he will have done something constructive for the bedroom guitarist.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
/thread
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Wait.....I just had an idea!

Offer a 25" scale guitar with one humbucker (switchable to single coil) with a built in mini tube amp (similar to the ZVex Nano) and a small speaker. Have a plug for a standard 3 prong cord where the output jack would normally be.
Quote by Kendall
Wait.....I just had an idea!

Offer a 25" scale guitar with one humbucker (switchable to single coil) with a built in mini tube amp (similar to the ZVex Nano) and a small speaker. Have a plug for a standard 3 prong cord where the output jack would normally be.

Add a headphone out (for self-monitering) and seperate line out, and you have a very compact and gig-worthy piece of gear, if it's built well.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Add a headphone out (for self-monitering) and seperate line out, and you have a very compact and gig-worthy piece of gear, if it's built well.

We're awesome at this...you want to start a company?
Quote by Kendall
We're awesome at this...you want to start a company?

Are you asking for a job? Bring me some coffee, and we'll talk.
every Hi-Fi speaker has at least two speaker components, a woofer and a tweeter with a crossover that splits the input signal to the respective component. Sometimes they split it into three pieces for sub-woofer, woofer, and tweeter. This lets each piece focus on what it does best. If these speakers are able to re-create the sound from that classic guitar amp at a low volume, why can't they create the sound to begin with? also, the woofers are usually around 6.5" diameter.

Design a combo amp with a similar setup and see how it does at low volumes. Most combos are designed to either be cheap and portable (single small speaker) or loud (1x12", 2x12").
Quote by black_box
every Hi-Fi speaker has at least two speaker components, a woofer and a tweeter with a crossover that splits the input signal to the respective component. Sometimes they split it into three pieces for sub-woofer, woofer, and tweeter. This lets each piece focus on what it does best. If these speakers are able to re-create the sound from that classic guitar amp at a low volume, why can't they create the sound to begin with? also, the woofers are usually around 6.5" diameter.

Design a combo amp with a similar setup and see how it does at low volumes. Most combos are designed to either be cheap and portable (single small speaker) or loud (1x12", 2x12").

Interesting but I doubt it will work. Hifi speakers need to do this to cover the whole musical spectrum from guitar to bass over drums & vocals. A guitar amplifier should only focus on 1 instrument, the guitar. Adding a sub-woofer & tweeter does not make much sense because guitars produce sounds in the mid section.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Kendall
I'd like to see a quality and somewhat affordable tube amp (with a built in attenuator) that is easy to incorporate into a bedroom setting without eating up extra space. Perhaps have it built into an end table, or have a small design that sits in a dresser drawer or under a bed. Pretty much something that either serves multiple purposes or doesn't take up any floor space.

This, that is capable of high gain. I want to shred my own face off... not the neighbors.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
how about u create a small tube amp head, which u fix it onto a wall and it connects up with speakers or you can connects it up with amps around the room and to control where the sound goes u use magnets from the speakers then fix some magnetic plates on your guitar strap or just your guitar to just channel the sound towards you and the guitar. Its just an idea i have no idea if it would work thou as the pickups work with magnets but still.
HUGE Plasmas on all walls showing videos of crowds. that and some strobes and lights and you're all stage set
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I think we are doing Jackdaniels final paper for a music class...

Sound deafening paint for the walls and ceiling of said bedroom. Paint that consists of nearly microscopic led lights that react to sound. Think - the aliens skin from "The Abyss". Form and function for the win.

Plus your mom won't hear "strange noises" coming from your room, ever... think that through.. ever... Right, you know it and I know it, that would be endlessly helpful.
Quote by Ventor
Interesting but I doubt it will work. Hifi speakers need to do this to cover the whole musical spectrum from guitar to bass over drums & vocals. A guitar amplifier should only focus on 1 instrument, the guitar. Adding a sub-woofer & tweeter does not make much sense because guitars produce sounds in the mid section.

the graph here shows pretty solid woofer and mid-range for the guitar, and i think it would easily extend into tweeter if it included harmonics.
http://www.psbspeakers.com/audio-topics/The-Frequencies-of-Music

similar mention here:
http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm
Last edited by black_box at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by Withakay

this.