I'm looking for an upgrade to (beginner standard( Ibanez GSR180, but it's proven hard to choose. Does anyone have an opinion on:

The BC Rich Mockingbird (beautiful Red): http://www.thomann.de/nl/bc_rich_mockingbird_bass_4_classic_tr.htm

Warwick Standard Corvette (NOT a Rockbass!)
http://www.thomann.de/nl/warwick_corvette_std_4_nt_bh.htm

Or any other great suggestions. I really don't know what to look for. Price range is about e450-e650 or $600-$900.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Well, we say this every day, but it really depends on the individual instrument - which means you get to go out there and explore the world of bass! That's really the only way to make this decision. Personally, in that price range I would recommend the Spector Legend Custom; but the point is, try some basses.
On the Warwick front, I would suggest considering spending a bit more for either an active preamp (my preference), or if you like the tone of active pickups, completely active electronics.

Also consider if you want to spend a bit more and go for a Bubinga bodied bass. Ash gives a more trebley growl, while bubinga has the growl in the low mids, and an incredibly heavy low end, with plently of clarity (guess which one I like more ).

And as said above, make sure you try out as many basses as you possibly can. Look for the perfect tone and feel. You have quite a decent budget, so it isn't unreasonable that you can spend time searching for a perfect bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Apr 16, 2008,
As for the Spectors, they sure look nice. Just not that special. :p

And I'm not sure if I really want an incredibly heavy low end, I'm not gonna use it in any drop tunings or whatever. Let me play punk/classic metal/ska even. ^^ Active electronics are a good point indeed.

For the Humingbird, I do like the feel of it as well (tried it out today) but I like the feel of most good basses (except for incredibly wide necks). It's just that I want to know what people know first - for instance if the Humingbird is known to have bad electronics or if the Warwicks don't have actives while the little bit more expensive ones do, stuff like that. So thanks ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
Warwicks don't have actives while the little bit more expensive ones do, stuff like that. So thanks ^^

Actually, there are probably about 18 different basses that would fall under the catagory of Warwick Corvette Standard when you count in the diffent electronics, woods and numbers of strings that the model can take. I was just making sure you were aware of those variations which can completely change the character of the bass.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well... it is a BC rich. and i tend to hate them. although it does look good. headstock, no. 2x Precision pickups.. hmm could be good. its still a bc rich though.

warwicks... it has a dilly, and i dont like the feel of warwicks at all.

but dude dont listen to me. get whatever you want.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by elliott FTW
well... it is a BC rich. and i tend to hate them. although it does look good. headstock, no. 2x Precision pickups.. hmm could be good. its still a bc rich though.

warwicks... it has a dilly, and i dont like the feel of warwicks at all.

but dude dont listen to me. get whatever you want.

The higher end B.C. Rich's are actually incredibly well made. Especially as the Mockingbirds lack some of the usual over the top metal0rz aspect of B.C. Rich's, it is a definately a bass to consider.

And on the shape of the Warwick, someone's insecure

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
the vintage mockingbird is easily the best bang for your buck you can get with bc rich; it is their premier bass. I must say that it has a certain feel to it, it has a chunky neck and the pickups were not my style.

BOTH basses are extreme cases of why you should try before you buy, they feel so unique that you may love or hate it, but don't take a chance, make a correctly informed decision.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by bornfidelity
As for the Spectors, they sure look nice. Just not that special. :p

And I'm not sure if I really want an incredibly heavy low end, I'm not gonna use it in any drop tunings or whatever. Let me play punk/classic metal/ska even. ^^ Active electronics are a good point indeed.

For the Humingbird, I do like the feel of it as well (tried it out today) but I like the feel of most good basses (except for incredibly wide necks). It's just that I want to know what people know first - for instance if the Humingbird is known to have bad electronics or if the Warwicks don't have actives while the little bit more expensive ones do, stuff like that. So thanks ^^

Hummingbird?

How are the Spectors any less "special" (whatever that means) than the Warwick or BC Rich? Spectors are definitely on par if not better than Warwick.

And you can have heavy low end without drop tuning, BTW.

I would also recommend you to look at the G&L Tribute basses. They're only around $600, but they're probably the most versatile bass I've ever played - and the electronics are exactly the same as on the G&L American basses which are twice the price.
Oh right, mockingbird :p

kranoscorp, thanks, that's what it comes down to I guess in this case.

charlatan, some of the G&L tribute basses *do* look very interesting (especially the rosewood ones ^^) and after some asking aroud they certainly are supposed to be good, but I live in Holland and not many stores carry them. I was hoping thomann would, but they don't. I guess I'll have to look around to find some G&Ls somewhere.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by gm jack
The higher end B.C. Rich's are actually incredibly well made. Especially as the Mockingbirds lack some of the usual over the top metal0rz aspect of B.C. Rich's, it is a definately a bass to consider.

And on the shape of the Warwick, someone's insecure

true.. i do like the mockingbirds a little bit. and the dagger (electric) looks epic.

shup. why would anyone buy a guitar knowing it ahs something that looks like a dildo on it...
ive played a corvette pro-line. and its just like... hmm, the strings sound metallic coz of the wood. and i dont like it. it feels uncomfortable, and the headstock is weird, and that horn... good god. no...
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by kranoscorp
the vintage mockingbird is easily the best bang for your buck you can get with bc rich; it is their premier bass. I must say that it has a certain feel to it, it has a chunky neck and the pickups were not my style.

BOTH basses are extreme cases of why you should try before you buy, they feel so unique that you may love or hate it, but don't take a chance, make a correctly informed decision.

I dunno.. the bc rich desert eagle comes pretty close in my opinion.

And OP, before buying whichever you choose you definately have to try them out first. Some basses are an aquired taste and others just feel great wherever.
Quote by elliott FTW
true.. i do like the mockingbirds a little bit. and the dagger (electric) looks epic.

shup. why would anyone buy a guitar knowing it ahs something that looks like a dildo on it...
ive played a corvette pro-line. and its just like... hmm, the strings sound metallic coz of the wood. and i dont like it. it feels uncomfortable, and the headstock is weird, and that horn... good god. no...

You realise I have a custon shop Corvette?

The old prolines have an incredibly bright tone from the all maple body. However, the metallic sound probably came from fresh steel strings that the basses come with. If you ever try one of the standard corvettes with a bubinga body, you get a low end that eats babies. .

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
You realise I have a custon shop Corvette?

The old prolines have an incredibly bright tone from the all maple body. However, the metallic sound probably came from fresh steel strings that the basses come with. If you ever try one of the standard corvettes with a bubinga body, you get a low end that eats babies. .

that would be it yes..
i have tried one of the standards w/ bubinga. it was alright. wasnt plugged on though. low end did feel pretty epic.

damn you and warwickyness.
ribbons of euphoria
I'm going to Thomann next week I think. Trying out ****loads of basses. Such as the Warwicks and Mockingbird ^^
Expect to see a whole lotta basses added to this thread after that because I tend to like many :p

Any special basses I should keep an eye out for?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Apr 17, 2008,
Try out some Gibsons, they are another brand that, after trying, you either love them or hate em.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Gibson makes basses under $1200??
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by kranoscorp
Yes, there are the $800 vintage SGs.
EDIT: They are actually $950, still reccomended, though.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-SG-Faded-Limited-Edition-Bass-Guitar-513285-i1177835.gc

Ok, can you say mud? You have a humbucker right at the neck, extensive use of mahogany (all but the fretboard, which is another warm wood, rosewood) and short scale to the boot. I honestly cannot see any clarity at all coming from that bass.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
those have unique feels to them, but if you want to try out more basses that are like those you suggested, try Spectors out

if i had to pick from those two though, it would be the mockingbird because you just gotta love the precision pickups and it looks much nicer meaning people will remember you live better
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
if i had to pick from those two though, it would be the mockingbird because you just gotta love the precision pickups and it looks much nicer meaning people will remember you live better

What advantage do split coil pickups have over single coil pickups? Neither pickup has a massive tradmark sound, so surely it is nearly impossible to guage the tone from the pickup choice. Single coils can give the smooth, clear tone of a jazz bass to the crushing growl of a bubinga Warwick. Tone depends far more on the bass as a whole than the pickups you put in it. However, some pickups (coughhumbuckerscough) do add a certain element to the tone taht will be present no matter what bass you place them in, although the tone can still vary massively.

And looks are subjective. I prefer the look of the Warwick over the Mockingbird (though both are nice basses). However, if you are relying on image to get remembered, you need to spend a lot more time getting the music sorted before y ou go on stage.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm sorry gm_jack, but the Warwick headstocks don't appeal to me now I've seen them in real life. I'm sortof lingering between several basses now (although I still haven't had a chance to try the G&L ones);

IBANEZ SRX750-NTF
http://www.thomann.de/nl/ibanez_srx750_ntf.htm
- the most beautiful one, but the most expensive one.

ESP LTD B-4E NG
http://www.thomann.de/nl/esp_ltd_b_4e_ng.htm
- Another beauty, but I don't dig the inlays being at the side.

BC RICH MOCKINGBIRD BASS 4 CLASSIC TR
http://www.thomann.de/nl/bc_rich_mo..._classic_tr.htm
- Just such a pretty bass!

FENDER AERODYNE CLASSIC P-BASS RW BT
http://www.thomann.de/nl/fender_aer...pbass_rw_bt.htm
- Not my first choice by looks, but good enough if it plays absolutely great.

IBANEZ AGB200-TBR SEMI ACOUSTIC
http://www.thomann.de/nl/ibanez_agb200tbr.htm
- This one makes me like semi-acoustics all of a sudden.

I'll go out to thomann and try them all in a few days; anything else I should look out for, such as the 'sturdy' neck on the Mockingbird?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I hat to say it, but if a headstock puts you off a bass, you really need to recinsider your priorities when chosing a bass. Warwicks have a distinctive tone and feel. You should at least give them a try, because it may turn out to be the perfect bass for you (as it was for me).

In fact, looking at your last post, I think I justly say you seem to be judging on looks at the moment.

I will go to my old example of Les Claypool with his Carl Thomson basses. Les finds that they are the best basses he has ever tried when it comes to tone and playability. He also thinks they are ugly as sin. While it is of course a good thing if you like the appearance of your bass, it is far more important to pick one of how it plays and feels.

/fanboyism.

I'm just a bit annoyed that you have discredited a highly respectable manufacturer before you have even tried one based purely on the appearance of the headstock. If you discredited one of the more wacky BC Rich designs on looks, I might feel you have a point. However, discrediting them because of a headstock seems a little stupid.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Apr 18, 2008,
Haha well, that's not really it, you see I need it for live performing as well, so I'm trying to find a perfect balance between looks, feel and sound. I haven't played the Mockingbird, that much is true, but I did play a Warwick some time ago and it didn't feel that special to me. It did sound great though, so if I ever need an extra bass just for use in the studio I'm definitely considering one.
I am, however, not bas(s)ing my choices on looks alone; several basses that I think look better than the ones above didn't make it to the list because I have played them and didn't like their feel. In the same way, basses that play great but don't look great (or at least acceptable) don't make it to the list either.

What's the use of paying 800e for a bass you think 'aww that thing is ugly' everytime you take it out of its case?

I can see your point though But I guess I'm just looking for the whole package. It is, after all, not the smallest of investments.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73