This thread is for research for my final year uni project so as much help as possible would be appreciated.

For my project I'm thinking of designing something for the bedroom guitarist.
I'm open to all sorts of ideas and tell me about problems you have, what annoys you, what you think would help your playing or is just cool, anything will help.

Do you like the big black amp in the corner fo your room? Or do you want something different like a surround sound system, you wouldn't see the amp but you would definitely hear it!
Do you want a wireless system that doesn't need plugging into your guitar, it just works, you can jam from anywhere and hear it? Let me know what you think.

Your opinions and thoughts would really help so if there's anything you can think of let me know. Either reply on here on my profile, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/jack_daniels06/

Thanks,
a super cool thing would just be a little amplifier that comes with built in wireless headphones, for "free" bedroom jamming. sounds like a really fun project.. i know my suggestion wasn't very creative, but have fun with it and good luck
Quote by trashbeast
a super cool thing would just be a little amplifier that comes with built in wireless headphones, for "free" bedroom jamming. sounds like a really fun project.. i know my suggestion wasn't very creative, but have fun with it and good luck

+1
Especially for people living in dorm rooms having headphones for your guitar can be really useful. Wireless headphones for the win.
what about an amp that could record what you were playing then respond to what you were doing while playing it back? eg, you could record something then while playing it back you could change the eq or put distortion on to see what sounds the best.
Quote by LoneWanderer13
Especially for people living in dorm rooms having headphones for your guitar can be really useful. Wireless headphones for the win.

Wireless headphones exist.. And I'm sorry I have no ideas to contribute.
Quote by trashbeast

+1000
Quote by Nikon87
Okay, let me just clarify, I don't mean pedophilia or incest, lol.

Quote by webbtje
That's what they all say.

*picks up pitchfork*

Quote by dminishedthingy
Karl Sanders has to drop his guitar to z so he can play his diminished thingies

Proud owner of a LTD DV8-R
an amp with built in drum loops to jam along to

wait.. has that been done already? i dont know much about amps...
Quote by scott_vox
an amp with built in drum loops to jam along to

wait.. has that been done already? i dont know much about amps...

yep, the fender g-dec and probably others.

the amp with wireless headphones would be very good, but as you can probably do that anyway you maybe need another usp. maybe some kind of channle switching on the headphones.. eq.. gain.. could be a bit tricky to do though.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
A load box with a headphone out, so we can play our tube amps without annoying anyone:-). Or learn lots about the laws of sound physics (or acoustic engineering, whatever you wanna call it) and make an isolation box that sounds like a full room. A suggestion would be bouncing the sound angled wood before it hits the sound proofing material maybe? Also have a mini built in P.A as well as a line out so you can play through the mini P.A at home and plug straight in to good P.A at a gig.
Hm, something with a built in drum loop, octaver, and recorder >.>.

Probably have all been done before, but not at the same time.
good headphone out, most are really bad, i,m not at uni yet but here's an idea: an amp that can produce hot naked chicks ,ON THE SPOT!!!! or a guitar with a few built in effects and a speaker, but doesn't look too stupid like some traveler guitars, or an amp that can be used to record whatever you play and sen them to computer, that would be cool.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
A metronome that could play beeps in between clicks if you want it to. Like say you want to play triplets at 150 bpm. It would beep three times per click. This would be pretty good for people starting out I think, help them get timing down.

Though this has probably already been done.
Quote by trashbeast
Sorry about this guys, but thats actually really easy to make, T/S might not feel too challenged by it.

If T/S is interested (or if anyone else is interested), google "noisy cricket." It can be easily modified to take headphones, takes a 9 volt battery (or it can be modified to take a plug pack) and sounds eally awesome at low volumes. If your skilled, you could make it as small as a matchbox. Smallest I got mine was about as big as a cigarette box.
Quote by numinis
id like a tracking device for my plectrums

you mean something that tells you where all your picks are? Cos i'd love that too, i lose picks all the time just by dropping them and never finding them!
I totally would love a wireless system that is AFFORDABLE, to the average player.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
How about a device that takes guitar input and converts it into tab form onto a computer? The simplest way to do this would be to make a midi guitar interface, but what would be really cool is to make something that could recognize the frequencies of the notes coming from a normal guitar and then tab them out.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Make something to the extent of the Pod X3 Live, with usb recording, but make it where a new track starts recording automatically with the hit of a footswitch.

The wireless headphone stuff wasn't bad, but it's unnessecary. Make a wired one, kinda like the vox headphone amps, with multiple amp models and possible effects.

An ant farm guitar, or one you stand on would be nice too.
Quote by one vision
Also, a lock on my door.
+1

Nothing tics me off more than people listening to me play. It's even worse when they come barging in.
i want a huge fvcking desk...

-a small dug out on top where i can hold picks..

-a drawer thats got loads of stings and theyre all arranged by gauge..

-a drawer that holds all of my journals... and pencils and pens and such..

-a cable that runs through it so i can sit there and record whilst my amp is elsewhere in the room.

-built in speakers connected to my comp

-built in cassette/CD/turntable

- holding platform for my mixer/piano/synth
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by Early Cuyler
i want a huge fvcking desk...

-a small dug out on top where i can hold picks..

-a drawer thats got loads of stings and theyre all arranged by gauge..

-a drawer that holds all of my journals... and pencils and pens and such..

-a cable that runs through it so i can sit there and record whilst my amp is elsewhere in the room.

-built in speakers connected to my comp

-built in cassette/CD/turntable

- holding platform for my mixer/piano/synth

G O T O I K E A
a computer chair with only one arm, that doesn't break when you lean back. I'm on computer chair #3 at the moment.
Quote by farcry
a computer chair with only one arm, that doesn't break when you lean back. I'm on computer chair #3 at the moment.

I was thinking almost the exact same thing when I read that. A computer chair with arms that you can fold down so you have the option of whether they're there or not would be great.
Quote by 12345abcd3
what about an amp that could record what you were playing then respond to what you were doing while playing it back? eg, you could record something then while playing it back you could change the eq or put distortion on to see what sounds the best.

+1 that'd be sooo good, especially if it was affordable.
Quote by st.stephen
+1 that'd be sooo good, especially if it was affordable.

You could just use a loop pedal though.
I want a Joe Satriani to teach me stuff...but it's a little bit weird to say "I want Joe Satriani in my bedroom"

In an amplifier, I'd love recording. It's extremely annoying when I improv a great riff only to lose it because I forgot it.

Cables are also a pain in the ass sometimes, but the wireless setups I've used are pretty crappy. So better wireless setups?

Last thing, programmable track things to plug into the amp so you get a backing track to play over. Drum machine-esque thing + amplifier.
Or learn lots about the laws of sound physics (or acoustic engineering, whatever you wanna call it) and make an isolation box that sounds like a full room.

actually, i had made a little black 15X15X15" box that had a 1/4" jack input and a xlr (think thats right) output. it opened up in 2 parts on clamps (with weather strips insulating the seal) so you could stick a microphone in it (thus the mic jack).

basically you plug your amps speaker out into the box, and plug a mic cord from the box to the mixer. it gave a nice tone without bothering the neighbors. it was a bit dry i admit (just add a touch of verb to fix that) but it ran out into my computer and sounded fine.
Last edited by Sabaren at Apr 18, 2008,
how about guitar picks that have paging devices.

i couldn't begin to count how many i've lost.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
i got inspired by the computer chair thing
how about a computer chair with a guitar input, tuner and express. pedal on one arm and on the other arm, DSP effects, EQ Band, volume etc etc????
surround sound with my guitars and basses adapting wirelessly would be awesome. also, it'd be nice to have master volume control on all of it with a remote control (vol., bass, mids, treb, input, output etc.)

also, it'd be really nice to have a crystal clear projector from your computer or something onto a wall or white screen displaying tabs, music, lyrics, etc.

plus have the wireless system mic'd out so you could record by the remote control...

just some simple ideas i thought of would be handy.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
i thought: "good chair" as soon as i saw the thread title.

a chair with easily and elegantly retractable armrests, good back support... but the back of the chair can't be too wide or high, as it will interfere with your elbows as you play... it would be handy to have it on wheels. of course...

the rest is just accessorizing... build in a tuner, a headphone / amp system, a music stand, whatever you want... just keep it so that the chair is totally comfortable and ergonomic to play guitar in.
Affordable recording, and maybe a youtube-ish website specifally for unsigned bands?
I don't know.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.