Hey guys,I've been thinking of getting a strat for quite sometime now. I just wanna ask if I can raise the tremolo bar on a strat? I know it won't be like an FR, but still would you be able to? Thanks heaps!
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
I think it'd destroy the bridge, but I don't have a strat right now so I can't test it.
Oh..Urghh..Maybe I should spend some extra money on a super vee then...
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD
Yeh you can, it wont **** up your bridge, but it'll **** up your tuning.
Originally posted by germ
all of you shut up, or i swear ill turn this car RIGHT AROUND!!!!!

*closed*

damn. i was never good at magic tricks.
I just got myself an American Strat for my 16th and its great man.. The 2 point system rocks, but why would you want to 'raise the tremolo bar'? It's pretty sweet how it is. I can't really talk though because I usually leave the bar out and either press the bridge for tension or pull on it to slacken the strings..
When I had super heavy strings, my bridge kind of pulled forward and acted like a FR. It was nice, but not for the guitar I'm sure.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Yes, if you weaken the spring pressure or use a heavier gauge string, the bridge lifts off a bit at the back. You can then raise the bar and bends note supwards, but it also means you can't quite completely drop the bar either.

Example:
Trem can normally go up 0 steps, go down 6 steps.
You increase the string gauge. Let's now say the bar can go up by 2 steps. It can now only go down by 4 steps.

It actually doesn't damage the guitar to bridge when it's done correctly, though it will always throw the intonation off a little bit too (and you'll never be able to re-intonate it perfectly either). You just have to decide which is more important to you, being able to raise the bridge a bit, or being able to fully drop the bar down.
Alright, thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all your opinions!! Maybe I'll just put some money down for the new Super Vee... would solve all my problems and should be well worth the money.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
POD X3 Live..xD
I have a strat with a 2 point trem. I can raise it and lower it, and the tuning only messes up if you abuse it.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
With a standard 2pt trem set-up you can probably raise about a semitone on the G string before it hits the guitar body. I've done what bokuho said with my Pacifica - changes the action slightly also - I found the thing stayed in tune much better(?). I believe Jeff Beck does something similar with his strats.

And before someone else says it - look at amps.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet