hello new member, long time reader. love the site

anyways i recently picked up a old squire telecaster custom(2 humbuckers 2 vol 2 tone knobs, almost identical layout to an SG with toggle switch near top pf guitar) to work on as a project guitar. the wiring is ruined, it was my roommates and he sold me it cheap. whoever had this before him replaced the pickups and wasnt good at soldering, the pots are covered in it and basically ive stripped the guitar down at this point. ive got dimarzio dp196 and dp 197 pickups im planning on using in there for now, then work from there before i spend too much money. the pickups work, they were in another guitar before being pulled for this project

now my questions...

im buying all new pots caps and wiring for it, should i go with 500k or somehting else for these pickups? and are the caps standard for guitars(i.e if i walk into a music store and ask for 2 guitar capacitors they wont ask me what resistance or whatever measurment they are in)

is there an advantage to paying for the guitar wires(for pickup/switch wiring) from these online sites or will radioshack or home depot wires be the same(if theres a quality differece, then i'll pay for top product)

what kind of options do i have with my toggle switch? its the 3 way wired in a series right now... 4 way? 5 way? series/parrallel.. i have a fender standard tele as well(2 single coil) and ive been reading about the 4 way switch with the series/parrellel options for both pickups and im interested in doing that on that guitar as well(but thats for a different time). ive been reading a little about having only one of the pickups from each humbucker working at a time to get a single coil feel from it.

then the obvious... wiring it all together. the pickups have red white black green and bare wires coming out of each. i would like each vol to control the pickups individually so i can kill the neck or bridge and use it as a killswitch/turn guitar off when setting it down. im not a pro at wiring, but im decent and can follow directions and will take my time. basically i want to give myself the most options i can with this guitar for sound without compramising the bridge and neck alone positions. if things are exponentially harder for the 5 way vs. the 4 way vs. the 3 way then ill go the simpler route, but if its marginally harder, i'd rather spend the time and have what i want(or think i want) first try.

any help or direction to go in would be mucho appreciated. i feel i could do the 3 way, but i dont know anyone who can help guide me along the way. i'll get pics of the project once it starts

chris
this is the guitar

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU0327502

and here are the wiring diagrams ive been looking at, the top 2, mainly the 2nd to top one so the volumes are completely independent

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.2_pickup_diagrams/

that would be for the 3 way switch obviosly, also i was thinking of the pull pots, but dont know alot. i wana do something that will make me wana play this as much or more than my standard tele. any ideas are welcome
Quote by chris024
im buying all new pots caps and wiring for it, should i go with 500k or somehting else for these pickups? and are the caps standard for guitars(i.e if i walk into a music store and ask for 2 guitar capacitors they wont ask me what resistance or whatever measurment they are in)

500K pots, yes. You can use any value from .022 uF - .047 uF. It's in microfarads.

Quote by chris024
is there an advantage to paying for the guitar wires(for pickup/switch wiring) from these online sites or will radioshack or home depot wires be the same(if theres a quality differece, then i'll pay for top product)

If you get the wire at an online site, like pedalpartsplus.com, you'll get nice pre-tinned wire. Which is nice, as pretinned is easier to shape into compact wiring, and also is easier to solder. Plus, smaller guage. I've used the wire from Radioshack, it's okay, just get the smallest guage you can. It works.
Quote by chris024
what kind of options do i have with my toggle switch? its the 3 way wired in a series right now... 4 way? 5 way? series/parrallel.. i have a fender standard tele as well(2 single coil) and ive been reading about the 4 way switch with the series/parrellel options for both pickups and im interested in doing that on that guitar as well(but thats for a different time). ive been reading a little about having only one of the pickups from each humbucker working at a time to get a single coil feel from it.

Wired in series? In 90% of guitars, when using a 3 or 5 way switch, wire the pickups in parallel. You'll need seperate switches to do any series/parallel options, or coil splits. You also need pickups with 4 wires. Take a picture of your switch, please.

Quote by chris024
then the obvious... wiring it all together. the pickups have red white black green and bare wires coming out of each. i would like each vol to control the pickups individually so i can kill the neck or bridge and use it as a killswitch/turn guitar off when setting it down. im not a pro at wiring, but im decent and can follow directions and will take my time. basically i want to give myself the most options i can with this guitar for sound without compramising the bridge and neck alone positions. if things are exponentially harder for the 5 way vs. the 4 way vs. the 3 way then ill go the simpler route, but if its marginally harder, i'd rather spend the time and have what i want(or think i want) first try.

Ah, so your pickups are 4 wire ones.
Here's the color code:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.11pickupcolorcodes/

So...you want master volumes for each pickup, no use of the 3 way switch? Hmm...Doesn't sound very versatile to me. It's a 2 humbucker guitar, right? Use the 3 way switch normally...and install DPDT push/pull pots for use as series/parallel switches for each humbucker. That's the most versatile setup, IMO. I don't find coil splits that usable.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Use the 3 way switch normally...and install DPDT push/pull pots for use as series/parallel switches for each humbucker. That's the most versatile setup, IMO. I don't find coil splits that usable.

ok i think i follow. now i would need 2 push pull 500k's and 2 regular pots? i like that idea much better than what i was thinking. where can i find the wiring diagram for all this at? if i go with hardware store wire just get small gauge electrical? i called my music shop and it sounded like they didnt have any for sale.

my switch is 3 connections on one side and one on the other, the single side im 99% sure is ground from previous wiring.
guitarelectronics.com might have it...It's a pretty standard setup.

Post in here if they don't, or if you have any other questions. For wire, check out Radioshack or something? Otherwise, order it online. Capacitors and pots are much cheaper online. I'd get the pots and capacitors from smallbearelec.com. They have the ones you need. As long as your guitar's wood top isn't too thick, they'll be fine.

Another good thing to remember about capacitors in a guitar circuit is that the material doesn't make a big difference. And that the rated voltage basically is just going to affect how big the capacitor is - the bigger the rating, the bigger the capacitor. You can just get the "Panasonic poly film" caps from smallbearelec.com, those'll work. I use .033uF caps in my SG, and I like them.

Sounds like your switch is a normal 3 way. Is it shaped like a box, by cahnce?
yeah rectangle box. im probobly gonna reuse the capacitors just cause they look fine, and can easily be taken out of the old wiring and re soldered back on the new setup.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2205

is this the one im looking for? i think i like that setup, a little different from what you were saying but same concept. looks a bit confusing but only cause i dont have that style pot to look at, btw that toggle switch has the same connections as mine.
Quote by chris024
Hi Chris!

Using a 5-way superswitch to replace your 3-way isn't really an option. It mounts differently than that toggle. Your wiring will be very similar to a Les Paul. You should visit the guitarnuts2 forum. http://guitarnuts2.proboards45.com/index.cgi Those guys have some incredible wiring schemes. You won't find tabs or much of anything else there. About all they are interested in is wiring. But they really do that right. iirc, they have a couple of "Jimmy Page" wiring schemes that do some amazing combinations. Definitely worth your time looking.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ok i like the 4 pull pot theory jimmy page uses, even though theres about 40 different ones. i found one that looks like what im looking for. ive read and looked at enough diagrams where i feel confident enough to wire it properly, just gonna have to brush up on my soldering skills.
Yes, I've seen many "Jimmy Page" wiring schemes in various places on the net. Some of them are really awful. They have certain combinations where the sound goes dead. Be careful. Make sure you don't have one of those.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i'll probobly use one of the ones off guitar electronics just cause it seems a safer bet for wiring diagrams vs. something someone drew in ms paint. still have to get my ass to the store and buy these parts though.
Umm...that one you pulled is okay...It gives you coil splits, and it has a reverse phase, and gives a series parallel option when using the pickups together. I don't use the middle position much, so I don't find that useful..
Let me look through the diagrams I have..
Here ya go:

Don't worry, I drew it up in Photoshop, not Paint.

The only difference being that when you get push/pull pots, the DPDT switch will be attached to the top of the pot. I was too lazy to illustrate that.
i dont use the middle position much either or ever for that matter, mine currently is just not as powerful as either of the other 2 but thats kinda why i want the series/parallel pot, so i will have that option. i like your idea there much less confusing as far as wiring, when i pull the 2 vol knobs then what will happen? switch them to single coil? or the series parallel option? also that way saves me 25 bucks or so. always a plus
oh the ms paint comment was just some of the diagrams i was looking at seemed kinda like ideas rather than working setups... if its right and readable its good enough.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Umm...that one you pulled is okay...It gives you coil splits, and it has a reverse phase, and gives a series parallel option when using the pickups together. I don't use the middle position much, so I don't find that useful..
Let me look through the diagrams I have..
Here ya go:

Don't worry, I drew it up in Photoshop, not Paint.

The only difference being that when you get push/pull pots, the DPDT switch will be attached to the top of the pot. I was too lazy to illustrate that.

hey what does the switches do?? and hmm so ay don need any schematic to solder to make the volume controls indipendent??
Oh, yeah, forgot to say that. The switches are for series/parallel switching, one does the neck, one does the bridge.

Saves 25 bucks? On what? switches? Push/pull pots aren't that expensive...Definitely not on smallbearelec.com...

I don't know what you mean by your last question, vigenharutyunya. Basically, if you wire it this way, when you're in the middle position, turning one pickup down all the way won't kill the entire signal.

Any other questions? BTW, I was just joking about the MS Paint thing, haha.