Page 1 of 2
im in the market for something to use in my setup so that i dont get tired of my mt-2 and figured that asking you guys and hearing what you have to say would be more helpful than trudin through a bunch of reviews.
Favorite distortion: ZVex Box of Metal

I'm really not a metal guy, but this thing is darn useful in many other circumstances. Onboard EQ and noise gate as well as the ability to turn virtually anything into a metal amp.

Favorite overdrive: Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

A particularly good 808 style OD, it comes with true bypass and a knob that basically allows you to blend the wet and dry signal.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I loves me my Big Muff. Not so awesome for metal, but its not made for that. If you want an OD on the cheap a Bad Monkey is awesome for the price. I love the fact it has more than a tone knob for EQ.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Distortion: Fulltone OCD or GT-500

Gives you quality mid-high gain distortion while retaining natural tube like tone (not at all metallic like your MT-2). The GT comes with a separate boost channel which can be place in front of or behind the drive channel, really cool.

Overdrive: Without question, the pedalworx TTS. This is one area I know more about than I would guess 90% of people on here (only because I spent way too much time/money in search of the perfect overdrive pedal). This has an awesome circuit that is designed to simulate an old fender being pushed. The pedal can go from completely transparent, to slight coloration, to crunchiness. The thing that really sold me is that it stays very true to your initial tone. On low settings the average person might not even notice the change, just perhaps think you are picking harder. It also has a built in boost that brings the drive level up to 3:00, regardless of where the knob it. So it's like having the pedal on two different settings at all times. I am rambling (I apologize), but this is probably the one piece of gear I've owned in all my years playing that I can truly say I am 100% happy with.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
the R-fier setting on my Cube is all i need, it sounds amazing.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
My favourite OD has gotta be the Marshall jackhammer. It has amazing tweakability, and sounds great for smooth leads when combined with my amp's drive channel. through the clean channel, it has that classic Marshall crunch to it, if a little harsher and thinner due to the fact its solid state components within a little metal casing. Much better than marshall MG distortion though. The Dist setting on my JH though, seems to have a serious bypass error when its run on batteries (i just checked while running on a soundlab DC power bank and the bypass problem seems to have gone). So if this is a characteristic of the jackhammer, and you are running it on batteries... don't.

My favourite distortion, well i'm torn between the solid, vicious sound of the Boss DS-2 and the slightly warmer, smoother sounding but more versatile ProCo Rat.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Distortion: Radial Tonebone Plexitube...no question...it's expensive but it's a Marshall in a Box and it's pretty versatile. It's also got a lot more gain on tap than your average non-metal pedal. Check out the other Tonebones too...all of them are great!

Overdrive: As much as I like my Maxon OD-9, I think the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive might be the best all around OD on the market. It doesn't have as much gain as the Maxon, but it's a tad cheaper (though still pretty expensive) and it's more versatile.

If budget's an issue look at a Boss BD-2 (think Tubescreamer with less mids and more gain) or a Digitech Bad Monkey for an OD and probably a Marshall Guv'Nor for British distortion and a Boss DS-2 for modern distortion.
MIM Fender Strat
Shecter Blackjack ATX
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Godin SD
Norman ST40
Yamaha CG-171S
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonebone Plexitube
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Maxon OD-9

Highway 1 Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Tonebone Classic
I consider the OCD an overdrive and the Big Muff a distortion, so there's my two (for now anyway).
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Barber tone pump for overdrive best 808 out there. Barber burn unit or the mi audio crunch box for distortion.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
ok.... so first we need to know what amp you are playing through.... without that all the previous posts/recommendations are without merit.

Not to say they are not valid... but..... what tones are you trying to get with this OD/Distortion? Do you play through tubes? without these questions answered we are all just guessing blindly....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by rageandlove04
I consider the OCD an overdrive and the Big Muff a distortion, so there's my two (for now anyway).

yep it's an overdrive and so is the GT-500, though that ones is overdrive and distortion - like two pedals in one unit.

based on this review, once I get a tube amp this will be my pedal of choice.

http://www.fulltone.com/PDfFiles/GT500%20GP%20Review.pdf
Quote by AJBoy238
Jekyll & Hyde is where its at, i wouldnt trade mine for anything.
Just bought one on eBay today for $78 incl s&h. I hope I like as much as you.

I also like my Nady TD-1 tube based pedal. I have a Rat2 to compare it against and the TD-1 is better IMO.
man I'm gonna seem like a dick.... but PLEASE stop posting recommendations until my earlier questions are answered. Until then you are all just throwing darts at a target thats a mile away while wearing a blindfold and facing the wrong way!

I know he asked "whats your favorite" but that's not the crux of the question to be answered....
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Last edited by brianthemayan at Apr 16, 2008,
Quote by brianthemayan
man I'm gonna seem like a dick.... but PLEASE stop posting recommendations until my earlier questions are answered. Until then you are all just throwing darts at a target thats a mile away while wearing a blindfold and facing the wrong way!

I know he asked "whats your favorite" but that's not the crux of the question to be answered....
Nobody cares about the crux or your question. He asked... "what's your favorite". Besides your question doesn't even address what style of music he likes, which is more important than the amp.
Quote by brianthemayan

no thats basically what i wanted. i figured you guys would tell me your favs and then i could check them out in my freetime.
Quote by HugoMadizon
but to answer your question, iplay through a crate vox or marshall tube

Marshall tube is a little.... Vague?

At least it's not an MG or AVT.
yeah i know but shes old and doesnt say much else then that. besides i use my crate more
i really liked the ehx english muff'n that i played. worked well as both an overdrive and a distortion. might be better for distortion, so for an overdrive i really like my keeley moded ts-9. its basicly a ts808, so something like a maxon one of those would be excellent.
Quote by HugoMadizon
im in the market for something to use in my setup so that i dont get tired of my mt-2 and figured that asking you guys and hearing what you have to say would be more helpful than trudin through a bunch of reviews.

this implies you are looking for options on some pedal to add to your pedal board...NOT what is everyones favorite pedal.....on top of that you are doing so to avoid reading reviews. Knowing what tones you are going for will greatly help in narrowing your options. Without that you have gotten this list:

Zvex Box of Metal
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX Big Muff
Bad Monkey
Fulltone OCD
GT-500
Pedalworx TTS
R-fier on a cube
Jekyll & Hyde
Marshall Jackhammer
Boss DS2
Pro-Co Rat
Radial Tonebone Plexitube
Maxon OD-9
Marshall Guvnor
Barbertone Pump
MI audio crunchbox
Nady TD-1
Blues Pro
EHX English Muffin
Keely Modded ts-9 (like and 808)

you may as well have just gone to the music store and tried out EVERY pedal they have there......

with out any direction NONE of these recommendations do ANYTHING for you.

Quote by fly135
Nobody cares about the crux or your question. He asked... "what's your favorite". Besides your question doesn't even address what style of music he likes, which is more important than the amp.

The crux of the question is all that really matters.... go back and read it again.... and re-read my original post... I asked what tones he was looking for... which implies style of music..... and the style of music/tones he is looking for will be MORE effected by the amp, when considering marriage of amp with dirt box.

Quote by HugoMadizon
no thats basically what i wanted. i figured you guys would tell me your favs and then i could check them out in my freetime.

If thats what you wanted then thats what you got.....refer to the list that I made of VASTLY differing dirt boxes that have been recommended to you.... my favorite is a Maxon 808 into an AC30... but I play mostly blues, rock and jazz... no way I could EVER get metal tones with that. If you are looking for metal tones then my recommendation is WORTHLESS..... and so is everyone elses without knowing what it is you are looking to accomplish.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I like my Big Muff.

As far as overdrive, I really like the Boss blues driver.

and I must say that I really want a Zvex woolly mammoth and a box of metal(which is like the bastard son of satan[a good thing])
to be honest i have now come to prefer only the natural distortion of an amp. fake distortion absolutely makes me queeze now that i've experienced the greatness of picking dynamics and organic tone. i DO believe in OD pedals though, i don't consider them 'fake' distortion, they just push the signal more so in tube amps they cause the tubes to put in overtime. and as far as ODs go, i'll take a Bad Monkey anyday. probably the best bang for your buck pedal that exists as of this moment.

but really....i hate distortion pedals. not cuz i'm a tube nazi, but b/c of the idea of them. they're FAKE simulations of hi gain TUBE amps that really do exist. understandable completely to use one if you don't have the money for all tube gain, BUT u'd never convince me that the tone is better than all tube.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
is it just me or do bad mankeys only sound good with strats? cuz i thought i liked it then with a paul it sounded not so hot.

personaly if your like me... not a millionare SD-1.. but now that they went back up to 60 idk
If its not fender than whatever]
bad monkeys sound great w/ any guitar, you just have to set it up right. my SG sounds fantastic through a tube amp and bad monkey, especially when it's on the dirty channel. once i get my blackheart from the shop i'll post a short youtube vid so people can hear both the tones of the amp on its own AND the bad monkey.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I love my B52 At-100 half stacks gain when the volume is past 4. Its really nice the way the mids grind out of the thing. I can get a perfect tone that just sounds like me.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
to be honest i have now come to prefer only the natural distortion of an amp. fake distortion absolutely makes me queeze now that i've experienced the greatness of picking dynamics and organic tone. i DO believe in OD pedals though, i don't consider them 'fake' distortion, they just push the signal more so in tube amps they cause the tubes to put in overtime. and as far as ODs go, i'll take a Bad Monkey anyday. probably the best bang for your buck pedal that exists as of this moment.

but really....i hate distortion pedals. not cuz i'm a tube nazi, but b/c of the idea of them. they're FAKE simulations of hi gain TUBE amps that really do exist. understandable completely to use one if you don't have the money for all tube gain, BUT u'd never convince me that the tone is better than all tube.

Yeah i kinda agree but i think fuzz (if you still count it as distortion) can sound good when used right.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Metal Muff FTW.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
to dzaerpoor, i don't exactly count fuzz as distortion it's hard for ME to classify it. i view it more of an effect. depends on how much of it is actual fuzz and how much is dist. if it's a fuzz that sounds more like dist. w/ some fuzz, then i consider it distortion. if it's mostly just fuzz w/ some gain, then it's a fuzz effect.

and fuzz is pretty olschool and badass i must say.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005

i agree with what you say but i do think that a good tube distortion pedal also can sound groovy. i prefer using my tube pedal to my tube amp.
any of the MI audio od pedals ie the blue boy deluxe and crunchbox
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
its actually funny, because an overdrive is meant to simulate the sound of a tube amp being pushed to overdrive. and thats exactly what you said you dont like distortion pedals for. yet you like overdrive pedals...

really, a nice distortion pedal can add a ton of great character to a good setup. if you find a pedal that complements what you have already, it can be good. if you instead find a cheap dist pedal thats just for kicks, then of course its not gonna sound good. but a quality pedal, ah, thats a different story.
to no_thing:

tube pedals are a different story of course. i assume they produce much nicer tone than MOST digital distortion pedals. i wish i could try one out.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Favorite OD?
Blackstone Appliances Mosfet OD

Actually, if I could afford/jusitfy it, I would run: Paul Cochrane Timmy-->Blackstone OD-->Skreddy Pink Flesh
My favorite distortion is a Toneczar Openhaus.

And my favorite OD is a Skreddy Screwdriver.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Page 1 of 2