I am a relatively new guitarist and I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus about 6 months ago. I have been noticing that if I put it in Drop D and play the open D on the 6th string, it will go in and out of tune. It's like it will begin on the right pitch, and then go flat. I have tried replacing the strings.

What to do?
Did you stretch in the strings properly?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Strings are stretched.

Normally I tune straight down but I have also tried going lower and tuning up.

Is there something I can adjust (or have adjusted)?
Try some graphite (pencil lead) at the nut. There might not be enough tension at the tuning post to "hold" in tune. A thicker gauge string may help. My Epi LP Std + was modded with Sperzel locking tuners before I bought it...a mod like this would eliminate the problem for good.
Hmm. Let me clarify then let me know if that fix will still apply. It is like the pitch bends out of tune after I play the string, but then it goes back. For example...

Say 0 is in tune and as the number increases it is changing pitch. In this case it seems to be flat. Eat number is a second.

0 1 2 1 1 1 1 0

So it is in tune right as I hit it then goes out a good bit then slowly comes back. It makes playing an open D power chord sound really off.
0.o

spooky sh*t man... does this happen if you pluck the string in a gently way? I mean, don't STRUM it like in the "f.uck yeah" kind of way, just... just pick it. What happens?
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
Last edited by dilbert_5150 at Apr 16, 2008,
When picking a string they always start a LITTLE bit sharp and then return to 'in tune'. Maybe you're picking wrong or too hard? Do you pick with just the tip of the pick?
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm heading home from work now. I'll experiment some more and let you know tomorrow.
I tuned up a little but but it just seems I have to play extra light to keep it sounding nice. Not sure if there's anything else to do. Is there an adjustment on the bridge or something that would affect it?
Dropping the tuning will affect intonation a bit. Adjust for that at the bridge. Even in dropped D the twelfth fret harmonic should be in tune as the open note (D). I sense that if it starts in tune, slips out, and then back in, the string is not held properly at the nut. As the string vibrates it "pulls" it out of tune. Then as the vibes diminish it returns to in tune. A much goofier remedy may be to install a string tree much like a bass would have.
Quote by wildyoda2
I sense that if it starts in tune, slips out, and then back in, the string is not held properly at the nut. As the string vibrates it "pulls" it out of tune. Then as the vibes diminish it returns to in tune.

That sounds exactly like the problem! So is that the intonation? I don't recall checking open and 12. Is there something like a professional setup that guitar stores offer? Where they go though and tune everything?
Thank you for all your help. I have fixed the problem. I took the guitar to a shop and had them look at it. The guy found two thing.

1. The strings I was using were super slinkys (9) and on a Les Paul, they apparently feel loose (as apposed to a strat).

2. The neck was slight bent the wrong way. He said this was partially to the strings and then I should also turn the truss rod a hair.

So I bought a pair of regular slinkys (10) and put them on. Then I adjusted the neck.

Seems to sound much better now!