So my 5th and 6th string love to vibrate on their own. I'm 100% sure i'm not grazing them by accident. I've checked. I played only the 9th fret of the 4th string, muted it (left handed) and heard a ringing and buzzing from my 6th string until I muted that one. All this time I thought I was just playing very, very sloppily because I'm new.

I'm using a Jay Turser 200D and an Epiphone Studio 10 I got with my old Squier. Any thoughts on ways to fix this? It's totally ruining my sound because the vibrations ring on for SO long.
Not loud at all for my amp. Gain's on 5, Volume at 2. Level on my DS-1 pedal is almost off. And fixed bridge
If you mean G with 4th string and the high E with 6th string, it might be because of resonance (9th fret on G is E).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
If you mean G with 4th string and the high E with 6th string, it might be because of resonance (9th fret on G is E).

i thought of that too but he says it's the 9th fret on the D...
hm, in testing it more, I think it's the wood. When I tap on the body I get a LOT of vibration and noise. A ton more than I feel I should be getting. Maybe my guitar's made of crappy wood and it's transmitting the vibration to other strings? Also, sometimes the sound the 6th string gives off is louder than my crappy pull-offs...kind of embarassing.
Quote by kibokun
hm, in testing it more, I think it's the wood. When I tap on the body I get a LOT of vibration and noise. A ton more than I feel I should be getting. Maybe my guitar's made of crappy wood and it's transmitting the vibration to other strings? Also, sometimes the sound the 6th string gives off is louder than my crappy pull-offs...kind of embarassing.

you have an extremely strange guitar...

save up for a new one ?
Quote by The red Strat.
you have an extremely strange guitar...

save up for a new one ?

lmao, I like the way you think. ::spendaholic::

I'll take it to the pro in town and see if any quick adjustments can fix it. If not, well I might get a new one later in the year and I definitely wont spend just $300 on it again.
Welcome to the wonderful world of resonance. Certain frequencies will make virtually everything on the guitar vibrate pretty much all the time. This also (on a somewhat different note) explains how feedback works.

Note that it's good practice to mute unplayed strings anyway. The more resonant the guitar, the more of a problem it will be. And if you turn it up really loud it'll generate that much more feedback that much more easily.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
i get open-string resonance when i'm playing single notes and not muting the other strings. like even if i play the 7th or 9th fret on the G-string, my open D-string will resonate. its just the laws of physics.
Pretty weird problem. You could probably fix it with a noise gate, or there is an outside chance that the pickups are adjusted too close to the strings.
hmm, thanks a lot for the responses. I'll try to find a lot of those resonant points and mute accordingly. Things just got a lot harder. hehe

Ah and a noise gate would be great, but I think I'll get an amp that doesn't suck before any of that. heh. Reverb would probably cover that random stuff up until I can play without mistakes, too, right?
Quote by kibokun
hmm, thanks a lot for the responses. I'll try to find a lot of those resonant points and mute accordingly. Things just got a lot harder. hehe

Ah and a noise gate would be great, but I think I'll get an amp that doesn't suck before any of that. heh. Reverb would probably cover that random stuff up until I can play without mistakes, too, right?

masking slopiness with effects is the wrong way to go, best to just practice muting those unplayed strings
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by kibokun

My old Ibanez used to do that, would make all kinds of racket if you taped it or bumped it. On the bright side I used to get some trippy resonance distortion with a few well placed taps or thumps.

Also make sure you strings aren't to close to the pickups the magnetic field from them can do trippy stuff like that form time to time.